The "Crikey!" Geocoin

CrotalusRex and Mimichan

Aaron sent out an email last October asking folks on the CoinsAndPins mailing list how many coins and and in what metal they would like. At that time the choices of metal were gold and nickel.

I see bronze has been added to the list. How many metals will this coin be offered in? I know I'm going to be getting at least two of each metal.

Hello,

The Crikey geocoin is complete <_< ! Here's a photo of Crikey in Bronze!

Check out the link to it's website below for further information on the coin and how to order one.

CRIKEY!

Thanks,

CrotalusRex and Mimichan :rolleyes:

Hmmm... no doubt purely wondrous, but... Is it just me, or... I can't seem to find anything on the C&P site about ordering the Crikey... :rolleyes:

WOO HOO!! :unsure: The CRIKEY fundraiser coin will begin sales on Sunday May, 06 2007 at approximately 8:00PM EST, 5:00PM PST.

To purchace your coins from Coins and Pins at that time just

<Indirect link removed by moderator, when a direct link becomes available, send it to me, and I will add it to this post - direct links to the individual coin only are allowed.

Eartha, Groundspeak Volunteer>

crikeybronze.jpg

From the bottom of my heart I thank you all for patiently waiting so long for this special coin to happen...the animals who will directly benefit from the sale of this coin will thank you also!

Take care,

CrotalusRex :blink:

Edited by Eartha

Well... it's official.

I have never before purchased a geocoin... ever... but this one I will be getting... provided there's any left when I go to purchase it online.

Although, I really don't want to have to create an account on that site for the notification. Hence... I'll just be trying to remember it (yay for post-it note on computer). However... do I need to create an account to buy it, or can I just... y'know... punch in the payment information and such?

Well... it's official.

I have never before purchased a geocoin... ever... but this one I will be getting... provided there's any left when I go to purchase it online.

Although, I really don't want to have to create an account on that site for the notification. Hence... I'll just be trying to remember it (yay for post-it note on computer). However... do I need to create an account to buy it, or can I just... y'know... punch in the payment information and such?

Hi Kabuthunk,

Thank you for wanting to buy a Crikey coin--yes, post-it notes are a very useful thing :anicute: I truly hope you are able to get one before they sell out. Yes, I think you will have to create an account with Coins and Pins to purchace a Crikey coin...but I suppose you could cancel your account after you have your coin(s).

Thanks and good luck :anicute:

CrotalusRex :anicute:

YES! My very first geocoin ever has arrived!!!!

crikey.jpg

The cat is also quite curious about it too :P

It looks awesome. I'm actually going to be making a chainmail wrap for it (since chainmail is kinda what I like to do with stuff :)) when I can, so I'll post another pic once I get that done :D

Thanks again for getting me started on what will likely become an addiction :)

EDIT: Aaaaand now I come to realize I'm at a crossroad. If I activate it, it'll be listed in my inventory, and I may accidentally select it when dropping other TB's into a cache. But if I don't, it would appear as though I can't log it online at all, nor could anyone who sees it when I'm at a geocache event or some such.

Anyone got any input on this? There a way I can activate it, keep it logged in my inventory (as opposed to some virtual cache in the middle of nowhere), but have it not show up in the 'trackables to drop' box when logging a cache find?

Oh, and also checking the site, these appear to still be for sale. Hmm... I was always under the impression that they sell out like... hours after they first go on sale. Then again, given I know less than nothing about the geocoin world... I'm easily confused and mistaken :)

Edited by Kabuthunk

Hurrah! And I've finished the chainmail wrap for it. It's a 3/4 persian weave, 18gauge stainless steel, 3/8" rings down the spine, and 3/16" rings on the sides. Just gotta come up with a nice-looking style of chain weave to run from it to hang it from something :)

crikey2.jpg

EDIT: Aaaaand now I come to realize I'm at a crossroad. If I activate it, it'll be listed in my inventory, and I may accidentally select it when dropping other TB's into a cache. But if I don't, it would appear as though I can't log it online at all, nor could anyone who sees it when I'm at a geocache event or some such.

Anyone got any input on this? There a way I can activate it, keep it logged in my inventory (as opposed to some virtual cache in the middle of nowhere), but have it not show up in the 'trackables to drop' box when logging a cache find?

You can drop it into an archived cache so it doesn't show up on the drop down. You can also create a cache but not publish it and drop it here. Either way it shows in your inventory, people can discover it, but it's not on your drop down list of TBs so you won't have to scroll past it. Many people do this, especially when they have a lot of coins they want to keep but don't want to have to scroll through every time they are going to drop a bug.

Just wanted to show the latest iteration of the coin (and the final one, minus a longer hanging chain). I've completed my decorative wrap, in my own over-complicated manner ;) :

crikey3.jpg

I didn't want a straight-on connection, so I decided to use a full persian weave, and split it into two half persian 3-1 chains, which then attach to the coin wrap itself. Then, to have a smaller hanging chain, I tapered down the full persian with smaller rings, and wove a Jens Pind weave off of the taper. Now it looks smooth, flows nicely, and the Jens Pind chain can be made as long as needed or wanted. The wire used was all 18 gauge stainless steel, and the ring sizes used were 3/8", 3/16", 5/32", and 1/8" ID. I'll let you pick out which is where :P

Again... love the coin :)