Why continue to place geocoins?

LadeBear68

I don't understand some cachers' mentality and hope to gain some insight here. I recently had a geocoin placed in a cache where three travel bugs have been stolen already. The cacher who placed the geocoin says, let's see what idiot will steal the geocoin. I also visited a cache today in SC where at least five travel bugs, which includes geocoins, have come up missing, yet cachers still put geocoins in the cache.

If the cache is known to have items removed from it without logging, why put more geocoins or travel bugs into the cache?

I have released most of my coins and at least one or two have come up missing. I see that as part of the risk of leaving them in the wild but to watch people continue to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result is mind boggling.

Yep... some people's thought process astounds me. I can ALMOST picture the thought process:

"They stole it? Hrmph! Well, I'll put ANOTHER one there. THAT'LL show them that they can't stop my geocoins."

I dunno... that's all I've got. That or the "They can't keep stealing them forever" type mentality... but that doesn't even make much sense.

Releasing travelers.

Rule number 1

DO NOT release anything you are not willing to lose.

In my opinion, many people who release coins are not ready to accept this. They definately understand it, but they want to release coins and have a problem when it is lost or stolen.

I can hear the response, Well duh! Some jerk stole my coin and that is WRONG.

All I can say is, Welcome to the club.

What do you really expect the rest of us to do? Ban all members who can't log a coin properly?

Guess what, it ain't gonna help. There will always be somebody who screws it up, either on purpose or on accident. There will always be something that makes your coin go bye-bye. Pirates are far and few between. Your coins are being stolen by people who never log a thing.

That's why we have pinned threads such as the Tb Longevity Clinic and the TB obituary.

We know at some point it's gonna get lost. Hook or crook.

The first piece of advice on keeping your TB active?

“Eliminate any collectable qualities”

The first problem for coins.

Second problem?

It’s pretty tough to re-release a coin facsimile without people complaining about it.

You all are on your own for that one. A one-time-use-only-high-chance-of-theft traveler doesn't seem like a practical investment to me.

I think you missed the point. I have a problem with cachers who keep putting coins in caches that already have logs that say "travel bugs are missing or geocoins are missing". Why would you keep putting geocoins in caches where other coins have been stolen or are missing?

No, I don't want you to ban people who can't log a travel bug or coin properly. I recognize this is the case sometimes and offer help.

I also disagree to defacing my coins in some way. I am not going to deface a coin because that will hinder some person from taking it. As you can already read from a previous thread, it didn't help.

Edited by LadeBear68

Yes, it would not let me post the complete question which would be: why continue to place geocoins in caches where prior geocoins and travel bugs have been stolen or have gone missing?

Well, now maybe you can understand why I got rid of all my geocoins and any log of finding one.

You want your coin to stay in circulation.

You are asking the wrong questions.

Just my two bits.........I see where you're coming from, but sometimes you can easily confuse cause & effect on these things.

I mean...if TBs/Coins are repeatedly stolen from a cache, then you have to ask why. In some cases it may be that one or two locals find it fun to steal from that cache, they know where it is & have easy access, but to say it's bad to put a coin in a cache that's missing a TB or 2 is assuming malevalence. That (sadly) may be the case for some, But in most cases (around here at least) the caches that have a few TBs come up missing are also the more traveled caches (the local "TB Hotel"). More TBs go there, more cachers (and probably muggles) go there too, and more get lost/stolen. For TBs/coins with a specific destination or esp. ones that just want miles, there's no better local place to put them than the cache with 3 missing. If you look at it statistically, the more your coin travels, the more chances it has to get lost or stolen, no matter which caches it's put it.

We should note that most local caches are hard to get to. That's why there are less than 50 West Virginians with a cache count over 200. So the few really good TB hotels are pretty well used as that.

Now....placing coins in a cache that's been muggled repeatedly...that, I will agree, is foolish.

Just my two bits.........I see where you're coming from, but sometimes you can easily confuse cause & effect on these things.

I mean...if TBs/Coins are repeatedly stolen from a cache, then you have to ask why. In some cases it may be that one or two locals find it fun to steal from that cache, they know where it is & have easy access, but to say it's bad to put a coin in a cache that's missing a TB or 2 is assuming malevalence. That (sadly) may be the case for some, But in most cases (around here at least) the caches that have a few TBs come up missing are also the more traveled caches (the local "TB Hotel"). More TBs go there, more cachers (and probably muggles) go there too, and more get lost/stolen. For TBs/coins with a specific destination or esp. ones that just want miles, there's no better local place to put them than the cache with 3 missing. If you look at it statistically, the more your coin travels, the more chances it has to get lost or stolen, no matter which caches it's put it.

We should note that most local caches are hard to get to. That's why there are less than 50 West Virginians with a cache count over 200. So the few really good TB hotels are pretty well used as that.

Now....placing coins in a cache that's been muggled repeatedly...that, I will agree, is foolish.

True, and I wish there was a way to alert everybody about these caches.

but a thief simply moves on a another cache and pretty soon you can't place them anywhere.

I'd rather be able to place them everywhere and have the casual finder do the same.

