5/5 question

olbluesguy

According to the Gocache rating system the cache hide I am planning comes out a

5/5.

It says....Finding this cache requires very specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment. This is a serious mental or physical challenge.

What I want to know is, am I obligated to say what eqipment is required,or should I let the cacher decide for himself after he sizes up the challenge.

There may be more than one way to skin a cat on this one.

O'BG

I haven't hid nor found a 5/5, but as far as I know the owner is not obligated to give any information that they feel will take the challenge out of the hide. If you think figuring out what type of equipment to use is part of the challenge, then it's your right as the cache owner not to include that info on the page... IMHO.

I would tell them what type of equipment, but nothing exact. If it is under water, I would say something like " going to need more than a snorkle for this one " Now if you are going to have them repel down a cliff, say something like " rope might be a good idea "

Just so they know what type of extreme measure they will coming up against. This will save the SCUBA divers from carrying their equipment to the side of a mountain :laughing:

but leave the rest for them

No, you are not obligated to tell anybody what equipment is required. I would expect to make 2 or more trips for a true 5/5. The first would be to size up the situation. Too many people expect an homogonized, predictable hunt. It's a 5/5. Its supposed to be hard. No need to hold their hand.

Edited by briansnat

You have no obligation whatsoever to reveal the equipment that you will need to do the cache. 5/5 is meant to be hard. Very hard.

If you like you can reveal the equipment. SCUBA caches would be a good example. There are people who like to seek those out and plan trips around them. Mentioning the equipment makes it possible.

Edited by Renegade Knight

If you are going to describe the necessary equipment, keep it vague. Nothing ruins a 5/5 like "You'll need 471' of 11mm climbing rope, webbing, at least 24 carabiners and an SLCD, along with a belayer". If you decide against mentioning the necessary equipment, you can describe the environment, and include a statement to the effect of, "Because this is a true 5/5, you will probably need to make more than one trip".

I agree with most of the above comments.

However, we like to have the cacher prepared, somewhat, for the challenges. We figure the hunt is supposed to fun and challenging, not frustrating. There's no need to hold their hands, but a bit of foreknowledge helps smooth out the rough spots and makes it more enjoyable, IMHO.

Though i haven't attempted any cache that recquires the type of specialized equipment you are referring to,i fully understand that if i was going to go after a 5/5 that i would need to gather imformation about what would be involved in getting to and from the cache.It is expected that there may be several attempts at this before completion of the event.I feel it up to the cache owner how much info is disclosed in the cache description.If it were me i would include references as to the type skills needed and leave it up to the cacher to assemble what they feel is appropriate equipment.

SniperChicken

I would say consider your audience.

If you want it found only by locals with time to return to the site then minimal info is fine.

If on the other hand you want folks who travel to get it, who may not be able to dedicate multiple trips, then I would elaborate, maybe even be specific.

Perhaps consider a contact option - tell folks that if they are traveling more than 50 miles to get this cache and time is limited to email you and you will tell them what gear to bring.

Ed

No, you are not obligated to tell anybody what equipment is required. I would expect to make 2 or more trips for a true 5/5. The first would be to size up the situation. Too many people expect an homogonized, predictable hunt. It's a 5/5. Its supposed to be hard. No need to hold their hand.

Right on.

The second 5 represents the difficulty of the terrain and whether specialized equipment is needed.

The first 5 represents the difficulty in solving the hide. Once you put that first 5 on you've declared it is going to be a difficult challenge and likely not to be solved on the first try.

A traditional ammo can under some rocks on top of a butte where climbing equipment is required would be a 1/5. If you want to let potential finders know that climbing equipment and experience is required, great.

An ammo can disguised as a rock perched on the side of the abutment 50ft down from the top, that's a 5/5. No explanations or apologies required.

I agree with the folks that say you can leave the discovery to the searcher if you prefer.

If the trip out to the cache just to do the intial scouting is a long trip, you may get fewer searchers, though. Fewer folks are willing to hike ten miles just to see what they need to drag back with them on a second trip. On the other hand, if mere distance is part of the challenge, that's fine too.

I would say consider your audience.

If you want it found only by locals with time to return to the site then minimal info is fine.

If on the other hand you want folks who travel to get it, who may not be able to dedicate multiple trips, then I would elaborate, maybe even be specific.

Perhaps consider a contact option - tell folks that if they are traveling more than 50 miles to get this cache and time is limited to email you and you will tell them what gear to bring.

Ed

I did not think of that option good idea, thanks I think I will use that.

You will have to give me your home co-ordinates to get a clue LOL

O'BG