Lat and Long Finder

Wondering if there is a free/shareware program available that will give Latitude and Longitude for a specfic address. The address I need is in a fairly new development, so the program will need to be current within a year or two. Everything I have found puts me in the area, but not to the specfic address. Is there such a thing, or am I just spittin in the wind here?

If anyone dissagrees that google earth is prefect for this, they are crazy. Download from googleearth.com.

Excuse me, but IMO this post shows extreme arrogance and the total lack of knowledge of the poster.

In many areas of the country Google Earth lacks the capability to show ANYWHERE NEAR enough detail to be able to identify a specific address. In my area , GE is totally worthless.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried them all, still unable to get the results I'm looking for. I guess the addy I'm looking for is too new to be on these programs. I even put my own address in GEOCODER, and it didn't come up, this address has been here for +/- 15 years!

Guess I'll just have to do it the old fashion way and ask for directions. :blink:

If anyone dissagrees that google earth is prefect for this, they are crazy. Download from googleearth.com.

Excuse me, but IMO this post shows extreme arrogance and the total lack of knowledge of the poster.

In many areas of the country Google Earth lacks the capability to show ANYWHERE NEAR enough detail to be able to identify a specific address. In my area , GE is totally worthless.

Really? :D I have only been using GE for a few months, so I wouldn't know. I will test this once I go to montana. I will compare survey results with GE results.

Really? :D I have only been using GE for a few months, so I wouldn't know. I will test this once I go to montana. I will compare survey results with GE results.

I used Google Earth last year to find a hunting preserve where we were going to hunt. Google earth was only about 10 miles off. :D

came across this post while exploring the new Bing search engine.

If anyone is looking for a good geocoder or a page to find lat/long (to find parking coords for caches) feel free to try my site:

http://www.sirzman.com/gc/llf.cfm

You can enter an address, or you can move the pin around on the map (zoom into street level and switch to satellite view and set the pin to get the exact parking coords near the cache your after).

If anyone is looking for a good geocoder or a page to find lat/long (to find parking coords for caches) feel free to try my site:

You can enter an address, or you can move the pin around on the map (zoom into street level and switch to satellite view and set the pin to get the exact parking coords near the cache your after).

Pretty cool. Nice job.

I use this one

http://www.capelinks.com/cape-cod/maps/geocode/

You can also enter some landmarks without giving it an address and it will geocode it.

I also use this one quite often

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=address

Capelinks doesn't allow you to move a pin around to get a coord (at least not quickly)

gpsvisualizer is nice, but complicated, and you need to do a lot to get your coords (several steps).

WHOA!!!!!! :grin::P:D Maybe the coords are more accurate here. I live in SB in southern CA. Most of the time it is only around ten or twenty feet off.

When people say off, I ask off what.

I am in So. Calif, USA. Have you ever seen those big white X's painted on top of super-accurate benchmarks? The ones that are accurate to about 1cm. You can look up the coordinates of those. When I look at one of these in GE and put the cursor over it, I get the same coordinates........

I tried your site in both IE and Chrome. The longitude number would never change for me. Once I set the pin and hit find address (which it could not find), then I could no longer get the pin back either.

Neat site though.

I use this one

http://www.capelinks.com/cape-cod/maps/geocode/

You can also enter some landmarks without giving it an address and it will geocode it.

I also use this one quite often

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=address

Capelinks doesn't allow you to move a pin around to get a coord (at least not quickly)

gpsvisualizer is nice, but complicated, and you need to do a lot to get your coords (several steps).

The OP didn't say anything about moving a pin around, I believe he said "geocode a specific address", and I don't know what is so complicated with GPS visualizer, I click on geocode a single address, paste it or type it in and click on the geocode button and it gives me the coordinates in two different formats. What could be simpler?

I tried your site in both IE and Chrome. The longitude number would never change for me. Once I set the pin and hit find address (which it could not find), then I could no longer get the pin back either.

Neat site though.

Hmm, haven't tried it in Chrome, but I've had no problems with IE. It's been up for almost two years now. I'll try playing around with it and see if I can get it to do what you say.

Thanks for the feedback.

The longitude number would never change for me. Once I set the pin and hit find address (which it could not find), then I could no longer get the pin back either.

FYI

The same thing happened to me using Safari and a Mac computer.

When I click "set pin here", the pin jumped to the center of the map.

The lat changed but the long never changed from -93.448634 and when I clicked on "find address" I got the following message "Sorry, we were unable to geocode that address". The pin then disappeared and I could not retrieve it.

The same thing happened to me using Safari and a Mac computer.

When I click "set pin here", the pin jumped to the center of the map.

The lat changed but the long never changed from -93.448634 and when I clicked on "find address" I got the following message "Sorry, we were unable to geocode that address". The pin then disappeared and I could not retrieve it.

Wow, I completely forgot about this... I have fixed the longitude issue on the map.

The "Set Pin Here" button is only supposed to be used to get the pin to show on the map if it is not showing...say you start out in the Twin Cities...then zoom out move the map to Chicago, and zoom in on a park. The Pin will still be in MN, so clicking the Set Pin Here, just sets it to the center of the map. This is described in the documentation.

If you are still having problems with the Address go to my geocaching profile page and send me an email with the address you are trying to submit and I'll see if I can figure it out...I tried 3 addresses and all of them worked.

Thanks.