Rose Garden Group started

Hi, quite awhile back the "Garden Group" was started to create a Rose Garden category and nothing ever became of it. I talked with the leader and they were fine with me taking the category on as a leader and moving things forward.

We do need officers so if you're interested let me know.

Below I've laid out what I have for the category.

Thanks,

Hikenutty

ROSE GARDENS

Throughout history and around the world the rose, an ancient symbol of love and beauty, is a much loved ornamental shrub. Many cities have developed formal rose gardens to showcase their beauty and fragrance to the public, and this category seeks to waymark those public gardens for all to enjoy.

The gardens waymarked in this category must be gardens that were designed specifically for the showcasing of roses and must be designated by a sign, or by information on the garden’s website that the garden is a “Rose Garden”. The garden must be open to the public at least some of the time. No front yards, or private gardens, no matter how pretty they are.

To place a waymark:

Required: Coordinates of main entrance, photo of sign, wide shot photo of the garden designated as default picture for site, Name of garden

Optional: Address, hours, fee?, year opened, garden owners, History and additional info

To log: Picture of self or GPS with favorite rose – name of the rose and why you like it.

Hi, quite awhile back the "Garden Group" was started to create a Rose Garden category and nothing ever became of it. I talked with the leader and they were fine with me taking the category on as a leader and moving things forward.

We do need officers so if you're interested let me know.

Below I've laid out what I have for the category.

The gardens waymarked in this category must be gardens that were designed specifically for the showcasing of roses and must be designated by a sign, or by information on the garden’s website that the garden is a “Rose Garden”. The garden must be open to the public at least some of the time. No front yards, or private gardens, no matter how pretty they are.

What about sections of larger gardens that have sections within them that are specifically for roses? They may or may not have signage. I'm think, for instance, of the spectacular Butchart Gardens in Victoria, BC. It is a vast area, but there is a significant rose garden that is part of it.

Also, would you require some actual rose photos?

Be glad to help you with this category.

Good point. Any ideas how to allow gardens with rose sections that have no specific signage but avoid waymarks of a rose bed, rather than large garden section. I've been to Butchart Gardens and that would definitely be a good waymark. Hmm... I hate using those rules like "Garden must have at least X number of rose bushes" Maybe ask for an approximate square foot area?

I'd like there to be a wide shot of the garden as the default picture and a sign shot if a sign's available. Then as people visit they can upload additional shots of favorite roses or sections of the garden.

I'll send you an invite, Silverquill, and then get the category set up so the group can tweak it.

Edited by Hikenutty

Cool Category. I'm not sure about number of rose plants, or square footage of the rose section, but if a garden is large enough to have a Rose section instead of just a bed with a few plants, might there not be a map or a guide that would show the designated rose section(s)? In that case, a photo of the map or guide could perhaps justify it's entry into the category?