Not list in Directory?

It seems to come up every so often, a category that exists but is not visible in the directory.

Why is there an option to not have a category in the directory? I can only think of 'naughty' reasons for this to be used (guess why... better yet... don't)

And once a category passes "Peer Review" shouldn't it automatically be added to the Directory? Sure if there are edits to be made, they can still be made. But everyone already saw the "RAW" version anyway.

Personally I'd like to see all Categories listed automatically after passing Peer Review, and if someone wants to then 'hide' their category then they can turn on the cloaking device manually.

:P The Blue Quasar

It seems to come up every so often, a category that exists but is not visible in the directory.

Why is there an option to not have a category in the directory? I can only think of 'naughty' reasons for this to be used (guess why... better yet... don't)

And once a category passes "Peer Review" shouldn't it automatically be added to the Directory? Sure if there are edits to be made, they can still be made. But everyone already saw the "RAW" version anyway.

Personally I'd like to see all Categories listed automatically after passing Peer Review, and if someone wants to then 'hide' their category then they can turn on the cloaking device manually.

:P The Blue Quasar

The initial reason for having an invisible category was to allow the category managers to designate the moment their category goes live after they gain approval. You might be right that this isn't necessary. We'll discuss this and determine whether or not this policy continues to be worthwhile or not. Thanks for the post.

Sure edits can be made after it goes live, but it is nice to have the option to make those edits before it goes live. With my first category, I didn't have any variables. It passed peer review, and technically could have gone live, but I was able to go and make all those changes and create variables before people started populating it. Had it gone live before I made the changes, I could have had waymarks submitted that didn't contain all the variable that I was adding.

I'm just saying that sometimes a great category doesn't get listed. Maybe the leader thinks it happens automatically or they don't know how to turn it on or forget.

If there are edits to be made, they could take the category out of the directory, effect repairs and then relist. Kinda like "Disable Category"... it would still be visible, but not accepting any new listings till it is Enabled.

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

I think a way to handle this would be put it in the category creation flow list.

Currently the list is something like:

Create category description

Create variables

Call for officer vote

Send to peer review.

Just add "Make category visible" as the last step. (I would change the wording to something like "Make category available" or something) This change would make this step more visible and is really the final step on creating a category.

Edited by BruceS