Hostile Takeover

I was just reading a thread, or whatever it's called and it appeared that it is possible to have a hostile takeover of a catagory on Waymarking.com. :ph34r:

Is this really possible? Has it happened to anyone? Is this just theory on the part of those I saw commenting? :blink:

I'm just curious.

Is this really possible? Has it happened to anyone?

It is technically possible for a group of officers to take control of a category from its owner.

To the best of my knowledge, this has not yet happened. It seems to me that the most likely scenario in which this might come up would be if a category leader has become completely inactive in Waymarking, and the remaining officers wanted to make changes to the category.

C4A -

There is the kind that cache_test_dummies indicated (it is part of the rules of Waymarking) in which officers can, with I think a 2/3 vote, demote the leader. Then they select a new leader. This is a good design.

The other kind of 'hostile takeover' is: while someone is proposing a category in the forums and getting potential officers and such steps in a public way, someone else gets officers together and sets up the same category first without saying anything in the forums. (This is not covered by the rules of Waymarking.) This is not a takeover of an existing category, but instead is a takeover of an idea for a category. Unless it's done inadvertently by someone who doesn't participate in the forums, it is, in my opinion, rude and inconsiderate.

The other kind of 'hostile takeover' is: while someone is proposing a category in the forums and getting potential officers and such steps in a public way, someone else gets officers together and sets up the same category first without saying anything in the forums.

Good catch, BDT. I wasn't thinking about that type of hostile takeover when I read the OP. If I remember right, we actually did see this sort of thing happen once.

There is the kind that cache_test_dummies indicated (it is part of the rules of Waymarking) in which officers can, with I think a 2/3 vote, demote the leader.

According to the Group Management FAQ, replacing the leader actually requires 100% of the (non-leader) officers to vote in favor of leader demotion.

edit: wording

Edited by cache_test_dummies