The "Crikey!" Geocoin

CrotalusRex and Mimichan

Hello,

I have designed a new geocoin in memory of Steve Irwin "The Crocodile Hunter" who was loved and admired by millions of animal and nature lovers the world over.

<p>

ALL PROFITS from the sale of this coin will be donated directly to Steve Irwin's wildlife conservation charity Wildlife Warriors Worldwide Ltd.

Please take a look at my websitefor more information about the "CRIKEY!" coin.

Here is the concept art for the "CRIKEY!" geocoin.

crikeycoinart.gif

NOTE: If you are seriously interested in purchacing this coin, please contact me directly via the email link on my website as the coin is in the pre-production stage at this time and is not yet avaliable for purchace until Coinsandpins has an idea of the demand. I will then forward you an email that I recieved from Coinsandpins.com which you will be able to reply to with the number of coins you wish to purchace. If you are on the Coinsandpins.com mailing list and have already recieved this email then you do not need to email me.

Special thanks to the wonderful folks at Coinsandpins.com and Groundspeak.com for sponsoring this wonderful memorial coin.

Thank you,

CrotalusRex

Hi , the design on the front is the australia zoo logo - i can't see any attribution or endorsement on the website for using either their photos or their logo and name on the coin - I asked coins and pins but no reply yet can you clarify please?

Hi forthferalz,

The design is actually the "Wildlife Warriors Worldwide Ltd." logo and yes I did contact them and they have allowed the production of the coin and emailed me an address in which to send all funds that we will raise from the production of the "CRIKEY!" coin.

Thanks,

CrotalusRex

Hi , the design on the front is the australia zoo logo - i can't see any attribution or endorsement on the website for using either their photos or their logo and name on the coin - I asked coins and pins but no reply yet can you clarify please?

Hi forthferalz,

The design is actually the "Wildlife Warriors Worldwide Ltd." logo and yes I did contact them and they have allowed the production of the coin and emailed me an address in which to send all funds that we will raise from the production of the "CRIKEY!" coin.

Thanks,

CrotalusRex

Great!

I think it's a very nice gesture though a sick baby turtle might well eat all your donations in a week his legacy will be to turn the tide of public opinion in his own land I hope.

You know mrs irwin was down here with the kids at cradle mt when she got the news. that was a very very sad day because it was just after fathers day as well ..... he was the best thing ever for wildlife here. the actual attitude here to our wildlife is they are vermin or poor man's steak, and the green party are just a bunch of longhaired treehuggers etc... i have picked up more than one dead threatened species from the road outside my home - the continued indescriminate poison baiting for wildlife control, increasing property development in an area like this is just mind blowingly short sighted - someone even CULLS koalas in one area while we sponsor a joey koala at a sanctuary in another state - it's silly ..... sorry...... raving.....

Sent email for 1. I think it is a great idea. Why would you say this has nothing to do with geocaching. Isnt a large part of geocaching getting out in nature and seing things and sharing that with our kids so that they grow up to apriciate the great things in our world. Besides as a scout leader I have seen other scout troups make geocoins and sell them as a fund raiser what is the diff. ?

Hipper

ALL of the profits from the sale of "Crikey!" will be donated to Wildlife Warriors Worldwide. I am not sure how much that will be yet since I have no idea how many coins will sell but hopefully it will be many. I am not keeping any money for myself...it was just my design and I did it for the wildlife and for Steve Irwin's memory. Coinsandpins, the producers of the "Crikey!" coin, has informed me that they will donate 100% of the profits from the sale of the coins to Wildlife Warriors Worldwide Ltd.

Thanks,

CrotalusRex

why do we have two threads on this?

Yeah!

Good question...the answer is simple tho...I just want to be sure that I have all the forums covered so everyone will have a chance to see the coin and if interested, possibly purchase one or more. The more money we raise through the sale of "Crikey!" the more money goes to Wildlife Warriors Worldwide to help conserve wildlife:D .

Thanks for asking,

CrotalusRex

Hi forthferalz,

Thanks,

CrotalusRex

Thank you for doing the right thing and getting permission to use their name and logo.

Could you at least add your geonick to the coin and make it a personal, then it would be a geocoin... :laughing:

No need, seems to be one already.

Looks great as is!!! Don't change a thing.

As usual, those that don't like can pass.

It's not a geocoin, it's a mock-up to take advantage of people that have nothing better to do with their money....Just having a tracking number does not (IMO) make it a geocoin.

How many caches did Mr. Irwin find?

:laughing:

It's not a geocoin, it's a mock-up to take advantage of people that have nothing better to do with their money....Just having a tracking number does not (IMO) make it a geocoin.

You're right. If I was you, I would show my distaste by not ordering one. :laughing:

Edited by baloo&bd

You're right. If I was you, I would show my distaste by not ordering one. :laughing:

Good argument. And how many caches did the Fallen Heroes of 9/11 find?

Good argument. And how many caches did the Fallen Heroes of 9/11 find?

That argument doesn't work - just because there is another coin out there that may/may not be caching realted in people's opinion, doesn't mean it becomes the litmus test for others.

There are plenty of folks who didn't see a 9/11 and caching relationship either. Many were too afraid to say anything for fear of being called "unAmerican" for that opinion.

Everyones comparing apples and grapes.

1. Where is the rule or guideline that a trackable coin has to be geocaching related?

2. Where is the rule or guideline that says a trackable coin must be moved via geocaches?

From what I have seen, the commercial rule that is imposed in geocaching.com world is not in the trackable coin world. Boy Scouts, NASA, Railroads (we're not allowed within 150 feet of tracks), Pink Ribbons, Girls Scouts, AT, etc. have all had coins at differenet times. It's allowed.

Don't like it, don't buy/log/trade it. I think this coin is pretty cool. However, to satisfy the one question (however sarcastic it may have been) put forth; since we all use handles, show me where Mr. Irwin DIDN'T find any caches.

Next.

Edited by baloo&bd

You're right. If I was you, I would show my distaste by not ordering one. :)

It's not distaste, it's just semantics I guess. But, this is a commemorative coin and not a geocoin.... :laughing:

I have several commemorative coins in my collection, and I'm sure will buy more.

I don't happen to care for the design of this one, also I'm personally a bit tired of people trying to fob off their various hobby horses as geocoins just to make a buck. :laughing:

This was posted on the MSGA forums he did take note of cachers , even if not one himself ! ::

OK - by now you've all learned the demise of MY HERO -

Steve Irwin Crying or Very sad

He, Terri, and the Australia Zoo staff were the first

to respond to my plea for prizes for the Katrina

event.

They wished us well in our recovery efforts and wanted

me to send photos from the event to post on their

website. I still plan on doing what he asked of me,

and will have a sympathy card near the sign-in book

for those who wish to sign it for his family.

My nieces and nephews are drawing pictures for Bindi

and little Bob, so if any of the children want to draw

a picture and bring them to me - I'll mail it along

with the card and other stuff I'm sending to the zoo

following the event.

What a GREAT loss the world has experienced; try and

remember him, his family, and his zoo family and

reptiles in your prayers - and care as much for the

enviornment as he did.

We ONLY have 39 days left until we see each other

again (or meet for the first time) - so start getting

excited NOW!

I will 'unveil' what he sent, and the first 40 cachers

at the event to come tap me on my shoulder will

receive one - they are stickers which read (what

else?) - 'Crocs Rule'.

The above was a post on the MSGA forums.

Everyones comparing apples and grapes.

1. Where is the rule or guideline that a trackable coin has to be geocaching related?

2. Where is the rule or guideline that says a trackable coin must be moved via geocaches?

From what I have seen, the commercial rule that is imposed in geocaching.com world is not in the trackable coin world. Boy Scouts, NASA, Railroads (we're not allowed within 150 feet of tracks), Pink Ribbons, Girls Scouts, AT, etc. have all had coins at differenet times. It's allowed.

Don't like it, don't buy/log/trade it. I think this coin is pretty cool. However, to satisfy the one question (however sarcastic it may have been) put forth; since we all use handles, show me where Mr. Irwin DIDN'T find any caches.

Next.

Nobody is saying you CAN'T make any coin. There are no guidelines around what can/can't be a "geocoin" other than people's personal tastes since Groundspeak allows just about anything. Some are just expressing thier opinions - why does that always get everybody up in arms?

Anyway - I'll let the folks interested in this coin take the thread back over since there was never any intent to derail it.

Nobody is saying you CAN'T make any coin. There are no guidelines around what can/can't be a "geocoin" other than people's personal tastes since Groundspeak allows just about anything. Some are just expressing thier opinions - why does that always get everybody up in arms?

Anyway - I'll let the folks interested in this coin take the thread back over since there was never any intent to derail it.

I appreciate that we apparently struck a nerve, however you might want to go back and read things in context before responding.

Edited by baloo&bd

I appreciate that we apparently struck a nerve, however you might want to go back and read things in context before responding.

Call me obtuse, but I have no idea what you are talking about...

What nerve did you strike? And what was your point? ( Ireally don't get it)

edit: clarity and many typos

Edited by kealia

:huh:

It's not distaste, it's just semantics I guess. But, this is a commemorative coin and not a geocoin.... :ph34r:

I have several commemorative coins in my collection, and I'm sure will buy more.

I don't happen to care for the design of this one, also I'm personally a bit tired of people trying to fob off their various hobby horses as geocoins just to make a buck. :unsure:

I would normally agree if it were not for the fact that he was a protector and champion of those wonderful natural resources we all enjoy. One of our favorite things is the wildlife we see on our geocaching adventures and considering that all of the proceeds will go a charity that will continue to protect natural areas and wildlife I would gladly make an exception. I do understand that not everyone would feel that way.