versus battle for a n00b

I've been reading what people have answered me in a previous post and been also listening to suggestions from other people.

Since price is a factor (and I live in Portugal, so no rebates available here) I put the question: Magellan eXplorist 210 (180euros) or Garmin eTrex Venture Cx(254 euros, I have the cable but no card)?

Edited by nollscoffen

There's no rebate option here so that's my final price.

The thing is, I've been reading about the extra functionalities in Venture Cx and they look great but having to pay for a mem card on top of the 74 euros difference really hurts my budget...

That is why I'm aiming for the Magellan but still thinking if it's a good option for 180 euros...

Edited by nollscoffen

I've decided to go for the Magellan, already ordered it from a website. Because tomorrow is a holiday I'll only get it on thursday... :laughing:

I just got a Magellan eXplorist 210 in from amazon.com yesterday, and I immediately took it out for a try on 2 close by geocaches.

First of all, it was very easy to operate. I had the entire unit figured out in about 15 minutes. Later that evening, I figured out the USB and filesystem feaures, and successfully uploaded all my local geocaches to it from my Mac (GPX pocket queries converted to the Magellan GS format via GPSBabel). It works beautifully.

I have never used a handheld GPS before this, as I have done all my geocaching with a PDA and bluetooth GPS receiver. I purchased the Magellan because I wanted something more rugged. This is something I definately can hand over to my 7 year old son and not be fearful that it's going to shatter if he drops it (can't say that about my dell axim pda).

I wanted to compare the 210 with my existing GPS setup on the 2 caches. I handed my 7 year old son the 210 and I took my PDA and we went after the first cache. The first one was about 10 feet inside a tree line near a wide open field. Both units were pretty much dead on accurate. The second cache was located about 100 feet inside a heavily wooded forest. Both units bounced around a bit, but they both held signal well. The 210 actually got us closer to the cache than my PDA GPS, which had us about 30 feet further NW of it. I don't think it's enough of a difference to say that the 210 is superior, but I was very happy with it so far. Especially considering my PDA's bluetooth GPS receiver is a SiRF III based unit that is attached to the top of my backpack, so it should be getting slightly better reception at all times...

In summary-- I think you will be happy, I know I am. I think this is a fine unit for geocaching.

i got my 210 about 4 months ago when it was rated top on amazon its dropped now and the gps map 60 has risen to the top but i am indeed satisfied but i need some help getting it to charge. i read in the help section on my gps and it said i could charge it with rechargable batteries but it hasnt seemed to work so im asking if anyone knows how i can get this to charge its using 2 energizer rechargable batteries now