Log Accepted then Red lined when Archived

Rorudawkins

We would like to know why we lost credit for geocaches that were found, logged, and even photographed when the cache was LATER pulled, archived, muggled, etc. How come a legitimate find is erased??? We would like to know other geocacher's thoughts, and experiences with this issue! :laughing:

We would like to know why we lost credit for geocaches that were found, logged, and even photographed when the cache was LATER pulled, archived, muggled, etc. How come a legitimate find is erased??? We would like to know other geocacher's thoughts, and experiences with this issue! :laughing:

You don't loose credit when a cache is archived. Could you show us an example of one you logged a find on and lost credit for?

We would like to know why we lost credit for geocaches that were found, logged, and even photographed when the cache was LATER pulled, archived, muggled, etc. How come a legitimate find is erased??? We would like to know other geocacher's thoughts, and experiences with this issue! :blink:

Most likely the cache owner remove (archived) the log entry.

I've seen owners remove all the logs before archiving a cache (I don't understand the point of doing this, but I've seen it done).

I've also seen owners remove logs because they apparently don't like the cacher. I once logged a DNF against a cache (that I found out later was definitely missing). I only logged the DNF after I emailed the cache owner telling him I didn't find it and asking if he would like to offer any additional hints, and didn't receive any response. The owner removed that log (I assume because he didn't want any negative log entries on his cache pages, he removed all the DNF's), but not only did he do that, he went back and removed ALL my logs on his other caches as well (he owned about 4 or 5 caches), which I can only assume he decided he didn't like me. He was a real jerk about it. Thankfully he has since quit caching.

In another case I had a log entry (not a find) removed by the owner because I noted that it was on private property (I also had contact with the property owner and they didn't want it there either). After I logged that one, I received emails from other cachers that stated that they had also logged it as such, AND included pictures. In that case I even emailed contact@geocaching.com (which from reading everything on the web site seems to be what I'm supposed to do), and received NO response. I even went as far as leaving Jeremy a voice mail, and again no response. In this case I also received a very hateful and threatening email from the local reviewer (someone who I'm guessing had never seen the actual cache, they've never logged it if they have). The local reviewer also tried to exercise their muscle and harass me further.

So as you can see, logs can be deleted (and of course it reduces your find count), but in most cases, its just the cache owner or reviewer who is just an absolute jerk.

(note to my local reviewers, the cache I'm referring to is not one of yours and isn't a local cache, so don't take offense)

Sounds like the original poster is just confused, as Mopar pointed out very well. If their find was in fact deleted by the cache owner, they would see nothing. If they see the cache on their finds list with a red line through it, it is still a find on their find count. The cache is simply archived.

Thanks for your off topic personal rant though. :blink: