northern new york

flask

T%20Spelling-Bee.jpg

Can I get the definition please:

adj. brash·er, brash·est

a. Hasty and unthinking; impetuous.

b. Rash.

Can you use it in a sentence please:

brasher --- as in "he was a impetuous young fellow, far brasher then his collegues and more likely to take a falls.

Alternate pronounceation: brass-sheer

A mass or pile of rubble, refuse, or fragments, as of stone, brush, or ice

[Perhaps an alteration of French brèche, breach in a wall, from Italian breccia; see breccia.]

Up north, it is pronounced MAD-rid - when I first pronounced it like the city in Spain, I was quickly corrected. For Brasher Falls, the closest think I can think of to describe the pronunciation would be the old "Brazier" signs that used be at Dairy Queen. I never forget anything food-related!

My buddy at work, "The Justinator", is from there...he pronounces it "bray-zer" falls...I was quite stunned when I found out it's actually spelled "brasher"...he's from so far up North he talks with a Southern accent! We bust on him about it, saying he needs a Canadian passport to come to work, or that if you go too far North you just end up back down South ag'in :surprise: !

:) - this topic brought lots of chuckles to me. I grew up in Massena - actually Louisville (pronounced LOUIS-ville, not LOUIE-ville like they say it in KY) -. BRAY-SURE is the correct way for Brasher Falls. And as someone said earlier, think it was HD, the accent is usually on the other syllable of the European name -as in MAD-rid. However, Lisbon, NY is pronounced the same as Lisbon, Portugal. Go figure. Edited by smrich

I listened to enough Albany radio in my youth (WABY) to remember that as SCAN-eee-AT-uh-lees.

I like the names Valatie and Irondequoit.

I grew up in Irondequoit....do you know that there are 22 CORRECT spellings of "Irondequoit" listed in the early records?

An' it means something like: "that really flat spot where we all kept getting malaria close by the big lake"

:laughing:

skah-NECK-tahdee How's that? Now if we can get people to pronounce BING-ham-ton right. Hardly anyone spells it right either. :drama:

Funny I was just throw their a couple weeks ago - every one in the general vicinity of upstate knows how to say it with out thinking just like we call Charlotte sha-lot instead of Char-lett then we have Chili "Chi-Lie" heck I live in rottenchester :blink:

I listened to enough Albany radio in my youth (WABY) to remember that as SCAN-eee-AT-uh-lees.

I grew up in Irondequoit....do you know that there are 22 CORRECT spellings of "Irondequoit" listed in the early records?

An' it means something like: "that really flat spot where we all kept getting malaria close by the big lake"

:angry:

I know the correct way to say Irondequoit, but I have no idea how to relay that information phonetically. I mean it's just Irondequoit. :laughing: What do you mean "flat", the Drumlins in Durand Eastman Park will take anyone to the brink of cardiac arrest. :D

:D

I know the correct way to say Irondequoit, but I have no idea how to relay that information phonetically. I mean it's just Irondequoit. :D What do you mean "flat", the Drumlins in Durand Eastman Park will take anyone to the brink of cardiac arrest. :D

LOL that hill aint that bad try going to Hiland park :laughing: - but then again that hill on circle street drives me nuts when I'm on a bike. I hope the snow melts soon so I can find that bench mark.

I live in I-quoit. I know of one alternate spelling, but not 22!

phonetically..

ih-RON-de-koyt

Edited by Staghorn

I live in Canandaigua.

It's funny when someone from a company calls me on the phone and tries to pronounce it. Or, I say it and they can't spell it.

cann-ann-DAY-gwuh

It's from the Seneca language, meaning "The Chosen Place". It's the name of one of the Finger Lakes and the name of the city and township at the north end of the lake.