Garmin GPSMap 60csx vs. 76csx

R&R_Hiker

Is there a reason no one seams to be talking about the 76CSx?

Typically I go by the rule "buy the most memory/features you can afford" which seems to hold true with any computer equipment.

The 76CSx has the buttons in what appears to be a more ergonomic (user friendly) location.

I am new to GeoCaching "or will be" as soon as I get a gps of my own, So any info would be appreciated.

I will also be using the GPS for hiking, cannoeing and in the future road travel.

P.S. I have been reading the other messages in this forum "GPS Units and Software".

Thanks in advance,

R&R_Hiker

It is a personal choice. Some people like the buttons above, some like them below. Mounting options are also different. Do a serach, there is big thread discussing the differences with great side by side photos.

Hardware wise they are the same, just a different case.

I like the 76 series. The button configuration works best for me on the 76. I had a 76s and when I upgraded I bought the 76cs which fit the same Ram mounts for my cars. When I upgrade again it will be the 76csx. BUT The only complaint I have on the 76 series is that when you carry them by the lanyard they hang upside down and loose sat coverage. Small item to pick at but it is the only ONE I can come up with.

Team sidewinder

Edited by Team Sidewinder

I like the 76 series. The button configuration works best for me on the 76. I had a 76s and when I upgraded I bought the 76cs which fit the same Ram mounts for my cars. When I upgrade again it will be the 76csx. BUT The only complaint I have on the 76 series is that when you carry them by the lanyard they hang upside down and loose sat coverage. Small item to pick at but it is the only ONE I can come up with.

Team sidewinder

Have to ask, why on earth drop so much cash on three units? Why not just buy the csx off the bat and be done with it?

Edited by flfirefighter

Have to ask, why on earth drop so much cash on three units? Why not just buy the csx off the bat and be done with it?

Hint: check the dates of introduction of the three models mentioned. Not everyone is clairvoyant about Garmin's future product plans, nor do we all want to wait a few years for the improved product to arrive.

I think it has to do with 2 main reasons...

• What you had before
  • The form factor (button locations)

What you had before: Well, like another poster, I had a 76CS as a previous unit which means the mounts, cases, etc I own all work with the 76 units. The 60 units would require additional purchases above and beyond the unit.

I purchased the 76CS because those units didn't have expandable memory. That meant the more memory built in, the more maps you could store. The 76 series had more memory then the 60 series. The 60 series was just less then I could get away with on a trip from NJ to NC that we do frequently to visit my wife's parents. That's not a concern now because the units use expandable memory.

The form factor: Folks say the 76 series is bigger then the 60 series and it might be but ever so slightly. I prefer the buttons in the location on the 76 but that again would all be personal opinion.

If I again would look to upgrade, I'd stay with the 76 series, assuming that's still what they provide, because of the accessories I already own.

Does the external antenae on the 60 series provide better reception than the 70 series?

I don't think it was an issue with the previous version and definitely not an issue with the x series.

I could go on a 15 mile wooded hike with my 76CS and not lose a signal. I rarely lost signal unless under extremely dense tree cover.

Costco Online has the GPSMAP 76CX for sale at $339. I have the 76S and the 76C. This does not have the compass or barometer. My 76S has both which I never use. I like the 76 series. On my vehicles I just jam them between the dash and windshield using the non-skid pads. This is a good buy. My 76C does a good job except in very heavy trees.

I am hoping they will come out withthe 76CX that is preloaded for the

US and Canada.