Micro-Haters Unite?

I am curious about the community's thoughts on events created solely to express a personal, or perhaps local, agenda, as oppossed to the broader political agenda.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6f-492574aef8d3

and

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...18-6691c9cb915d

seem to have been created only as a slap at those of us who like micros.

The TRIGO forums are rife with anti-micro rhetoric, which is fine - as a local forum they can adopt whatever style and attitude they desire... but should that invective be promoted beyond their forums?

Are Groundspeak-listed events with no purpose but making their disdain for others public really a good thing?

Ed

Ed

what the heck are you talking about?

looks to me like it's a small event, the name micro seems appropriate.

please show me where there is anything disparaging about it, I missed that part.

thx.

:laughing:

Ed

please show me where there is anything disparaging about it, I missed that part.

thx.

:laughing:

Maybe you're right, and it's just light-hearted fun.

Being a member of TRIGO I am likely biased from reading so much micro-bashing and read this to be more of the same.

I can't speak to their intent, only my interpretation. Maybe we need more one-minute-long events.

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I am curious about the community's thoughts on events created solely to express a personal, or perhaps local, agenda, as oppossed to the broader political agenda.

I thought that those were both pretty funny, and, if they support an agenda at all, it would be for "bad" micros (eg: dumpster hide behind Walmart) for the numbers crowd, not micros in general. Although I have to admit that I don't really "get" micros, though my wife loves finding them. (Less snakes and climbing.)

As with all agenda type things, vote with your feet. If you don't like it, don't attend. If someone wants to create a "micros are beautiful event," I'm not gonna complain, I just won't go.

No food or drink will be served, just stop in and say hello and get a smilie. Seams like the easy way to get an event find to me.

On the other topic, I think a tough micro is always fun. I found a few micros in parks, that had me going for a while. Parking lot micros, usually easy, I still go for. But roadside micros, such as on the gaurdrail, I don't even bother going for them. It only takes one person one second, then the only geocaches you are looking for are 6 feet under. There should be some sort of icon telling people that the cache is on the roadside, and not suitable for children. Of course you can tell by looking at the maps, but I've found one or two that have been multi's with a good stage one, to a roadside stage two. We stress like crazy to wear orange during hunting season, how come we don't stress wearing reflective vests for the caches 1 foot away from a road where cars are going by at 35 mph? I'm sure more people get whacked by cars, than they get shot in hunting accidents. Oh i feel better, end rant. :laughing:

Mabye it has to do with the 5* caches that are hidden very close to each event location - both 5* caches have no finders - something like a here's the cache party.

That was my first impression. Since the guidelines don't allow for cache runs to be listed as events, but most events inevitably lead to group cache runs, why not have a short event in the parking lot then set out to do some caching. Those of us who have put together events centered around finding caches (and of course, lunch afterwards...) have had to be very careful with the wording on the event page.

On a related topic, I've always wanted to organize a Flash Mob style caching event (a bunch of cachers show up, so something random, and disperse within minutes), but never got around to it.

I like you, Ed, but these are my honest thoughts:

but should that invective be promoted beyond their forums?

They are not pounding these events down anyone's throat, and likely no one outside their area would know about them if not for this thread. They are promoting nothing, just holding a couple events that have a humorous theme that fits with their local flavor and taste. Anyone who disagrees is free to NOT attend.

events created solely to express a personal, or perhaps local, agenda, as oppossed to the broader political agenda.

All areas have their preferences, why bother this gang with something they're having fun with? Must all cache pages be sober, epic, dramas? Expressing a dislike with satire is not a political agenda. There is nothing to hide, they don't like lame micros and poke fun at them. Not a scary conspiracy, in my opinion. Why must there always be a smoking man?

The TRIGO forums are rife with anti-micro rhetoric, which is fine

The tone and word choice here make your feelings clear. Why join their forum and read their anti-micro rhetoric if it offends you? THEY are not making a loud deal of this, but I question why you choose to do just that? Remember, you WENT to their forum and SEARCHED out their caches, not vice versa.

...but making their disdain for others public really a good thing?

Their disdain is for lame micros, not "others," there is a big difference. Why on earth would it matter to the rest of the caching community that there is a group of cachers who dislike micros? We're grownups, we can handle it. There are cachers who hate many things, what difference does it make? At the end of the day, absolutely none.

TRIGO is well-known for their feelings on this. I seriously question your motives in joining their regional forum. Are you absolutely certain they will ruin your next micro-caching vacation in Pittsburgh, or did I miss the thread where they were plotting to take over Alabama?

My first comment, if you don't like these types of events, don't search for them or put them on your ignore list. Just because you don't like a certain type of event hide, don't limit them for those of us who enjoy JUST this type of "cache".

