Magellan 500LS - comments

GRNZOOM

I ordered a Magellan 500LS from Costco. It arrived today.

It has the battery clip for three AAA batteries, but no LiI-ION battery, but the power charging was in the box.

It was advertised included was topo 3D map. You get a top map in a CD with other stuff. On the box there is a sticker "Special Offer MapSend Topo 3D for $9.99."

I don't like the way the battery clip fits over the SD card holder. It's real tight and looks like it won't hold up after a few in and outs.

I fooled around the a couple of hours trying to load waypoint from GASK to the 500. It can't be that hard, but I can't do it. ... any ideas?

I'll call Magellan support tomorrow and see if the service is as horrible as folks have been reporting.

If it is, and I can't get waypoint loaded, back it goes to Costco.

Nick

Leave the battery clip in and move the batteries in and out.

Do not call Magellan service. There is a great amount of knowledge in these forums. Do some searching and reading like we all did to figure it out. Remember that everything you transfer needs to be in a file. Create the correct file, name with the correct extension, and put it in the correct folder.

I may have given up too soon, but I couldn't get the 500 to D/L waypoints for GASK.

I got instructions from here on the forum, but still no go. :laughing:

Plus, I didn't care for the battery clip, hard to remove to get to the SD card.

Because the unit is small, the buttons are small and the screen is smaller than my MariGold.

So.. I am going to return the unit to Costco, wait untill my MariGold poops out and go shopping then.

I'll be looking at the Garmin unit for lots of reasons stated on the forum.

Nick