San Diego area must-do's and power trails?

The Bolas Heathens

We will be in the San Diego area next February from the UK and were looking for any must-do caches and power trail type series in the area as we'd like to do some good caches and also boost our numbers as much as we can.

Thanks in advance.

Getting to know you -

A. How long will you be here?

B. How much of that time will you devote to Geocaching?

C. How do you feel about caching in a group?

D. How much hiking can you stand and how tough is Isaac?

E. What sort of rental vehicle will you have? (4WD?)

Maybe use our "San Diego Cache Events" thread for more response.

Edited by SD Rowdies

A. 6-19 Feb

B. As much time as Mrs BH will let us - hopefully 3-4 solid days, maybe a bit more

C. Sounds good to me - it's always fun caching with others

D. Isaac's stamina is amazine - we quite often do 8 miles in a day when out caching.

E. Don't know yet but we usually go for something like a Durango.

Gettting to know you -

A. How long will you be here?

B. How much of that time will you devote to Geocaching?

C. How do you feel about caching in a group?

D. How much hiking can you stand and how tough is Isaac?

E. What sort of rental vehicle will you have? (4WD?)

Maybe use our "San Diego Cache Events" thread for more response.

A. 6-19 Feb

B. As much time as Mrs BH will let us - hopefully 3-4 solid days, maybe a bit more

C. Sounds good to me - it's always fun caching with others

D. Isaac's stamina is amazine - we quite often do 8 miles in a day when out caching.

E. Don't know yet but we usually go for something like a Durango.

Mission Trails Regional Park (MTRP) was the site of a cache war last spring and it has become filled to capacity with caches. There are trails for every level of hiker and in a 6-8 mile loop, one can find quite a large number of caches.

You can run a PocketQuery centered on South Fortuna (GCKRF5) to see what's there.

If you want to know more about Mission Trails Regional Park, you can go to www.mtrp.org. There is a map of the trail system at MTRP map.

Hope that helps...

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Thanks - I'd heard about MTRP on the Podcacher podcast and just taken a look on Google Earth - wow - that's one heck of a lot of caches in such a small area.

Mission Trails Regional Park (MTRP) was the site of a cache war last spring and it has become filled to capacity with caches. There are trails for every level of hiker and in a 6-8 mile loop, one can find quite a large number of caches.

Sorry for all the questions but...

What's the weather likely to be like in February i.e. will it be comfortable for hiking as the more I look at the MTRP area the more I like it.

Is there a source of reasonable maps I can load to my PDA for navigating round the area so we don't get lost whilst out hiking? What do locals use? I know in Florida in August we did not use any mapping as it was too hot for hiking so it was all park and grabs but we're hoping to get out and appreciate the countyside a bit on our next trip.

Heathens are always welcomed in San Diego :P .

This year-round weather report is pretty accurate.

This statement is funny but accurate, "This is the rainy season. Monthly rainfall often comes all on the same day, especially during winter storms. Californians feel very cold on days when people from other parts of the country [and world] think it's warm. Please don't laugh at us, we can't help it! The day after it rains, the skies are sometimes exceptionally clear and a photographer's delight! [and very muddy!]"

Yep, Mission Trails offers it all: hiking, scenery, micros, ammo boxes, mtn lions :P .

MTRP is not confined to the Fortunas or Kumeyaay Peak, it includes Lake Murray, Pyles Peak, and Cowles Mtn. You will have a blast. And if you have time to venture outside suburbia, I highly recommend the Sandy Creek Cowboy caches, #1 (GCE85D) thru #16 (GCPACT).

lol - just to clarify, we live in an area of the UK called Bolas Heath (check out GCXN71 if you want to know where as it's in woods at the top of our yard) so thought the username would be a bit of fun. We're not particularly religious but not particularly non-religious :P

Sandy Creek Cowboy caches look great - thanks.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

lol - just to clarify, we live in an area of the UK called Bolas Heath (check out GCXN71 if you want to know where as it's in woods at the top of our yard) so thought the username would be a bit of fun. We're not particularly religious but not particularly non-religious :P

Sandy Creek Cowboy caches look great - thanks.

Chuy, thanks for your support.