Secondly....yes, they're poking fun at micros somewhat. So? I don't see any micro bashing going on here...just some lighthearted comments.

Edited by KoosKoos

I thought that those were both pretty funny, and, if they support an agenda at all, it would be for "bad" micros (eg: dumpster hide behind Walmart) for the numbers crowd, not micros in general.

You mean micro traM laW caches are LAME? Man there are a LOT of them popping up around here, I was wondering if they were really good hides or just a numbers thing, course I think I probably knew all along they were LAME numbers only caches, but then that is just my opinion, I guess if someone wants to go to Wal Mart and look for a cache it is their right, but I say it is just STUPID.

TRIGO is well-known for their feelings on this. I seriously question your motives in joining their regional forum. Are you absolutely certain they will ruin your next micro-caching vacation in Pittsburgh, or did I miss the thread where they were plotting to take over Alabama?

I am not bashing them, just questioning the community's feelings on the appropriateness of these type of listings.

As far as motives, that's easy - I cache all over, love the people of geocaching, and try to get to know them both online and off.

I joined TRIGO because I cache PA a couple of times a year, just like I belong to perhaps 20 or so other state and local geocaching associations and clubs in states where I cache.

As I mentioned in my OP, I don't have a problem with the attitude prevalent on TRIGO else I wouldn't have joined. I have never felt unaccepted there even though my caching prefernces are quite different than those of many there.

My question was not meant to insult or harrass them.

For a number of reasons I was surprised to see these listed and curious as to how folks would receive not particularly them but any event of similar nature.

Ed

I think I see what they're trying to do here, but it may have just backfired. I would have thought the second event would not have met the part of the event guidelines that state:

For geocaching events that involve several components, such as a day-long group cache hunt that also involves a seminar and dinner, only a single event cache covering all components should be submitted.

Historically, that guideline has be used to decline multiple events that are all related. If this type of use is ok (and since both were published by Rothstafari they must have blessings sent down from Mt Groundspeak), then why stop at 2 caches? Most events Ive attended have lasted most of the day. Think of the numbers that could be racked up now that this sorta thing has been blessed? Instead of one big event, Maybe the next GeoWoodstock could be broken down into 3-400 "micro events" instead? Heck, spread it out over a weekend and everyone who attends both days could log 1000 smileys! How many people would travel around the world for that?

It's actually pretty funny. But if too many people show up it won't be a "micro event". If "micro events" start to become popular, I don't think they would be humourous after awhile. Plus, I don't think this event will actually be that short.

I participated in a few "flash-mobs" in Florida during the summer of '03 when they were popular, and at first they were funny, but after a bit they became just too stupid.

A one-minute event reminds me of when I [edited for family-friendly forum]

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I am not bashing them, just questioning the community's feelings on the appropriateness of these type of listings.

Yes you are. Saying that aren't doing it while doing it doesn't change the action.

As far as motives, that's easy - I cache all over, love the people of geocaching, and try to get to know them both online and off.

I joined TRIGO because I cache PA a couple of times a year, just like I belong to perhaps 20 or so other state and local geocaching associations and clubs in states where I cache.

Let's be honest here Ed. You joined TRIGO the moment you found out we had a Geocoin that was trackable. You and several others who know our stance on a better quality of caching, and disagree with our views, but still joined for the coveted coin. You then quit the group in less than a month. If you want to call the group out and make false statements about us as a whole, then at least have the decency to admit why you joined instead of this charad in front of the GC members who don't collect coins.

As I mentioned in my OP, I don't have a problem with the attitude prevalent on TRIGO else I wouldn't have joined. I have never felt unaccepted there even though my caching prefernces are quite different than those of many there.

You even admit that you were treated well on TRIGO. So then why would you come here and make the group sound so horrible? We believe as a group and area, that caches need to be better. We don't say all micros are lame or anything or the such. You turned our words of lame caches into micro caches and that is not fair. You have put a spin on an entire group of over 360 members, when you interacted with less than 20 in less than a month. I don't think that qualifies you to know much about us. That's pretty unfair to the other 340 members that you had no interactions with.

Yes it was.

For a number of reasons I was surprised to see these listed and curious as to how folks would receive not particularly them but any event of similar nature.

Ed

I am not bashing them, just questioning the community's feelings on the appropriateness of these type of listings. I have never said they are ruining anything and plan to look for their caches when next I am up that way. As to the silly bit about not living in Pa., geocaching is a worldwide thing, does one have to live in Pa to participate in Pa. geocaching discussion?
Yes you are. Saying that aren't doing it while doing it doesn't change the action.

