Ratings

Q-Team

Rating:

It would be nice to be able to rate a cache. Just something simple, like how netflix rates movies. Maybe break it out to a couple of areas like difficulty, terrain, and overall. Then we can get a better picture of how the community in general views the cache versus just the cache owner. Having this would make a nice field to sort on in searches.

If you can handle a little html you can use something like Keenpeople's rate a cache, off hand here's the only example I could find using it. But I think there are other similar systems out there. Its something you can add yourself, and right now. Getting geocaching.com probably isn't going to happen anytime soon (if ever), usually when this topic comes up it breaks down into a number of smaller discussions about things like: if ratings would help or hurt caches, how to keep the ratings even/legit, what things to rate / how to rate, who gets to rate/ when, (and probably a couple others I forgot about).

Okay, I couldn't even stay out of the conversation for 1 full day. In the end, I really would like to get some responces on the system I proposed in the last thread. It seems to be an option that has the fewest overall objections

Most people seem much more hospitable to the idea of compiled favorites list (i.e. Best of the Best.) than other options and I think that would be a fine idea. Now in that, many of those aggragate lists utilize a percentage i.e. the top 10%. A problem with that is that to enforce 10%, it would have to be linked to number of finds, which is something everyone is kind of skittish about. (I mean anyone could go add a bunch of finds to their lists just so they could vote. This does also tend to favor park and grabbers. I would hate to be an epic cacher that only does 5/5 and not be able to recommend all of them that are incredible). Some cachers would add more caches to their favorites, some would add less, in the end, it would even out.

So here is my thought. First, I think we have to do away with the percentage idea. It makes sense in theory, but I think a general compilation of favorites lists accomplishes the same goal without having to touch the dreaded numbers conversation.

Now here is the kicker... in order to facilitate ease of use, on the cache log page there would be a check box labeled "Would you like to add this cache to your 'Recommended' list?" and every user (or PM only) would have a recommended cache list which they could edit as any other favorites list.

Everything else functions just the same, we just make it easier for people to create their lists. Thus encouraging input from the community.

Here is why I think I am on to something. It is all positive so no one gets their egos hurt. It makes the compiled favorites list (Best of the Best) easier to use and easier to manage. Basically, we just look at that check box as a easy way to add a cache to a favorites list. (and noone objects to using favorites - this just simplifies the process).

Now there are some options here. We can leave it as a normal favorites list, so when you go the cache page you can see whose list the cache is on. Or, we could not show whose list the cache is on, but keep a running tally on the top ("Recommended by 15 Finders" or "10 of 40 Finders Recommend This Cache (25%)" or "Recommended by 5 Finders"). If you can see who recommends it, local cachers can follow the advice of cachers they trust.

At a minimum, there could be some search function. I am indifferent as to how specific it is. It could be something as simple as a box on the PQ form that says "Only caches that have been recommended" or something more specific "Caches that have are recommended by __% or better." You could even have a link to: "Most recommended caches in (insert state here)" Although I think that last idea would generally be a bad idea.

In Sum: At a minimum, the above system encourages favorite lists and thus gives our community more input. At best, it gives people some sort of search function without hurting anyone's feelings. It would be easy to use, easy to ignore, provide helpful information even to those against rating systems (in fact, this is not a rating system, it is a recommendation / favorites system).

Any thoughts? I honestly think this idea could appease most people (with some tweaking). Oh and lets not play devil's advocate to the extreme here, yes I know people can set up sock puppet accounts, etc, etc, etc. Lets work under the general assumption that people are honest (after all, we do leave our possessions out in the open and tell people where they are and hope they do not steal them).

BTW, I did edit this post slightly for clarity.

SG-MIN, your idea still can't say that the cache was rated highly by people who like the same types of caching experiences as you.

I'm not sure just how the mechanics work but if you purchase a DVD from one of many online sorces you often get a message like "Those who purchased this movie also purchased that movie".

Would such a system work for caching? "Those cachers who rated this cache highly also liked these caches"

SG-MIN, your idea still can't say that the cache was rated highly by people who like the same types of caching experiences as you.

I'm not sure just how the mechanics work but if you purchase a DVD from one of many online sorces you often get a message like "Those who purchased this movie also purchased that movie".

Would such a system work for caching? "Those cachers who rated this cache highly also liked these caches"

I consider what you are suggesting "Phase II" of this project. :D