Yes, y'all will find that the Sandy Creek Cowboy caches are unusual but not hard to find. You'll need a tall ladder for one of the cowboy caches, bring the ladder with you from U.K. Also tune up your sense of humor.

By the way, cowboys are fine with heathens since we work a lot with horses and cattle. You're probably smarter than most horses so don't worry about it.

Harmon

SD Rowdies &

Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies

What's the weather likely to be like in February i.e. will it be comfortable for hiking as the more I look at the MTRP area the more I like it.

Is there a source of reasonable maps I can load to my PDA for navigating round the area so we don't get lost whilst out hiking? What do locals use? I know in Florida in August we did not use any mapping as it was too hot for hiking so it was all park and grabs but we're hoping to get out and appreciate the countyside a bit on our next trip.

Here's my log for Kumeyaay Solstice Sunrise from February 2004.

It even has a weather report!

As for map, I'm not sure. All the trails in MTRP are well marked, you can't get lost. You might be able to get a trail map from the visitors center.

If you want some company, let me know, there's actually still caches I need in MTRP. I'll watch out for rattlers for ya (although they'll probably be sleeping). :unsure:

D!

Here's my log for Kumeyaay Solstice Sunrise from February 2004.<a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>

It even has a weather report!

As for map, I'm not sure. All the trails in MTRP are well marked, you can't get lost. You might be able to get a trail map from the visitors center.

If you want some company, let me know, there's actually still caches I need in MTRP. I'll watch out for rattlers for ya (although they'll probably be sleeping). :unsure:

D!

Here's a link To Mission Trails Regional Park. You'll find information about the park and a trail map on the site. We can help you get the most out of the MTRP Geocaching as your arrival date approaches. There must be something like three hundred caches in the park, not sure how many really. A couple of goofy old geezers started a cache war in the park this year and the rest is history.

MTRP Home Page

Edited by SD Rowdies

We're going to be there in a few weeks time so I'm starting to think of some serious planning for our caching.

We'll be staying in the Mission Beach area for most of the vacation and our aim is to get as many finds as possible in the minimum of time (Mrs BH is not a cacher so we can't go caching all the time).

I'd love some suggestions on what to look at to get as many finds as possible in a day. I'd envisage 3-4 days out doing nothing but caching and then grabbing caches as we pass by doing vacation type things on the other days.

Thanks in advance :laughing:.

We're going to be there in a few weeks time so I'm starting to think of some serious planning for our caching.

We'll be staying in the Mission Beach area for most of the vacation and our aim is to get as many finds as possible in the minimum of time (Mrs BH is not a cacher so we can't go caching all the time).

I'd love some suggestions on what to look at to get as many finds as possible in a day. I'd envisage 3-4 days out doing nothing but caching and then grabbing caches as we pass by doing vacation type things on the other days.

Thanks in advance :laughing: .

If you're not hiking at MTRP or Sweetwater Reservoir, I'd suggest starting at Mt Soledad (GCM4X2), then hit UCSD (GCXZDK), then head north up the coast to Oceanside (GCVK78). You could hit quite a few caches and it's a great drive with lots of ocean views. Have fun!

D!

Thanks Duncan! I've been looking at some of your puzzle caches today as some are near where we are staying :laughing:.

I've not heard of Sweetwater Reservior - do you have a GC code of a nearby cache so I can take a look please?

MTRP is definitely on the list for the trip too - looks my kind of thing but am a little cautious about a lot of steep terrain as our 8 year old is not a fan of too much uphill. It's hard to get a good feel for the terrain without actually being there so maybe I'm worrying unduly?

Thanks Duncan! I've been looking at some of your puzzle caches today as some are near where we are staying :laughing:.

I've not heard of Sweetwater Reservior - do you have a GC code of a nearby cache so I can take a look please?

MTRP is definitely on the list for the trip too - looks my kind of thing but am a little cautious about a lot of steep terrain as our 8 year old is not a fan of too much uphill. It's hard to get a good feel for the terrain without actually being there so maybe I'm worrying unduly?

Sweetwater Res. definetly has a bunch of caches but I think it has even more hills.

