batteries

Bad_CRC

sure it's been discussed to death, but I'm curious as to what type of batteries people use and have the most luck with.

do you use rechargable or just regular batteries?

do you find one brand better than others, or are they the same?

my batteries are rechargeable, but have no lifespan, and I'm gonna get rid of them for something new.

I tried the rechargables. I found that I could use them faster than the charger could recharge the spares, no matter how many spares I had. Especially with my camera.

I just carry a lot of spare AA for the GPS and the camera. AAAs for the radios and the LED headlight. My maglight will run for a about a month of HEAVY use on 4D cells, so I don't carry spares for that. Besides, it gets dim long before it goes out, so having a set of Ds in the truck or camper is good enough. Besides, Ds are heavy.

Oh, and Energizer, Duracell, or Kodak are the only batteries I will buy.

Edited by Okiebryan

I use ENergizer rechargeables ranging from 1600 mA to 2600 mA. These seem to work great if I charge them in the old 4 hour charger and last almost as long as regular alkalines in the GPSr. When I use the quick charger I never know how long they will last. They tend to drain very quickly in the DigiCam though. After 4 years some of my originals have started to finally hit the end of their rechargeable life.

I always carry a 4 pack of duracells as a backup.

A GPSr can blow through some batteries ,especially if you are like me and don't want to worry with shutting it off after finding your cache and turning it back on when you get near the next cache site,it is so much easier to just leave that bad boy on and you just hate waiting it to reacquire sat. reception. I have started using rechargeables whenever i can,of course i always keep a few sets of alkaline AAs in my "geocache box".Rechargeables,even new ones,can be inconsistent on how long they hold a charge.They have little or no warning as to when they are going to run out of juice.Their voltage dropoff at the end of the charge is drastic.I wouldn't use them if i wanted them to last reliably for an extended period of time. Don't even fool with the cheapo "heavy duty" batteries,stick with a name brand alkaline like Duracell or Energizer .

I got sick of buying batteries all the time and decided to try some rechargeable batteries. I went to a "battery store". I purchased baatteries that are called Nuon. It cost like $10 for a 2 pack of AA and $20 or $30 for a recharger with 2 batteries. I have had great luck with them. Each charge lasts longer then regular AA lasted in my GPS (do not have camera and such). I leave my GPS on all day while caching and a fresh charge can last the whole day. The charger has a car adapter that you can charge while driving and charge in about 1 hour. I did unfortunately have one battery go bad soon after purchase but think I put it in the charger backwards and reversed the polarity.

what's the normal life of a battery in a gps?

I usually leave mine on all day, and it seems to live about 12 hours of straight load. I thgought that was bad (since it takes at least 18 hours to charge them) but maybe not.

fortunately, my current camera takes the same kind of batteries, and doesn't use them up at all unless I use flash, so that's a nice backup I've used a few times. :laughing:

I use Radio Shack rechargeables. No complaints.

I get 12 - 15 hours of use in my 60CSx (2 AAs) and 15 or more hours in my ol' GPS V (4 AAs). Depends on which specific batteries are in the unit (some last longer than others) and how fresh the recharge is. It takes overnight to recharge them.

I have learned the hard way to always carry a spare set of fresh alkalines in my day pack. Yeah, yeah, yeah I was down to one bar, but's only going to be an hour's hike at dusk. We survived, but I always carry spare batteries, now. For the wife's sake. :laughing:

I personally use the blue and yellow batteries from Dollar General, cheap and I personally think they last as long as energizers or duracells. Course the way I work it is if I am in the truck driving to and from caches I have my GPSr plugged into a external power source, only taking it off the power source to go find the cache. Works pretty good for me, I take a couple of 500+ mile trips a year, use DG batteries and that external source and go through MAYBE 8/10 batteries in a trip, plus I usually have at least a couple left when I get home.

I've been using the Energizer rechargeables in my Garmin 60CSx. Under normal use, I get about a week (to work / home 5 days about 45 min to an hour one way) plus about 4-6 hours of caching on the weekend. This is using the 2500 or 2600 mAh batteries in the charger for my older 1600 mAh batteries (it takes 10-15 hours to charge). I have a set of 8 batteries, and I use a pair in my wireless mouse (about a month before I have to recharge them) and a pair in the GPSr, with 2 pair for "spare" in case both "in-use" pairs go on the same day. I still have 4 pair of the 1600 mAh Energizers and two pair of 2000 mAh Radio Shack brand batteries I keep around for spares too. The harder part is keeping track of which ones are "charged" and which ones are "dead" after a couple weeks of use and a battery change or two. :laughing:

I bought the Energizer rechargebles with the fifteen minute recharger over two years ago. I ran my Legend GPS at least five days a week, sunrise to sunset for nearly two years on them with very consistent results, newly charged ones in each evening, used ones into the charger.

