Making transparent maps

I was wondering if there is a way to transform an existing *.img file and make it transparent.

I have MetroGuide Canada as well as Topo Canada. I want to make the img files from Topo Canada transparent and upload them together with MetroGuide. This way I could see the topo map while using the MetroGuide, without switching back and forth.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Laurentiu

It is possible, however, it is complicated. Search for threads on making your own maps. It is all there. There is one problem with transparent maps. The polygons (water, vegetation, parks, etc...) are not transparent and will block out everthing below them.

You do realise that Topo Canada has the EXACT same roads as Metroguide Canada?

I was wondering if there is a way to transform an existing *.img file and make it transparent.

I have MetroGuide Canada as well as Topo Canada. I want to make the img files from Topo Canada transparent and upload them together with MetroGuide. This way I could see the topo map while using the MetroGuide, without switching back and forth.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Laurentiu

I would have to say I think it is against copyrights to edit Topo Canada from Garmin. Look on the site and learn how to make your own. They are much better anyways and free of charge.

The only way to figure out which file is which map is to open the files in GPSMapedit and view the properties (ALT-Enter). The map name then is visible. It is a bunch of work finding the file you want.

Anyway, this is the 5 cent tutorial on how to achieve what you want. If you are NOT comfortable with computers and willing to do some figuring out, just forget the idea. If you screw up your Mapsource install, don't complain to me.

1) Find the Topo Canada map file that you want to change and open with GPSMapedit. I would suggest making a backup of the file first, maybe a copy with a .bak extension. This will allow you to undo the change if needed.

2) In map properties, go to the "cGPSMapper tab" and check the box "Map is Transparent:".

3) Save the map to an MP file.... I would suggest making a special directory to keep track of what you are doing.

4) Export to an IMG file using GPSMapedit. Place a copy of the exported file into the regular Topo Canada map folder with the EXACT same file name as the original.

5) Run mapsource and see if the map looks the same. It should no different than before.

6) Upload the Topo Canada and MG Canada maps to the GPS and the Topo Canada ones should show together (on top) with the MG maps.

Note that the routing is lost in this excercise, but MG Canada will still route.

The only way to figure out which file is which map is to open the files in GPSMapedit and view the properties (ALT-Enter). The map name then is visible. It is a bunch of work finding the file you want.

Thanks, Red,

Well.... is there another way of checking this?

To go and open each map one by one is possible, in theory, at least. Topo Canada has 7,317 img files. I can't see myself opening every single one until I find what I need.

What about selecting a few maps in Mapsource, saving the file into a format then checking with another program to see which img files are there? Is there a way of doing this?

Then I can go and change the files, as you suggested.

Thanks again,

Laurentiu

There is no other way that I know of. Saving from Mapource does not work as it compiles into a different file.

There are a few shortcuts.....

The maps are grouped somewhat. Usually the 16 maps in a 1:250000 are together. So you only need to look at one of every 15 files until you find you are in the same sheet set.

Also you can look at the size shown in the Mapsource select screen and the file size is in that vicinity.

I would have to say I think it is against copyrights to edit Topo Canada from Garmin. Look on the site and learn how to make your own. They are much better anyways and free of charge.

There is no way to make a "better" contour map. The data in Topo Canada is at the highest resolution of contours that is available. The same data is available for free but it is the same.

Thanks, Red,

To go and open each map one by one is possible, in theory, at least. Topo Canada has 7,317 img files. I can't see myself opening every single one until I find what I need.

What about selecting a few maps in Mapsource, saving the file into a format then checking with another program to see which img files are there? Is there a way of doing this?

Then I can go and change the files, as you suggested.

Thanks again,

Laurentiu

This will pull the img files and put them in a directory so you can edit them...

use Mapsource and upload only the maps you want to edit to your GPSr

get a copy of GPSDaemon http://www.geocities.com/swan_gps/gpsdaemon.zip

start GPSDaemon...have GPSr turned on and connected to computer

under Map Source select GPS

under Map List click Create

once it has pulled the file listing click Select All under Map Select

click Start under Map Extract...this will extract the img files to the directory you specify in "Directory to save files:" at bottom of program.

Edited by rws

Hunting for the right map tile is kinda like geocaching. :-)

You can load them up in the graphical sendmap20 view and it will tell you the file name and it's name (city and state in the case of the MetroGuide I'm looking at).

http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/images/gps/sendmap20.png

I don't think I'd load all 7k at once....

or you can open up the .tdb in gpsmapedit and hover the mouse over the tile in question. You can't see my cursor hovering here because it's a linux box with a VNC-like app looking at a Windows box captured by a... never mind. You'll get the idea.

http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/images/gps/gpsmapedit.png

I didn't inline them because they are kinda big.

I am sure there are better, easier, smarter ways. Someone will chime in.