gps info

plinebar

I only need it for caching---looks to be great fun. I am thinking $200 to $300 area, or close

I hate to buy one and then say "man if I had only put a little more into it"

I have one for my car already, so this will be a geo toy.

Thanks in advance for ya"lls input. I will love to read everyones ownideas.

Plinebar

Well, I started with, and still use, a Garmin eTrex Legend. I also bought the Mapsource TOPO program, though I bought it later.

The eTrex Legend only has 8 MB of memory, and is black and white, not color, however it has served me well since day one. The extra maps (about $100 or so) added to the total cost, but they are VERY worth it due to the finer detail available.

If you can afford a bit more, any of the 'x' series Garmin units reportedly have better reception, and some if not all?) use expandable memory cards that are available from a number of sources (not just Garmin). Some of those 'x' series units also have a dedicated geocaching mode, kinda cool.

I can't talk about Magellans or the other big brand, but that is a Coke vs. Pepsi debate. Try some unit out in a store to see if you like the interface of one vendor or another.

Stay away from Cobra GPS receivers though. I have never heard anything nice about them.