Now I use the 60 CSx and I have the power cord in the truck so I'm recharging every few weeks instead of daily, still perfect performance from the batteries.

My digital camera is to high drain for me to consider anything but Lithium in it, the CRV3 battery will take over a hundred pictures, brand new alkalines will take 12 pictures, no comparison. (AS I discovered hiking in Yellowstone when I forgot the spare camera battery and it died a mile from the truck) :laughing:

what's the normal life of a battery in a gps?

I usually leave mine on all day, and it seems to live about 12 hours of straight load. I thgought that was bad (since it takes at least 18 hours to charge them) but maybe not.

fortunately, my current camera takes the same kind of batteries, and doesn't use them up at all unless I use flash, so that's a nice backup I've used a few times. :blink:

I use the AA Energizers for my Garmin (GPSMAP76s) and the Canon digital camera. Bought the Energizer universal charger and it seems to do a great job at keeping them healthy. Not sure what kind of charger you use but this one gets them ready in about 6 hours. Personally, i don't think a quick charger is the way to go but i have heard others say that they do alright.

Rechargeables vs alkalines,,, to my notion, there is no contest. Granted, the rechargeables don't seem to run quite as long in the GPSr but they are the only way to go when used in high drain devices like the camera, at least in my 3 years experience messing with them. Oh, and they've definitely paid for themselves in the long run.

For flashlight use, the alkalines deliver higher voltage and usually provide better performance, at least in non regulated incandescent type flashlights.

I have found that rechargables are prone to loose charge just sitting in your geo bag. So, always freshly recharge them to insure you have a useable battery. Nothing worse than to count on a rechargable charged before the last trip and is dead the next time out. Always, Always carry a couple of Alkalines...just in case. Good Luck and good caching.

In my GPSr & camera I use Ray-o-Vac rechargeables. They recharge in 15 minutes in the car or the house. I can recharge faster than the machines can use them up.

Wireless microphones eat batteries like nothing else I've seen. 2 hours useful life for a 9 volt. Can't use rechargeable, voltage too low (rechargeables have lower volts – 7.5 in the 9v size, 1.25 in AA). I only use Duracell or Procell (same as Duracell, without the fancy package) in wireless mics. Over the years I tried almost every brand, and keep coming back to Duracell. They work.

Lithiums last longer - had been using them in my digital camera, put a set into the GPSr, and they seem to last quite a while longer than alkaline! I had used rechargables, too, in the past but they don't seem to hold the charge as well as they used to.

Lithiums do last longer than any that i've tried but the cost of them is prohibitive to my notion. The rechageables beat them in this respect.

Peoria Bill is right about nimhs losing their charge and for that reason, i would change my recommendation for those that do not cache too often. Alkalines and lithiums have a great shelf life so would porbably work better in a GPSr that gets used infrequently. Which ever way you go, be sure to carry extras, a set of alkalines is a good choice in this case.

Peoria Bill is right about nimhs losing their charge and for that reason, i would change my recommendation for those that do not cache too often.

Of course they do. Don't store them in the unit. Store them in the charger and make sure you get a charger that is a trickle charger.

When I head out I always have "fresh" batteries.

Paul

I started caching in August. I have purchased 8 AA duracells, and a 24 pack of cheap dollar store batteries. I have 8 cheapos left. So that's an average of 2 batteries per week. I grab 2-4 caches after work almost every day, and cache all weekend. The cheapos do just fine so I'm sticking with them. 24 pack at dollar store is around $5.

Edited by hikerT

I also use the blue and yellow Dollar General alkalines. $5 for a 24 pack of AA. In my yellow Etrex they last about as long a Duracell or Energizer alkalines. Just bought a 24 pack of AAA (also $5) to power my Palm III xe.

I also bought a PC/GPS/lighter cable for $11 on Ebay, and use it to power the GPS when in the car (and hook it up to the lap top at the same time). I bought it to hook it up to the lap top, but the lighter socket part more than paid back the money it cost in saved batteries in a matter of months.

