Make someones day with a geocoin.

UOTrackers

Would any one be interested in establishing a date to put unactivated coins into caches just for the great feeling you would get knowing someone would find it and it would make their day? Yeah this might sound corny, I was just thinking back on some of the coins I've left behind, the messages I've received from the finders, the joy it brought me knowing that I left something really great for the next finder. I don't know how many people put unactivated or keeper coins in caches but I thought it would be cool to maybe pick a day where anyone interested in participating left a coin in a cache. Imagine your possibilities of being out later that day or that week and fiding in a cache a coin for you to keep! Wouldn't that make you smile?!

Am I just too naive to think this would work or is anyone interested?

I'm in! Tell me when and I'll be out to make the deposit. I'm not parting with my Tracking Time coin though! It's my favorite. Of course, I couldn't compare it to one of those UOTrackers coins because I wasn't able to pick one up while in South Carolina ... I was looking though!

Seriously, I'm in, great idea.

I have left several unactivated coins in caches; my caches.

I have a note asking for a fair trade, suggesting they leave something worth $5 to $6. This helps keep the quality of the trade items high. I have noticed that some people pass on the coin, possibly because of this. I have a coin sitting in one of my caches for several months and some people have not taken it. I usually do not mention that the coin is there on the cache page or my owner's logs.

I do this very often, especially in one of my mystery caches. Seems around the sticks (where I live) the mystery caches often go un-cached, so this gets people's interest up....and like many have written, I love the posts and reactions from the lucky finders. I also give coins out at events.....just yesterday gave one away at an air show. I'm in.....let's pick a day.....February 14th..."ThanksGIVING :D Day"

Hi all,

We have only been caching for about 6 months and left our first Un-activated coin in a new cache of ours yesterday, we can hardly wait to see what reaction we get :D . It's not someting that happens that much down here in NZ but we would like to leave more ($ permitting), It is a bit harder/costly to get coins down here but we are still keen on leaving a few more so like this idea.

Mark

Hi all,

We have only been caching for about 6 months and left our first Un-activated coin in a new cache of ours yesterday, we can hardly wait to see what reaction we get :) . It's not someting that happens that much down here in NZ but we would like to leave more ($ permitting), It is a bit harder/costly to get coins down here but we are still keen on leaving a few more so like this idea.

Mark

I would LOVE to live in NZ (I'm a LOTR fan too). Maybe we can send you a couple of our coins to take up residence for us incase we never get to?!

Hi all,

We have only been caching for about 6 months and left our first Un-activated coin in a new cache of ours yesterday, we can hardly wait to see what reaction we get :) . It's not someting that happens that much down here in NZ but we would like to leave more ($ permitting), It is a bit harder/costly to get coins down here but we are still keen on leaving a few more so like this idea.

Mark

I would LOVE to live in NZ (I'm a LOTR fan too). Maybe we can send you a couple of our coins to take up residence for us incase we never get to?!

Sounds good, sent you mail.

FYI "Edoras" is just inland from us, and there's a cacher near here, "Grandalf!"

Quick question, the coins to be released, I assume they could be anything (Trackable)? I would need a few weeks notice of the release date so I could order coins and get down here in time.

Edited to add; Our first coin give away was picked up today, he seemed averagely happy from the log, which is a little strange considering it is his very first owned trackable! :) (He is pretty new to caching) Thought he would have been stoaked!(Extremely happy). He also made more trades, cleaning out the new cache of the best of the other trades I left :( , BUT I will still leave more coins as "gifts" as I feel most would appreciate more than in this case.

Edited by Team chelmo

OK, so I had this idea before the Secret Missions, and just remembered it, and was thinking, is there still interest in this? Maybe this could be an in between month thing along with the missions? Any new thoughts on this?

Interest, yup I just purchased 100 coins from Steve at Hogwild coins for wild release.

These coins are to be dropped in caches unactivated for others to find and enjoy. They are not mission coins but are his new traveler coin. If people are interested in dropping some in caches please let me know and we will get you some to drop in caches in your area.

L&L

PIF

OK, so I had this idea before the Secret Missions, and just remembered it, and was thinking, is there still interest in this? Maybe this could be an in between month thing along with the missions? Any new thoughts on this?

Interest, yup I just purchased 100 coins from Steve at Hogwild coins for wild release.

These coins are to be dropped in caches unactivated for others to find and enjoy. They are not mission coins but are his new traveler coin. If people are interested in dropping some in caches please let me know and we will get you some to drop in caches in your area.

L&L

PIF

WOW, you ROCK PIF!!!

L&L

PIF

Email sent :D

L&L

PIF

People like you are what caching is all about !! :D

e-mail sent

<snip>

Of course for those who go out and steal coins, this becomes "make a sweep and pick up a boatload of geocoins for free" day! :D

<snip>

Which is exactly what would happen in my area. Too bad ... I like the idea, though.

Of course, if they aren't activated, the coin thieves wouldn't know what caches they are in since they wouldn't show up. :D

<snip>

Of course for those who go out and steal coins, this becomes "make a sweep and pick up a boatload of geocoins for free" day! :D

<snip>

Which is exactly what would happen in my area. Too bad ... I like the idea, though.