Stating a known truth is not bashing. The subject of this question and topic is "Are these type of events appropriate for listing?". In asking the question I state that TRIGO is known to dislike micros. Anyone who reads those forums can easily see that. No way then can recognition of that reality be bashing. I never said that you were wrong or that y'alls attitude was a bad thing.

Let's be honest here Ed. You joined TRIGO the moment you found out we had a Geocoin that was trackable. You and several others who know our stance on a better quality of caching, and disagree with our views, but still joined for the coveted coin. You then quit the group in less than a month. If you want to call the group out and make false statements about us as a whole, then at least have the decency to admit why you joined instead of this charad in front of the GC members who don't collect coins.

The truth is just as I stated it was. I do have a small coin collection of coins that folks have given me. I don't really consider myself a collector... I give away far more than I keep. I am not, however, an active collector nor active in coin collecting forums.

Another bit of truth - if you have a TRIGO coin it's news to me! I may have read about it, if so I can't remember; I can tell you for sure that I do not nor have I ever had one... your assertion that I joined for a coin is ludicrous.

I first learned of TRIGO because of controversy over one of your members being banned, reportedly over an event simular to these listings called Burning Micro. I joined to learn what was up with that, and stayed because I found an interesting and active community.

I did not "call the group out", I questioned two of your event listings... not your right to have the event, just whether it should be listed here.

You even admit that you were treated well on TRIGO. So then why would you come here and make the group sound so horrible? We believe as a group and area, that caches need to be better. We don't say all micros are lame or anything or the such. You turned our words of lame caches into micro caches and that is not fair. You have put a spin on an entire group of over 360 members, when you interacted with less than 20 in less than a month. I don't think that qualifies you to know much about us. That's pretty unfair to the other 340 members that you had no interactions with.

Of course I was, and expect I will continue to be, well treated and accepted by TRIGO. I have no argument with anyone in that group. I did not quit TRIGO; I did however unsubscribe from the mailing list because I did not enjoy reading the majority of them.

Yes it was.

Cool - you can read my mind! Too bad Carson's gone, he would have loved that trick!

Here's another neat trick you might try - address the question rather than attack the questioner!

It seems that many can't see the forest for the trees and address their personal feelings and interpretations rather than the question at hand.

Thanks to those responders who are keeping it about the question.

Ed

I checked out the two events just to see what the fuss was about.I myself like micros but also know how some fill about them being lame.I have a thread looking for HUMOROUS caches and the events the OP on this one shared with us fits HUMOROUS in my opinion.I might ask for permission to do my own MICRO EVENT.Just for the fun of it. :ph34r::ph34r::blink:

Edited by halffast

IMO, the events don't seem to be guilty of promoting an agenda in any strong or unacceptable way. I do, however, share Mopar's concerns about the potential for the creation of future similar event series that might eventually lead to some form of abuse.

In any case, there are lots of oddities in this particular equation that make this whole thing either very funny, or a real head-scratcher. Two one minute events, three miles apart as the crow flies, both in rest stops along opposite sides of the PA Turnpike. Both events have difficulty ratings of 5, and "Watch for Livestock" attributes set.

Another thing I noticed - unless there is a sneaky backroad or through-the-field approach (and maybe that's where the livestock warnings come into play), it's not clear to me how anybody in an automobile could hope to legally make it to both events within the stated time frames. It looks to me like traveling from the first event at 11:00 to the second event at 11:10 will require a 15 mile trip eastbound on the turnpike, to the Donegal exit, followed by a 12 mile return trip on the westbound side.

I think I see what they're trying to do here, but it may have just backfired. I would have thought the second event would not have met the part of the event guidelines that state:

For geocaching events that involve several components, such as a day-long group cache hunt that also involves a seminar and dinner, only a single event cache covering all components should be submitted.

Historically, that guideline has be used to decline multiple events that are all related. If this type of use is ok (and since both were published by Rothstafari they must have blessings sent down from Mt Groundspeak), then why stop at 2 caches? <snip>

I was wondering the same thing. We've had events denied here in DFW because they were on the same day. Why were these two approved on the same day very close to each other? :)

Are Groundspeak-listed events with no purpose but making their disdain for others public really a good thing?