Koikeeper and I use 2400 mahr PowerEx rechargeables and a Maha charger. I keep a set of Duracells in my pack for back-up. I date the batteries when I charge them and if it is a geo marathon I make sure they are freshly charged. The higher the mahr rating the better. When driving we use the 12 volt aux plug. Works for us! ImpalaBob

We used to have some of those ones that took 18 hours to charge. What a pain! Now we use the Energizer 15-minute rechargeables. The charger came with four 2200-mAh NiMH batteries; we've also bought some spare 2500-mAh ones and can charge them in the same charger.

The instructions that came with it recommended that you charge them shortly before you plan to use them, since they do tend to lose their charge over time. They also aren't the type that you need to drain completely before recharging, so you can "top them off" in the charger any time.

When we're going out caching all day, I'll charge some while we're getting ready to go. Once I turn the GPS on with fresh batteries, I will leave it on all day long, and by the end of the day it's usually still got at least 50% of its charge left unless I had the backlight on for a significant period of time, in which case I might be down to just one battery-life-bar. I've never had the batteries die on me if I put in freshly charged ones before heading out. (I always bring spares anyway though :laughing: )

The charger and four batteries cost about $30; a four-pack of additional batteries is about $7.

linky

I've had very good luck with the Garmin Foretrex 201 with its internal Li-Ion rechargeable battery. I've used it weekly for just over a year now, and the internal battery is still going strong. It's probably not a good choice for multi-day backpacking trips unless you use it sparingly, as the battery life is about 12 hours continuous, but it's more than adequate for typical caching dayhikes. The included charger brings the battery to full power in a couple-three hours. (I haven't monitored the charging time precisely--I just look for the "Charging Complete" message on the screen.)

AA2-LITHIUM.jpg

Lasts longer than any other I've used. The only drawback (if you can call it that) is that they drain quickly at the end rather than gradually like alkalines.

I tried a set of those lithiums in my 76s and they did last longer than regular alkalines. Was amazed at how long the battery meter showed full strength, but when it decided to die, it died quick and without warning. I remember looking at the battery level about 5 minutes before this and it had just come off the full mark.

With alkalines and rehcargeables, i do get the low battery warning and several more minutes of use after that before having to replace them.

General Purpose & Alkaline Batteries

Alkaline batteries can be safely disposed of with normal household waste. Due to concerns about mercury in the municipal solid waste stream, Duracell has voluntarily eliminated all of the added mercury from its alkaline batteries since 1993 — while maintaining the performance you demand. Our alkaline batteries are composed primarily of common metals — steel, zinc and manganese — and do not pose a health or environmental risk during normal use or disposal.

It is important not to dispose of large amounts of alkaline batteries in a group. Used batteries are often not completely "dead." Grouping used batteries together can bring these "live" batteries into contact with one another, creating safety risks.

Proven cost-effective and environmentally safe recycling processes are not yet universally available for alkaline batteries. Duracell is a leader in the industry efforts to develop sound recycling options. Some communities offer recycling or collection of alkaline batteries — contact your local government for disposal practices in your area.

Lithium, Lithium Ion, Nickel Metal Hydride & Zinc Air Batteries

These batteries may be safely disposed of in normal household waste. Contact your local government for disposal or recycling practices in your area.

Packaging

Duracell packaging may be disposed of in normal household waste or may be recycled where possible. Duracell uses only non-toxic inks in its packaging and the card portion of our package is made from 55% recycled material. The plastic portion is made from 30% recycled plastic.

AA2-LITHIUM.jpg

Lasts longer than any other I've used. The only drawback (if you can call it that) is that they drain quickly at the end rather than gradually like alkalines.

I tried a set of those lithiums in my 76s and they did last longer than regular alkalines. Was amazed at how long the battery meter showed full strength, but when it decided to die, it died quick and without warning. I remember looking at the battery level about 5 minutes before this and it had just come off the full mark.

With alkalines and rehcargeables, i do get the low battery warning and several more minutes of use after that before having to replace them.

I use them as well and they do seem to last longer than the regular alkalines. I have been using the Titanium version as well. Also, lithium batteries work better in cold temps than alkaline batteries. BTW, digital cameras tend to eat AA batts like kids and candy.

