Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
cavediver2

Any Hams use APRS on handheld

Just wondered if anyone use's aprs while geocaching. It is just another way for us hams to add to the fun of

geocaching and ham radio. I use a garmin etrex and a kenwood TH d7a work's great not to mention my freinds can see me while im caching..

let me know

cavediver2

aka n9div

Just wondered if anyone use's aprs while geocaching. It is just another way for us hams to add to the fun of

geocaching and ham radio. I use a garmin etrex and a kenwood TH d7a work's great not to mention my freinds can see me while im caching..

let me know

cavediver2

aka n9div

I haven't tried it but I've only had my ticket for about two weeks. Can I use a Yaesu VX-7R to APRS? I'll have to look in the manual. It's been pretty overwhelming but I'm catching on to it.

let me know

cavediver2

aka n9div

I haven't tried it but I've only had my ticket for about two weeks. Can I use a Yaesu VX-7R to APRS? I'll have to look in the manual. It's been pretty overwhelming but I'm catching on to it.

Yes, you can. It won't directly support it as the Kenwood will, you'll have to get an encoder and cables from Byonics (or some other company... I think Byonics is the best though)

I've used my D7A and a Sportrak Color to do APRS while geocaching. I usually don't bother unless I'm planning on hiking more than around 5 miles.

--Marky

Tried using my D7A and Etrex while back in Ohio couple weeks ago, so Thystle could track back here in CO via internet. Must not have had the pathing right or there were no digipeaters nearby as nothing came across. Will try it again now that I'm back in CO as I know the pathing is right here. But I've used the same set up in the truck with a 1/4 wave antenna not the ducky and its worked fine.

I'm in Geocaching since august only, but from my first trip I alays get my TH-D7 connected to Gamin GPS-12. I'm not sure if there are many hams in Spain doing APRS and geocaching at the same time.....

Joan M.

'piniflopa' EB3EWQ

I use a Kenwood thd7a with my Garmin 60CS I have made 2 cables to interface these. one is just a quick cable of data using a PFrank plug and the other is using a bare data cable that I modified to supply 12V power to both the radio and the GPS unit while also alowing data transfer while mobil. :unsure:

Kenwood TH-D7AGv2.0 + Garmin GPSMap 60C. The 2 m APRS network seems quite useless here in the capital city area. The only station that received my handheld was my own home station 7,4 miles away.

OH2LNA>VP1Q64,WIDE1,WIDE2-2,qAr,OH2LNA-15:`4Uml!V[/>"4)}iron wheels

Has anyone managed to make a small GPSr into the THD7A? A kind of that would plug in directly to the gps socket, with no cable in between. That would be quite handy.

I use my Garmin GPS-12 on APRS in my car with my FT-60 using the TinyTrak 3 interface, and I'm currently part of the betatesting for Tiny Trak 4. However, I usually don't use it when I'm out geocaching since I tie my PDA into my GPS to help me find caches. I know that I can get a 'y' cable and have two interfaces, but I just haven't bothered yet.

I use my Garmin GPS-12 on APRS in my car with my FT-60 using the TinyTrak 3 interface, and I'm currently part of the betatesting for Tiny Trak 4. However, I usually don't use it when I'm out geocaching since I tie my PDA into my GPS to help me find caches. I know that I can get a 'y' cable and have two interfaces, but I just haven't bothered yet.

Limax, not to get off topic, but what do you mean when you say you tie your PDA into your GPS? I haven't heard of this, but then I'm pretty new to geocaching. Thanks for your response. :)

I have been caching for many years, but just got my Technician liscense in Oct.

I am trying to set up a APRS with my Garmin12 and Yaesu VX-6 and TT3+.

This looks like a really fun aspect of the two hobbies, but I have a question..

What are the best APRS maps to utilize? I go to FindU.com and it seems "clunky" to use.

eitherway, I look forward to this new (to me) technology.

Soup

I have been caching for many years, but just got my Technician liscense in Oct.

I am trying to set up a APRS with my Garmin12 and Yaesu VX-6 and TT3+.

This looks like a really fun aspect of the two hobbies, but I have a question..

What are the best APRS maps to utilize? I go to FindU.com and it seems "clunky" to use.

eitherway, I look forward to this new (to me) technology.

Soup

Depends on what you want to do with the maps. Are you just looking to see who is out there in your area? or are you setting up a full aprs station at home / laptop. There are several good APRS software packages out there for full set ups UI-View, AGWTracker, APRS Point, etc. or you can go as simple as a java file that runs under Goggle Earth to just monitor the area.