Changing log type to "needs maintenance" doesn't set attribute

ExTechOp

When I was reporting a cache as needing maintenance, I mistakenly initially entered a second "found" log. When I corrected this by changing the log type, the attribute "needs maintenance" did not get set for the cache, nor did I get the warning one usually gets about logging "needs maintenance". The log did get save normally, though.

When an action is associated with a log, I believe you need to submit it with the correct log type on the first attempt. As another example, the "Needs Archived" log triggers an e-mail notification to the appropriate volunteer cache reviewer. If you change a Note or a DNF or a Needs Maintenance log to a "Needs Archived," the message never gets sent.

I recommend deleting the first "Needs Maintenance" log and starting all over, in order to set the flag/attribute on the cache page.

When I log a Needs Maintenance does it add to by found caches number? Or do I need to log "found it" as well?

A "Needs Maintenance" does NOT add to your find count...you will need to also log a find.

thanks

That doesn't make sense, if you can flag a cache as needs maintenance, you have obviously found it!

I would suggest that "Needs Maintenance" is simply a special case of "Found It". I can't think of any circumstance where you could tag it as Needs Maintenance but you have not found it.

The only other form of maintenance could be one where you see that the area is flooded and can't find the cache but suspect that it needs attention.

When I log a Needs Maintenance does it add to by found caches number? Or do I need to log "found it" as well?

A "Needs Maintenance" does NOT add to your find count...you will need to also log a find.

thanks

That doesn't make sense, if you can flag a cache as needs maintenance, you have obviously found it!

I would suggest that "Needs Maintenance" is simply a special case of "Found It". I can't think of any circumstance where you could tag it as Needs Maintenance but you have not found it.

The only other form of maintenance could be one where you see that the area is flooded and can't find the cache but suspect that it needs attention.

Finding the remnants of a cache is not the same as finding a cache. Though I know a few cacher's who think it perfectly valid to log a find if they've located the heat signature where the cache used to be.

Finding the remnants of a cache is not the same as finding a cache. Though I know a few cacher's who think it perfectly valid to log a find if they've located the heat signature where the cache used to be.

A few months ago, when I arrived at Ground Zero for the final stage of a complicated multi cache, all I found were several business cards with the cache owner's "caching name" strewn around on the ground. There was no sign of any cache container. The cache owner confirmed later that the cache itself had been muggled. I entered a "Needs Maintenance" log for the cache, based on the business card evidence, but didn't log a Find for the cache, since all I found were a bunch of business cards (which I picked up and disposed of, since they were also hopelessly waterlogged). When the cache owner replaced the container, I went back to the site, found it, and signed the logbook. Then I logged the Find.

--Larry

I've returned to a cache that I had found previously to retrieve a TB or when I've gone with a friend that hasn't done it before.

If I I log a Needs Maintenance at that time, it is not a Found.

A NM Log is used to give specific details about the condition of the cache, not if you found it. That way you can take down your NM log if the Owner does "Perform Maintenance", should you wish without deleting your Find.

:anitongue: The Blue Quasar