Instead of talking about which battery you use and how long it lasts what about say cost/hr. Not doubt Lithium batteries last longest but at what cost? According to Energizer's website the Lithium is awesome in digital cameras but in continuous draw devices such as a GPSr they will only last about 25% longer then the Energizer alkaline.

I can buy;

4 AA 2500 mah rechargeables with charger for $18

8 AA Energizers for $6 or 20 for $9

8 AA Lithium for $17.

24 AA Store Brand Alkaline for $5

To me I think the best bang for the buck would be the rechargeables with a batch of the cheap store brands for emergencies. Now if money wasn't important or the battteries were critical to survival, such as spelunking, or for a digital camera, yeah than I would probably opt for the Lithiums.

I use a mixture of different type of Ni-Mh Batteries. Usually, what ever is on sale. Microcenter just had a 4 pack of 2000 mha digital brand for $3.99. They have served me well so far. Like others have mentioned they tend to self discharge over time. So in “mission critical” applications, a flash light for example, I use the lithium batteries. You will be surprised how long they last in a LED flashlight. Plus I always keep a fresh set of alkaline and/or lithium in the back pack back for safety.

I know a lot of people say to get good batteries and you won’t be let down. That may be true, but I think the type of charger you get is more important. I use this one http://www.thomas-distributing.com/la_cros...ery_charger.php each battery section is independent. One can charge an “AA” battery another can charge an “AAA” battery while the another two can be “re-freshing” two “AA” batteries. It will accept different capacity batteries in each section. The current rate can be set from 200ma to 1800ma. The only draw back is it can only put 1800ma into the outside holders. The max it can do with 4 batteries is 1000ma to each holder. It will maintain a trickle charge on the batteries after they have reached full charge. The best feature is you can put what you think is a bad battery in it and put it in re-fresh mode and it will put in a charge then discharge mode until the capacity comes back. I am not saying it will bring back all batteries. It has brought a couple of mine back. Even though $45.00 seems expensive it comes with some accessories that are cool. It even comes with a 4 pack of “AA” and “AAA” Ni-Mh Batteries.

I agree that NiMH batteries are the way to go. I use Rayovac 15 minute rechargables and have had no complaints about them. I usually plug the GPS in while in the Jeep because I like the backlight on while it is in the mount. If I plan to be out all day sometimes I will carry a spare set in my pocket, but so far I have never had to use them.

Rayovac is supposed to be coming out with a NiMH that will not discharge by itself soon. I'm sure other battery companies are working on that, too. Those should be cool.

On safety, do not carry spare batteries in your pocket with keys or change. That can give you a "hot pocket", which I discovered a couple of years ago! :blink:

I've heard batteries are really nasty for the environment, you aren't even supposed to throw them in the trash cause they are hazardous waste.

anyone know if this is true? got a link?

I'd guess it'd be better to use rechargables if it is. :tired:

I do not dispute Eraseek's information on disposing of batteries in household trash.

However, some localities do prohibit disposing of batteries in household trash. The municipality I live in in North Jersey is one. Batteries, even disposable comsumer batteries, must be disposed of at approved collection centers.

I think this has to do with the disposal contracts that the municipality enters into for trash disposal. Rather than taking a risk that hazardous goods get thrown into the trash and exposing the town to fines and other damages, they just restrict all similar items.

I use NiMH rechargeables. If you use your GPS and other battery powered stuff alot, NiMH rechargeable cost much less than alkaline or lithium batteries. The newer niMH, with 2000 mah capacity or more, will power a GPS about the same period of time on a charge as alkaline batteries. The only drawback to NiMH is that they lose charge in storage, i.e., if you charge them up, put them in the GPS and then don't use it for a month, about half the charge will be gone. NiMH batteries work well in high power drain devices, like digital cameras.

I use Rayovac 15min rechargables. I like having a couple sets of them at full power, and I usually take a set with me on the trails just in case. I havn't had any complaints with these batteries: last quite a while, and charge pretty quickly too. I guess if worse came to worse I'd just steal them out of my camera (or sneak them from the gf's GPS haha... but I didn't say that!)

AA2-LITHIUM.jpg

I use them as well and they do seem to last longer than the regular alkalines. I have been using the Titanium version as well. Also, lithium batteries work better in cold temps than alkaline batteries. BTW, digital cameras tend to eat AA batts like kids and candy.

I use the lithiums in my Garmin V, a 4-pack is down to $5.25 on base.