Getting back to the original point... It would be nice if the owner of said cache put a note in the Description, saying point-blank that there is a known traveler thief in the area, so please do not leave any travelers in the cache. That won't stop it completely (there is no fool-proof system, as there is always a bigger fool out there), but it might make others, especially non-locals, aware of the problem. It might also make the thief realize that folks are onto him or her. That won't likely stop the thief, entirely, but at least s/he will have to consider the fact that people know that someone local is a rotten coward.

The sensible response from an owner is to place a warning on an "unsafe for tb's cache" or to disable and rehide immediately!

but a thief simply moves on a another cache and pretty soon you can't place them anywhere.

I'd rather be able to place them everywhere and have the casual finder do the same.

The sensible response from an owner is to place a warning on an "unsafe for tb's cache" or to disable and rehide immediately!

That is the truth! On our trip to Oregon and back we must have droped 30 or more unactivated coins and requested that one coin be taken by one individual or team and leave one for someone else. Anyone wanting to check my logs can see where 1 geocacher not only got one but followed us to several or more caches while taking all the loot.

I am down to my last try with geocoins. Last month I released a Unactivated Geocoin TB in hope that it will be passed from geocacher to geocacher without ever touching a cache. Seems like the best way to find out who the thief is if this works as it is intended to work. Nothing is fool proof but if cachers continue stealing coins I myself will end up placing them in the most difficult caches and keeping records of every coin that leaves my hand. Maybe that is why I haven't seen any activated Moun10Bike coins anywhere except in someones collection or on a piece of paper.

Edited by Tennessee Jed

Since I don't track the theft record of caches before I seek them out I'd blindly place things in the cache and go about my business none the wiser.

This seems to me to be the best answer.

I have my palm with tons of caches in it at all times. sometimes i dont cache for weeks or months even, and although I do add new caches weekly, some may be in my palm for a while before I do a full update, the last few logs MAY give you a hint to this, but i may have the listing in my palm from when it was first placed and no logs at all. I rarely check the online logs untill im loging them.

This has problems too, sometimes I dont know that a cache went missing or is diabled for whatever reason. but no system is perfect.

I've said it before and will say it again -- the problem is the icon.

If a travel bug owner had the option to "ghost" the icon - then there would be no easy way to determine if a travel bug or coin was in a cache. A person set on stealing would, at the least, not have a quick way of finding their "target".

Imagine if all the houses on your street had a list on the sidewalk listing their contents? It would be theif heaven!

Of course, coins and tb's will still get stolen by adults with no ethics, but the removal of the "flag" will go a long way to alleviate this problem.

Look, I'm new to this.

After my first find, and finding a really kewl coin that

had a specific mission, which I was more than happy to

comply with, I was hooked. I LOOK for those icons and

go to caches specifically to try and find those coins.

I don't have a problem if they have been drilled

and gegaws attached, if it will keep

them in circulation longer. Sometimes, I carry around the

undrilled ones for a day or two admiring the coin

then, happily after work, back into a cache it goes.

I like the coins. I especailly like enjoying them and

passing them on.

I know this will wear off. But I'm enjoying it for now.

I have only once found a coin that wasn't logged,

but I noted that I took it in the log and it showed

up later and the poster emailed me to log the coin.

She had been on vacation out here.

Send your coins to Europe...seems like those folks actually have a clue as to what "travelers" are all about. Checkout the "Grand Experiment" we have quite a few participants from the other continent that are willing to play fair.

In my experience the Aussies and Kiwi's will also keep geocoins moving. I have released a couple of coins for US residents and so far (touch wood) so good. If you would like to travel vicariously through your coin in Australia then send 'em over here and we can set them free.

Its also nice to see new and different coins circulating - the costs of coins, freight and exchange differences make purchasing coins an expensive passtime for us in the Antipodes. :laughing:

I had a coin end up getting lost from the first cache I place it in.

Now I just let people log the coin with others in my collection.

The page to the coin is http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=579632

I'm very confused. If this coin was stolen from the first cache you placed it in, then how are you

1-placing it in caches still

and

2-letting people log it with others in your collection?

Isn't this virtual logging?

Look, I'm new to this.

After my first find, and finding a really kewl coin that

had a specific mission, which I was more than happy to

comply with, I was hooked. I LOOK for those icons and

go to caches specifically to try and find those coins.

I don't have a problem if they have been drilled

and gegaws attached, if it will keep

them in circulation longer. Sometimes, I carry around the

undrilled ones for a day or two admiring the coin

then, happily after work, back into a cache it goes.

I like the coins. I especailly like enjoying them and

passing them on.

I know this will wear off. But I'm enjoying it for now.

I have only once found a coin that wasn't logged,

but I noted that I took it in the log and it showed

up later and the poster emailed me to log the coin.

She had been on vacation out here.

That is exactly how it should work be working, thank you for playing fairly.

but there are some spoilsports out there that are picking up the coins, not logging them anywhere, and keeping them. And they are also searching out the caches that show the icons so they can get even more of them.

Yeah...I'll keep placing ones that I want to travel for some reason or another...BUT, I am awaiting concrete confirmation that the first coin I sent out ended up meeting its demise after 3 caches. I'm just glad that I have a spare to keep in my personal collection, and possibly send out later as the half-brother of the possibly missing coin.

And you know what...if the person that picked it up and didn't log it really wants the coin, they can contact me and we can arrange something. But seriously, it can bum you out pretty quick to have your first coin go MIA!