airports & airplanes

vortexecho

I just got back from a cross country flight. I asked on the first flight and was told that it was an approved electronic device, at least on that airline.

It is very interesting tracking the progress of the flight. Grabbed some pictures of the GPS with one of he bugs I had along.

As long as the pilot isn't a geocacher (especially an avid FTF hunter!), GPS should be fine on an airplane.

If he is, be prepared for PA announcements like

"Ladies and Gentlemen, there will be an unscheduled short-field landing, as a new cache has just appeared bearing 38° only 63 miles off of our flight path!" :unsure:

"Control, this is United 672, requesting departure from controlled flight to VFR"

"United 672, are you declaring an emergency at this time?"

"No, uh, yes... sorta... see, there's this cache down there..."

or even a passenger

"Sir, please return to your seat"

"No, we have to land! Tell the pilot to turn right in 500 feet!"

"Sir, please return to your seat now!"

"Lady, there's a new cache down there, understand? We have to land this thing NOW!"

No, maybe we'd better keep GPS off of airplanes after all!

If he is, be prepared for PA announcements like "Ladies and Gentlemen, there will be an unscheduled short-field landing, as a new cache has just appeared bearing 38° only 63 miles off of our flight path!"

I want a Heli license so bad. :unsure:

Then I could say things like:

"Trees you say? I thought that was why we had the big mower blade up on top!"

Ever since I got my GPS, I've used it on flights (when I have a window seat) to track our progress. When I see interesting towns or geographical features below, I take a waypoint and look them up on a map later. It's fun noting the aircraft's speed too - hundreds of miles per hour!

I had no idea GPSr's might be disallowed. :unsure:

We just flew from Utah to Oakland California and back last weekend and both times I used my gps by the window. I was worried going through security that I might get bag checked because of it but I just left it on top of all my clothes and had no problem. We flew southwest and as soon as we got our seats we looked through that book in the back of the seat and near the end of it they had a list of allowed devices, and gps receivers was listed. So as soon as we got the okay from the flight attendant to use our electronic devices I whipped it out and started searching for signals.

It took a bit and you have to hold it near the window almost all the time but it's so cool to see your speed at 500 mph and elevation at 41 thousand feet (only at 36 thousand on the way back home). And the trip went by really fast when we were able to follow our course and see what land marks we went over.

Very fun stuff.

Here's the law from the Federal Avaition Regulations. Section 91.21.

aExcept as provided in para b of this section no person may operate....an portable electronic device on any of the following US-registered civil aircraft: (1) Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate....

b(5)Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to--

(1) Portable voice recorders

(2)Hearing aids

(3)Heart Pacemakers

(4) Electric Shavers; or

(5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communicate system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.

So....long story short if the pilot determines it will not cause interference its ok. Basically its up to the pilot. He has a GPS in the plane but it has been certified by the FAA that it will not cause issues with the rest of his Nav and Comm equipment.

Truth be told your GPS shouldnt cause any issues whatsoever with the planes equipment becuase the electronics are all shielded. But ultimately its up to the airline and the pilot is the final word.

Edited by ckwhitman

...Truth be told your GPS shouldnt cause any issues whatsoever with the planes equipment becuase the electronics are all shielded. But ultimately its up to the airline and the pilot is the final word.

It shouldn't. If everything is operating properly it won't. The concern is the 1 in 10,000,000 chance that something may happen.

...the aircraft avionics have a malfunction at the exact same moment your GPS malfunctions and has a power surge all during a critical moment during instrument approach...

I fly for business and have always made it a courtesy to ask the pilot if I may operate a GPS. Each time the answer has been no.

I have never been stopped from carrying the item on board with me but if the pilot says no, I leave it in my bag.

I take nearly the opposite approach. If GPSrs are in the airline's published 'do not use' list, I leave mine in the carryon. If it is not, I freely use it. No one has ever questioned me about it or asked me to turn it off.

Edited by sbell111

(5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communicate system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.

So....long story short if the pilot determines it will not cause interference its ok. Basically its up to the pilot. He has a GPS in the plane but it has been certified by the FAA that it will not cause issues with the rest of his Nav and Comm equipment.

