Do Cache Owners Really Read The Logbooks?

michigansnorkelers

I was wondering about this.

I get a kick out of seeing the comments in some of the logs. But am always amazed that some of the logbooks I've found go back two or three years.

If three years of logs are sitting in a cache, does the owner ever read them?

Just curious.

We also read them when we do maintenance or when we archive a cache. It's fun to go back and look at what people wrote at the time.

We find that most of the logs in the log-books are just the cachers name, and date. The GC.com log is where most of the writing is.

However there are other cachers who do not use the gc.com service that may find your cache... or folks who don't log online .. or folks who find it by accident.

I like reading through to see who's been by and what they had to say at the time. Some of the stamps and stickers can be fun, too.

I sometimes wonder if the cache owners read the online logs also. I have seen caches that have had several DNF's, and reports of caches being in bad shape or missing, and the owners do nothing. I know it is a responsibility to take care of and maintain a cache, but it is also pretty disappointing to trek out to an area and find the cache gone. I reported one such missing cache to the owner recently, but nothing appears to have been done about it.

I sometimes wonder if the cache owners read the online logs also. I have seen caches that have had several DNF's, and reports of caches being in bad shape or missing, and the owners do nothing. I know it is a responsibility to take care of and maintain a cache, but it is also pretty disappointing to trek out to an area and find the cache gone. I reported one such missing cache to the owner recently, but nothing appears to have been done about it.

I think in those cases they do read them, but simply don't care.

I responded to a request from TPTB to retrieve possibly Oregon's last moveable cache. "Hide & Seek".

The owner sadly left the game and would not go get his ammocan. The logbook, I decided was too good to keep to myself so I attached a TB tag to it and sent it to Portland with Dasin. If you want some great reading, find the cache that has the TB "Hide & Seek Lives On" The original ammocan is now in the hands of Pablo Mac. Expect to see it again in the Lebanon Oregon area. :laughing:

Tom Fuller Crescent, Oregon

I read through the log books, even though most people save their thoughts for online logs these days.

What's really fun is reading the log book for an old cache that's been around a while, like 3, 4, and 5 letter waypoint ones (GCx, GCxx, GCxxx). Most early entries often fill up the entire page.

We find that most of the logs in the log-books are just the cachers name, and date. The GC.com log is where most of the writing is.

A few years ago, cachers had to actually hike to find a remote cache. The cache was typically larger, often with a big notebook (I always preferred the spiral notebooks) in a unique location. Getting to, and finding the cache was a challange, and it was reflected in longer, thoughful phycical logbook entries.

Lately, caching has devolved to 'hiking' to a bush in the walmart parking lot. The logbooks are usually too small to write anything more than your name and date. If the logbook is big enough for an entry, the expierence is usually not unique enough to warrant a long physical long.

Ed

I check my logbooks regularly to see if the logs match the ones online, my attempt to weed out the SLACKERS that only virtually visit caches. :D

My logbooks are a great collection of personnalized stamps and slicker/photos that seem to be popular with the older and/or legendary cachers around. The well written logs are so much more personal and are valued more than those generic online logs. There's something special about a written log mentioning how bad the bugs were and then finding the squished body of a 'sqeeter between the pages!!

Granted there are those who do regularly post multiple digital pics of their adventures in the online logs and are tied in first place with the hardcopy.

dutchmaster

I collect all old/full logbooks from my caches and keep them in a huge ziplock bag at home.

It is very nice to flip through them while I'm curled up on my sofa and watching tv.

I find that most logs these days are simply cachers' names and the date of the find. The older logs from years ago usually had much more written. I must admit I myself used to write more in the logbooks but don't really do that anymore, but then again when I started caching most I found were in areas that weren't so exposed to the public and I had time to casually sift thru and enjoy the cache. Today so many caches are micros with little room for comments, or ones that involve a higher degree of urban exposure and I just want to get out of there quick without jeopardizing the hiding spot. Guess I've gotten out of the habit of sharing my thoughts on paper, so I do try to write a little more in my online logs than "TNLNSL, TFTC"

Maybe I'll try to get back in the habit of writing more in the physical logbooks....

edit to add: referring to the physical logs is handy when trying to determine what happened to travel bugs that are MIA from my caches. I wish more people would write down what they took and left, it'd sure make it easier to figure out..... wishful thinking :D

Edited by MountainMudbug

We plan on reading all of ours when the logs are full. After all that's why we put them out there isn't it? I have recently placed 6 caches in our area, have 4 more ammo boxes to fill with goodies. Then find hiding spots for them. We can't wait for the logs to fill up so we can show our friends, and I find myself rereading the online logs, cause they are just fun to read. I too can't see how anybody can just put a cache out there and just forget about it. They are just way too fun. I hate those all that are mildewy and full of water for who knows how long with out ever being checked on. But we still try to read those logs too. :D