I agree that NiMH batteries are the way to go. I use Rayovac 15 minute rechargables and have had no complaints about them. I usually plug the GPS in while in the Jeep because I like the backlight on while it is in the mount. If I plan to be out all day sometimes I will carry a spare set in my pocket, but so far I have never had to use them.

Rayovac is supposed to be coming out with a NiMH that will not discharge by itself soon. I'm sure other battery companies are working on that, too. Those should be cool.

On safety, do not carry spare batteries in your pocket with keys or change. That can give you a "hot pocket", which I discovered a couple of years ago! :tired:

mmmmm, Hot Pockets.

AA2-LITHIUM.jpg

I use the lithiums in my Garmin V, a 4-pack is down to $5.25 on base.

Be aware though, that the Energizer lithium E2 (when brand new) may shut your 60CSx down until the voltage drops to below 1.6volts. (unless Garmin has done something to overcome this glittch recently). I do like them for winter caching.

About every other Costco run or so I pick myself up a pack of Kirkland Signature AA batteries.

40 batteries shrinkwrapped in handy 4 packs, for about $9. I just toss a pack or 2 in the backpack, keep another in the truck, grab more as I use them up.

They work as well as any other battery and the pack will last me months in an array of devices (e.g. GPSr, Digital camera, flashlights, toys)

Edited by wandererrob

The Rayovac 15 minute rechargable NiMH batteries are great. Just get a DC/AC inverter and plug the charger in while you drive. When the set in your GPS dies, fresh ones are ready to go. Then charge the drained ones as you drive. I bought a Rayovac 15 minute charger and two batteries for about $15 a year ago. The extra set of 15 minute batteries is about half that. You have to use the special batteries, however. Regular NiMH and NICAD batteries charge for about 16 hours, like in any other charger.

I normally use Eveready NiMH batteries. However some time ago I won a package of Lithium Batteries at a geocaching event. I decided to try them in my GPS and wow.....

They lasted well over a month! And I did a good amount of caching in that month. The only disadvantage I saw was that the GPS kept saying 4 bars right up until the batteries died.

I'll continue to use my Rechargeables since once purchased the cost of using them is almost zero, but I think I'll keep a pack of Lithiums in the glove box for those emergencies.

For those of you with electronic compass' in your Garmin handhelds (Magellans too ?), you can turn off the compass until you need it; this prolongs the longevity of your batteries.

For 60's, press and hold "Page" a couple seconds. For Etrex', I believe you press and hold the page button (above the on/off button).

I use 2500 mAh Energizer rechargeables; I also have some 2300 mAh Panasonics that hold a charge well.

Stay away from Powerizers; they are significantly overrated on mAh and are also a bit larger than most batteries, and my not fit into your battery compartment.

I have the 15 minute NIMH Ray-O-Vacs and they are great. I have both the indoor charger and the car charger cords so I can have fresh batteries anytime I need them. I have a GPSr with color screen and leave the backlight on most of the time and usually get a day's use out of one set.

Edited by MAG315

About every other Costco run or so I pick myself up a pack of Kirkland Signature AA batteries.

40 batteries shrinkwrapped in handy 4 packs, for about $9. I just toss a pack or 2 in the backpack, keep another in the truck, grab more as I use them up.

They work as well as any other battery and the pack will last me months in an array of devices (e.g. GPSr, Digital camera, flashlights, toys)

This is what I do as well. The fact that they are wrapped in sets of 4 makes them very handy to grab and go and not have loose batteries floating around a backpack or pocket....

I use NiMH rechargeables. If you use your GPS and other battery powered stuff alot, NiMH rechargeable cost much less than alkaline or lithium batteries. The newer niMH, with 2000 mah capacity or more, will power a GPS about the same period of time on a charge as alkaline batteries. The only drawback to NiMH is that they lose charge in storage, i.e., if you charge them up, put them in the GPS and then don't use it for a month, about half the charge will be gone. NiMH batteries work well in high power drain devices, like digital cameras.

If you use Nimh batteries in your GPSr or any device they will lose about 1% of their charge per day of non use. So 50% of the power after 1 month is reasonable. Hope this helps.

This is what I do as well. The fact that they are wrapped in sets of 4 makes them very handy to grab and go and not have loose batteries floating around a backpack or pocket....

Same here. I got tired of the sorting out charged vs. noncharged so I switched to deposables. I just go through 2 packs one at a time. When I find loose batteries I know they have been used and toss them in the garbage.

Edited by Acid Rain