Ed

If these events were set up with a 1000 temp 'caches' and visitors were allowed to log the event 1001 times, would anyone care? :) If the event was regular sized, but it was held pool side because the logbook was 'wet', would that agenda bother anyone? :)

Yes these micro events are poking fun at things, but its not as if they are saying this thing or that sucks, is bad, should never be done, etc. They are poking fun at something that is apparently to them hilarious... so much so that they set up gag events around it :(

Historically, that guideline has be used to decline multiple events that are all related. If this type of use is ok (and since both were published by Rothstafari they must have blessings sent down from Mt Groundspeak), then why stop at 2 caches? <snip>

I was wondering the same thing. We've had events denied here in DFW because they were on the same day. Why were these two approved on the same day very close to each other? :)

This is what intrigued me, I have seen several times when events were deemed to be too near to each other on the same day. The last time the two event were over 50 miles apart, but the second was denied because it would likely draw from the same group of cachers. I have no problem with an agenda event, but the rules should be the same for everyone. If Groundspeak is relaxing the event proximity rules then I woul dlike to see the one that Moses submitted for this Sunday be reinstated as it was denied because it was too close to an event that takes place here on Saturday.

I have no problem playing by the rules, but if we have selective enforcement then the rules lose their meaning.

and

The TRIGO forums are rife with anti-micro rhetoric, which is fine - as a local forum they can adopt whatever style and attitude they desire... but should that invective be promoted beyond their forums?

Ed

They meet the guidelines for hosting an event...more than that, they're funny...

If you don't like micros, don't hunt them...if you don't like events that make gentle fun of micros, don't attend them...

I think that they were created as a humorous slap at lame micros, not as a slap at the geocachers who like micros...there's a difference...

The OP has, by starting and continuing this thread, exposed these 2 humorous events to a much broader audience than they would have otherwise been seen by...at first, I assumed that it was a thread designed as a PR device, but subsequent posts have convinced me otherwise...

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA

My concern with this is that it's a starting point for maore (as was mentioned).

Yes, they're having fun with it, but how long before this practice becomes more common.

As an example, in this forum I once reported a thread that got locked down. The thread heading said one thing, but the body of the original post said something of "not really", referring to the topic, and then had a plea & a link to vote for a picture for the Jeep travel bug contest. The topic was a bald-faced lie to get people to read the post. A moderator stomped on it pretty quick after it was reported.

I've been involved with other forums where that kind of thing happens alot. I don't want it to happen here.

And this seems like the start of the same kind of thing, just with a cache page, rather than a topic heading.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a bad kind of thing to start.

This is what intrigued me, I have seen several times when events were deemed to be too near to each other on the same day. The last time the two event were over 50 miles apart, but the second was denied because it would likely draw from the same group of cachers. I have no problem with an agenda event, but the rules should be the same for everyone. If Groundspeak is relaxing the event proximity rules then I woul dlike to see the one that Moses submitted for this Sunday be reinstated as it was denied because it was too close to an event that takes place here on Saturday.

I have no problem playing by the rules, but if we have selective enforcement then the rules lose their meaning.

Only responding because of the post above by Monkeybrad

4th Annual Haunted Hayride & Caching Cookout This event was published first on September 12

The 3rd Annual Halloween Spooky Campout The event was published first on April 28th but was later archive by the cache owner on Aug the 8th was unarchive and moved 100 plus mile for a change of venue to a state park 5 miles away not 50 miles from the first one and is a three day camping event republished on September 12 for the second time and secound event cache that day to be published. This event has been held in different areas of the state and was allowed because of that, nether one pigging backing on the other they are both annual events.

The third cache submitted was the Moses event it was for 10:00 AM the 5th Sunday Morning at a Cracker Barrel was not published it was only 13 miles from the three day camping event still in progress. However this event could have been appealed to Groundspeak through the regular appeal process like the ones in the OP first post but to the best of my knowledge it was not.

Taste Of Brazil The event was published for the 5th but was forty plus miles away and after the camping event was over

These were published within the guidelines, please remember you can appeal any event or other cache listing

Max Cacher

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer // Moderator

Edited by Max Cacher

To understand these event you really need to know the history of the area. There's too much detail to get into here, but it started with one lame micro, then a second poking fun at the first, then eventually a funny Dr. Suess-like poem which led to a 30 day ban (or appengement, as it's known locally), then came along the two micros that these micro events are based around. The cats are part of the equation because they frequent the area where the events are held. Like I said, long story.

Suffice it to say that some of the best caches I have ever found are hidden by TRIGO folks, and none of them have been disappointments. It's not an area to go to if you're all about the numbers, but it's definitely a place to be if you're all about caching for great locations, sights, and history.

TRIGO doesn't do micros... and that's fine. If you want tiny caches, head 2 hours north to Erie, home of the urban microcache. However you want to play the game, Pennsylvania's got something right up your alley.

Probably why the OP comes here to cache so often. :laughing:

Given TPTB's recent extreme loathing of "free smileys" (i.e. moving Locationless to Waymarking, making Earthcaches "tougher" to log upon their return to geocaching.com, etc.), I'm surprised they actually allowed these two to be published and all....

