Direction arrow points perpendicular to cache on 60cs

Super Dad

I've been using a 60cs for about 6 months now. When using the find - geocache screen with the directional arrow, I've always had the occasional problem of the arrow pointing directly away from the cache rather than towards it. I've heard from other cachers that that's not a totally uncommon problem.

Around the time that I updated the firmware on the unit, I started having an even worse problem. The arrow doesn't just point opposite to the cache, but rather points perpendicular (sideways) to it. It will point towards it until I get to within about 50 feet, then it starts pointing me anywhere but right at it.

Once I realize it's happening, I can usually zero in on the cache by just watching the distance as I walk around in circles, but it kind of sucks to have a $300 GPSr and have it act so strangely.

So, my question is, has anyone else experienced something similar? (either opposite arrow or worse) I'm wondering if it's firmware related, or if it's just broken.

Thanks,

Super Dad

I too have been using a 60cs for some time, and have noticed this same condition you speak of. I did not make a firmware connection (ver 4.10 6/26/06) which is entirely possible, but I thought it had something to do with the heading settings, "switch to compass heading when below (10mph) for more than (15 sec)"

(my settings) 10 sec was default. I ttake this to mean the Compass, if off, will come on when traveling below 10mph for more than 15 sec.

The manual does not talk much about the Heading setup page.

I'm thinking I need to disable the compass while geocaching. You can press the "Page" button while on the Compass page to enable/disable the Compass. Maybe increasing the time will do this.

Edited by JT & PJ Cole

Turn the compass OFF- Hold down"Page" for a few seconds

Select your "GoTo" point.....also be sure to select Off Road

On the "Compass page" press menu>bearing pointer( as one of the choices, you will see either Course pointer or Bearing pointer) When the menu comes up if you "see" "Course Pointer" then that means you are already on "Bearing Pointer" and vice versa. Does that make sense?

You want "Bearing Pointer"

Back back out of there and then go to the Compass page. Start walking and the arrow will be pointing at your desired destination. The Bearing Pointer will always be pointing to your selected destination point.

On Garmin GPSrs the compass is probably the most misunderstood feature/function. IMHO you should only turn on the compass when you are standing still and can hold the unit flat and level. When using the Go To function ,you need to hold the unit nearly vertically for best signal reception. Then use only the bearing pointer and follow the arrow. With the near vertical/horizontal "holding"problem, the compass only confuses the issue.

When using only the bearing pointer and you walk "past" a cache by only a few feet, the arrow will flip around and "say" "Hey dummie, it's now behind you!"