Of course, if they aren't activated, the coin thieves wouldn't know what caches they are in since they wouldn't show up. :D

Yes and you can always back track to log the find. There's also a kinda sneaky way to do it, when we were about to hit #100 find we went out to cache all day. I brought with me a bag of coins from different countries and 1 UOTrackers Geocoin, so when I logged a cache I simply wrote left a coin, which I did! So if anyone was after the geocoin they would have to visit all the caches we hit that day. In the end though someone picked up the coin and never even mentioned it :D oh well it was still fun, and I've dropped many more since then.

We were given our first coin at an event - an Allwayslooking_99 coin - given to us by allwayslooking! We appreciated it, and its a special one for us, because not only was it our first OWNED coin - but the first coin we EVER saw in person WAS an allwayslooking coin.

So... that was pretty darn cool.

Havent found any unactivated ones in caches - this area seems to be a breeding ground for McToys. LOL

And I also do agree... PIF is indeed one classy individual for many reasons.

L&L

PIF

You are so generous. I'm interested in helping your drop some into the wild here in Somerset, PA for you.

I'm also interested in participating by droping some of my unactivated coins too! Great idea.

...Anthus

L&L

PIF

Also interested if this is still open but still interested in this idea if not what day?

TheCollector

How would the person picking it up know who it was from? I kind of like the idea of "adopting them out". Anyways, I'd be willing do it around here.

That part is simple I have made up a little card that is put in the coin sleeve. It is designed on an Avery 10 card per sheet business card, and you get three per card or 30 per sheet.

You can grab a copy of the PDF file from my box.net account.

L&L

PIF

L&L

PIF

email sent!

when i get my Geo-40 coins, i will be dropping those into caches for people to find

I wish I was rich or could work out a deal on a design in exchange for some coins so I could release a few unactivated coins. I am envious and I bet it is very rewarding to do that. I think it would be neat to just hand a new guy a coin (not that I am completely a veteran but think I am past the newbie phase) at an event so I would be able to educate the individual and explain how it works. This way he/she is educated on how the logging process works and such, plus I would get the immediate satisfaction of seeing the reaction in person rather than in print. I myself have only seen 1 coin in the wild but was activated and I moved it quickly it made me so nervous having it in my possession lol. This is a very kewl concept though. Actually it just occured to me that if you handed a person a coin face to face this woudl illiminate the posibility of caches being pilphered (sic). Just a thought.

Peace

jAY miLLS

So here's a wild thought and not meant to bash anybody or this idea?

Why not do this all the time?

With all the complaints about garbage in caches, lack of coins in the wild, etc. - why not make it a practice to place unactivated coins in caches all the time?

I'm not going to say that 100% altruistic and that I place an unactivated coin in every cache I find, but I (and a lot of folks in this area) do put them out there.

I just don't think we need a special day to do this - it should be a regular practice for those who enjoy coins.

And don't get me wrong, I participated in the Secret Santa and thought it was fun but now there are a bunch more of these "projects" to the point where it seems that everybody needs some type of motivation to drop coins in caches, or some type of recognition for doing so.

The best thing you can do is to place them and know that somebody (whether they mention it in their log or not) was happy to find it.

Edited by kealia

This is a great idea, it would be very cool for everybody posts what cache they left the coin in then we could all watch and see what people write. We leave unactivated coins in caches all the time and really like it when people find them and take the time to email a thank you but I really like it when people trade fairly for even trade up. We had one cacher that found one of our United We Cache coins that we left but did not have any swag so they ran back into town bought a gift card and drove back out to the cache to drop it off. I am all for this idea I think its great!

So here's a wild thought and not meant to bash anybody or this idea?

Why not do this all the time?

I do!!! All the time! I just thought it would be a neat thing, like our own little holiday. I don't know that's kinda corny, but that was my thought. I also know you weren't directing that towards me, but I think I have easily dropped, donated or just plain given away easily 50-60 coins last year alone. Probably more than that, but I don't care. It was tough for us to get started into coins because of the initial cost, but it's so much fun I enjoy sharing it. I explain this to clients all the time (I'm a massage therapist) I just like to make people feel good, I like making them smile, so I try my best to do that!

This is a great idea, it would be very cool for everybody posts what cache they left the coin in then we could all watch and see what people write. We leave unactivated coins in caches all the time and really like it when people find them and take the time to email a thank you but I really like it when people trade fairly for even trade up. We had one cacher that found one of our United We Cache coins that we left but did not have any swag so they ran back into town bought a gift card and drove back out to the cache to drop it off. I am all for this idea I think its great!

I still think this is a great idea too, I'll let more people chime in on it, but if we do end up setting this up I think I will come up with some sort of tag your can print out to include with your coin, what do you think? Something that describes why it's in the cache, what it is and how they can be used (travelers/collection items) how to trade for it etc...

I will come up with some sort of tag your can print out to include with your coin, what do you think?

Sounds good to me, we usually print off a coin card with our cachin' logo (see avatar) with this text on the back. You have found an unactiavted geocoin it's yours to keep please trade fair. I would be willing set up some kind of website where we can post what coins were left in what caches, or something along those lines.

Jake

Edited by Team Jsam

L&L

PIF

I posted to this when it first came up, I think it's a great idea. Coins are an extension to caching and are sure to bring joy to all that come across them :rolleyes:

PIF you've got mail :lol:

I will come up with some sort of tag your can print out to include with your coin, what do you think?

Sounds good to me, we usually print off a coin card with our cachin' logo (see avatar) with this text on the back. You have found an unactiavted geocoin it's yours to keep please trade fair. I would be willing set up some kind of website where we can post what coins were left in what caches, or something along those lines.

Jake

So, did you :)