Until multiple finds on events and caches are not included in a person's find count, I don't think you can state that TPTB have an "extreme loathing" of free smileys. I also don't believe these two events are just for the purpose of free smileys either. The point is for like-minded geocachers to get together and have a laugh, and maybe even find a cat ...err... cache while they're there. Sounds like a good reason for an event to me.

Put aside the "agenda" of the events for a moment. We have two events by the same placer that are ten minutes and only a few miles apart. That seems to pretty clearly run afoul of the section of the guidelines that Mopar quoted above.

I know guidelines are guidelines and not absolute, but this does seem to set a bad precedent for future event hosts.

Put aside the "agenda" of the events for a moment. We have two events by the same placer that are ten minutes and only a few miles apart. That seems to pretty clearly run afoul of the section of the guidelines that Mopar quoted above.

I know guidelines are guidelines and not absolute, but this does seem to set a bad precedent for future event hosts.

The events are not by the same placer, they're being held by two different people.

Well, OK, you're technically correct. We just happen to have two pages in a series (by their own name) with the exact same artwork, page layout, background, and cache prose differing mostly in "BYOP" vs. "Bring a pencil". (Ten minutes apart.) Would you really claim these are independent works? The tidbit that a different cacher pushed the 'send' button and that they were submitted some time apart just seems like a conscious taunt of the 'single event cache covering all components should be submitted' thing.

[ Edited for afterthought ]

To be clear, I don't care if you have an event where you publicly taunt micro-seekers if that's your thing. Have a bonfire of film canisters or a monster truck crushing keyholders if it brings you joy. If you have one such event and want to log it a hundred times, knock yourself out. What I - and many others above - find odd is that this was approved as two events and not one.

Edited by robertlipe

First and foremost please be advised there is no precedent for placing caches. This means that the past listing of a similar cache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the listing of a new cache. If a cache has been posted and violates any guidelines listed below, you are encouraged to report it...
Edited by Markwell

First and foremost please be advised there is no precedent for placing caches. This means that the past listing of a similar cache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the listing of a new cache. If a cache has been posted and violates any guidelines listed below, you are encouraged to report it...

The guidelines also say such events won't be listed, so you can quote them 'til you're blue in the face (just ask GPSaxophone) :huh: With the fact that they're guidelines, not rules, I would guess a reviewer could use such events as precedent and list similar ones in their area if it was deemed to be in the spirit of the game/guidelines. Otherwise why not have a software program do the reviewing?

We've had large events which required some travel so we usually end up camping. Not everyone can make the Saturday event, but would have no problems meeting up on Friday night for a bonfire/cookout. This kind of event I would like to see listable here, but not sure about 2 one-minute "micro" events... then again I can choose not to attend, doesn't affect me so why would I care? Makes for fun reading though :blink:

:huh:

Catch-22! Of all the guidelines I think this one is the best... if you happen to be in a position to invoke it!

Ed

I knew at the time I wrote the above that someone would bring that up and meant to preemptively pooh-pooh that point away. Precedent is now set to at least *ask* for such exceptions.

"We're playing musical chairs at our next event. Each chair will have coords. As long as the music plays at least one minute, can we make each one an event cache?"

If I were a reviewer (and this kind of discussion reminds me why I'm not...) I'd be oh-so-thankful to have that door cracked open with placers.

and

Ed

Ed

thx.

:D

Maybe you're right, and it's just light-hearted fun.

Being a member of TRIGO I am likely biased from reading so much micro-bashing and read this to be more of the same.

I can't speak to their intent, only my interpretation. Maybe we need more one-minute-long events.

Ed

It is lighthearted fun... but it is only different from say the WWFM events in that they are willing to admit that it is lame. I would guess that if anyone is truely offended by anything like this it is only because they don't like thinking about how lame their own caching practices are... and that is not at you AR. I know you were just asking for opinions.

However you want to play the game, Pennsylvania's got something right up your alley.

Indeed!

- Rev Mike

It is lighthearted fun... but it is only different from say the WWFM events in that they are willing to admit that it is lame. I would guess that if anyone is truely offended by anything like this it is only because they don't like thinking about how lame their own caching practices are... and that is not at you AR. I know you were just asking for opinions.
Ummm, you realize that he was 'asking for opinions' two years ago, right? Edited by sbell111

I thought it was pretty funny. Think I have a multi stage event. Find the the log book to get the coords to the food. :D

Yes I realize that this thread was revived for some reason from 18 months ago, but this post is pretty darn funny! I think the first event I ever host will do this. :D