What a lousy day.

pandaphil

*sigh* Since it's my birthday, I thought I'd go out and look for some new caches in the surrounding area. There are a lot of parks, hiking trails, etc in the area, so hiding geocaches is like a cottage industry. :ph34r:

Unfortunately it was a very bad day. Only found one out of the six I looked for, and that was strictly dumb luck. I'm tired and sore from scrambling around trees and over rocks, and very discouraged. They weren't even particularly hard ones.

Wish I could afford a GPS unit. Needless to say I feel like the worst cacher in the world. :blink:

Anyone else ever just have one of those days?

Since it's my birthday, I thought I'd go out and look for some new caches in the surrounding area. There are a lot of parks, hiking trails, etc in the area

I'm tired and sore from scrambling around trees and over rocks,

Sounds like a GREAT birthday to me! If I can have 50 or so more birthdays like that, I'll consider myself a lucky man!

Meh, second day of searching and still no love. Of course, six inches of wet leaves on the ground don't help. I think I'm gonna have to admit defeat and write the owners for hints. Or else just break into my emergency money and get a bloody GPS. :blink:

Edited by pandaphil

Or else just break into my emergency money and get a bloody GPS. :D

Umm, for as much as Geocaching is a great sport and I will usually go out of my way to make sure I can score a cache when I am out and about.....I would never buy cache stuff from my emergency fund.

BAD IDEA!

On the flipside, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I agree with the other posts that I am envious of you for being able to find caches without a GPSr. Getting out there and tromping through the woods sounds like a smashing exciting kindda b'day for me.

Good luck on the future caching trips.

Bad CRC, Hmmmm, pawn shop. Great idea, I'll have a look this week.

Super Nate - You're probably right. Was the discouragement talking. :D

On a more positive note, one of the local owners sent me a hint, and I managed to find it right away. I feel like a dunce, but at least it's helped recharge my caching battieries a bit.

*sigh* Since it's my birthday, I thought I'd go out and look for some new caches in the surrounding area. There are a lot of parks, hiking trails, etc in the area, so hiding geocaches is like a cottage industry. :D

Unfortunately it was a very bad day. Only found one out of the six I looked for, and that was strictly dumb luck. I'm tired and sore from scrambling around trees and over rocks, and very discouraged. They weren't even particularly hard ones.

Wish I could afford a GPS unit. Needless to say I feel like the worst cacher in the world. :D

*sigh* Since it's my birthday, I thought I'd go out and look for some new caches in the surrounding area. There are a lot of parks, hiking trails, etc in the area, so hiding geocaches is like a cottage industry. :)

Wish I could afford a GPS unit. Needless to say I feel like the worst cacher in the world. :)

First: Happy Birthday!

Second: My worst day geocaching is still better than my best day working! I look at caching as another excuse to get off my butt and get out into the world. An added bonus is finding the cache. If I don't find it (I've bagged 1 in 3 so far), I have seen some places and done things I never would have, had it not been for the cache.

So... relax, have fun, and think about all the muggles walking around who are completely oblivious to the fact they are walking right past these caches.

Edited by ShutterBug98027

*sigh* Since it's my birthday, I thought I'd go out and look for some new caches in the surrounding area. There are a lot of parks, hiking trails, etc in the area, so hiding geocaches is like a cottage industry. :)

Wish I could afford a GPS unit. Needless to say I feel like the worst cacher in the world. :)

Happy Birthday. Oct. 28 is my birthday also. I am getting a gpsr for my birthday, or will get it (is on order and should arrive any day). I went out today and found my first cache. I am totally hooked on this now.

First: Happy Birthday!

Ditto that! :)

Second: My worst day geocaching is still better than my best day working! I look at caching as another excuse to get off my butt and get out into the world. An added bonus is finding the cache. If I don't find it (I've bagged 1 in 3 so far), I have seen some places and done things I never would have, had it not been for the cache.

Ditto here as well... I went caching this morning in a state park I'd not really explored before, with a list of about 7 caches I wanted to find. However, because I'm not familiar with the trails, I ended up getting in a lot of walking, but not even getting near more than three of them.

of the three I DID get near, I found the two traditional/small caches, and bagged looking for the third when I realized it was a micro right next to the road - I decided I'd rather spend the time keeping on hiking.

We (the dogs and I) still had a wonderful morning of hiking on a glorious autumn day, seeing a river, a historic mill with a waterwheel and a fascinating canal system to power it, a six-point buck and his mate, blue jays, kingfishers, gulls...

cimawr - Mmmm, sounds like a wonderful trip in spite of the NF's.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Things have improved a bit and I've added a few finds to my list since I started this thread.

I do feel kinda bad about sounding so whiny earlier. Last week was nit a good time for me. Thanks everyone for your patience.