By "operator of the aircraft" the FAA is referring to the company, not the pilot. The company makes the rules, the pilots/flight attendants just try to enforce them.

Truth be told your GPS shouldnt cause any issues whatsoever with the planes equipment becuase the electronics are all shielded.

Not necessarily. The electronics are shielded from the skin of the aircraft where static charges and lightning strikes can happen. Aircraft are not specifically designed to shield electronics from significant "alien" EMF or other interference caused by some types of equipment operated by passengers. I've heard clicks and sweeps on an aircraft radio caused by a cell phone searching for a cell tower. It's that searching that has the highest chance of interference in my experience.

My guess would be that airlines if they approve of their operation have determined that passengers operating a GPS aren't in a position near antenna's, wiring or actual equipment to affect their specific aircraft models.

But ultimately its up to the airline and the pilot is the final word.

Correct. The pilots are the final word and may, if they see fit, ask that a GPS not be used no matter what the airline policy happens to be.

...Truth be told your GPS shouldnt cause any issues whatsoever with the planes equipment becuase the electronics are all shielded. But ultimately its up to the airline and the pilot is the final word.

It shouldn't. If everything is operating properly it won't. The concern is the 1 in 10,000,000 chance that something may happen.

...the aircraft avionics have a malfunction at the exact same moment your GPS malfunctions and has a power surge all during a critical moment during instrument approach...

You won't have it powered on during an approach because the crew will make an announcement that all electronic devices must be turned off.

It’s standard procedure to have passengers turn off their electronic devices during critical phases of flight, which are takeoff, approach/landing, and during air refueling.

I recently had my GPS on an Alaska Airlines flight to Phoenix. Wasn't sure if it was approved, but I just had to try it anyway. The flight went soooo much faster being able to track the progress. Seeing my speed at over 400 miles an hour, and 40000 feet in altitude was just too cool. So, wrong or right, it's fun.

I work for Southwest and I can confirm that they are an approved item. Very cool to watch how fast you are going and what is below. Difficult getting good reception anywhere but the window, though. If you have questions about another carrier you they should have a list of approved electronic devices in their inflight magazine, usually near the back. If you want to know before you go go online and lookup the "contract of carriage" for that specific airline. They have to tell you what is permissible on their planes. That's also useful if you do weird things like trying to take your monkey on vacation. Just for the record, monkeys are a no go on SWA. Leave them at home please. Unless they are a seeing eye monkey. Yes, I have an interesting job.

... That's also useful if you do weird things like trying to take your monkey on vacation. Just for the record, monkeys are a no go on SWA. Leave them at home please. Unless they are a seeing eye monkey. Yes, I have an interesting job.

That reminds me of the old joke:

A woman gets on a bus airplane with her baby and GPSr. The bus driver pilot says: "That's the ugliest baby that I've ever seen."

The woman goes to the rear of the bus airplane and sits down. She says to a man next to her: "The driver pilot just insulted me!"

The man says: "You go right up there and tell him off, I'll hold your monkey for you."

(edited to make post on-topic)

Edited by sbell111

Just wondering , do airports/airplanes allow gpsrs in flight ? any stories from security check or in flight ? :D

I am a pvt pilot and geocacher. I use the garmin gpsmap 196 great for flying not real good at geocaching. I did try to get my gps out and moniter a flight once. I do not beleive they will stop them at the gate. I got on pretty easy and did not go to any extry measures to smuggle it aboard. I did get it out and the stewardess did politley tell me to put it up or she would keep it for herself.

... That's also useful if you do weird things like trying to take your monkey on vacation. Just for the record, monkeys are a no go on SWA. Leave them at home please. Unless they are a seeing eye monkey. Yes, I have an interesting job.

That reminds me of the old joke:

A woman gets on a bus airplane with her baby and GPSr. The bus driver pilot says: "That's the ugliest baby that I've ever seen."

The woman goes to the rear of the bus airplane and sits down. She says to a man next to her: "The driver pilot just insulted me!"

The man says: "You go right up there and tell him off, I'll hold your monkey for you."

(edited to make post on-topic)

:lol: thats funny :P