Thanks Duncan! I've been looking at some of your puzzle caches today as some are near where we are staying :laughing: .

One of the originals at Sweetwater: GC7203

There's lots of potential for steep hikes at both MTRP and Sweetwater.

If you can, install google earth, it will give you at least an idea of the ups and downs.

Cya,

D!

With an 8yr old, I say Sweetwater is out, unless you will be pushing a stroller or carrying her on you shoulders. There also lots of off-trail caches that may put your family in peril - snakes and ticks, etc...

MTRP has strict guidelines of no off-trail hiking. Then again, mountain lion tracks have only been sighted at MTRP :) .

I mentioned before that MTRP is huge - there are three separate areas - Lake Murray, Cowles Mountain/Pyle Peak, and Kumeyaay Peak/Fortuna mountain. Lake Murray is, by far, the most family oriented. For a more adverturous route, you can skirt around Fortuna mountain by parking at the end of Clairemont Mesa Blvd and hiking the lower trails around the mountain, but it will be a long haul.

With kiddies, I think Duncan's beach route will be the most fun for all the family. Oh, the caches around the Border State Park (U.S. and Mexico) may be interesting for the family - does daddy climb trees :) ?

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I've been using Google Earth to zoom round the area looking at caches but had not thought to tilt it to get an idea of terrain - duh!

The coastal route looks good as do the border area ones. I love climbing trees so they sound good fun :).

I now need to look into a few for Venice Beach and Temecular areas too ... so many to choose from :)

Thanks - just had a quick look and it looks great for numbers.

Are there any areas of town I should avoid as I obviously don't know that area and don't want to wander into the wrong kind of neighborhood (especially as I'll have our 8 year old with me)?

Also check out the areas around Disneyland and Knotts Berry farm

if your looking for a numbers cache run look at Twopoms caches he set out a large amount and there are many others in the area

Thanks - just had a quick look and it looks great for numbers.

Are there any areas of town I should avoid as I obviously don't know that area and don't want to wander into the wrong kind of neighborhood (especially as I'll have our 8 year old with me)?

Also check out the areas around Disneyland and Knotts Berry farm

if your looking for a numbers cache run look at Twopoms caches he set out a large amount and there are many others in the area

The whole area is pretty good although the Stanton area is predominately Hispanic and some people will feel uncomfortable.

If you look at any of Twopoms caches I think you'll find a bookmark in the upper right hand corner just click on it and then download the listings. We went through there on Dec.31 with a group oF cachers, we started about 8

am and I left the group around 1 pm and found over 50 caches some stayed until after dark and found over 100, just remember its a lot easier in a group then it is alone, in fact I went back last Sunday and found another 35.

Also we hope to meet you at the Temecula event. Have fun and enjoy your selfs

Thanks for the tip. As long as the area is safe that's ok with us.

Thanks for the tip about the numbers - that's the kind of thing we're after as we're having to travel 1.5 hours at home to find anywhere with any amount of caches we've not done so our US trips help with the numbers...not that it's all about the numbers - or is it :).

Can we expect the hides to be easy(ish) - it's always a bit different going to a new area as the hide styles are different. We were in Florida last August and the hides used a lot of magnetic hide a key's, really sneaky camo and similar, which we don't tend to see in the UK. All part of the fun but it pays to be armed with the facts when on a numbers run.

The whole area is pretty good although the Stanton area is predominately Hispanic and some people will feel uncomfortable.

Thanks for the tip. As long as the area is safe that's ok with us.

Thanks for the tip about the numbers - that's the kind of thing we're after as we're having to travel 1.5 hours at home to find anywhere with any amount of caches we've not done so our US trips help with the numbers...not that it's all about the numbers - or is it :laughing:.

Can we expect the hides to be easy(ish) - it's always a bit different going to a new area as the hide styles are different. We were in Florida last August and the hides used a lot of magnetic hide a key's, really sneaky camo and similar, which we don't tend to see in the UK. All part of the fun but it pays to be armed with the facts when on a numbers run.

Sent you an email :)

What about the downtown San Diego caches - looks to be quite a concentration of them. Are they worth considering or would we be better spending time more out of town?

We don't have any great preferences urban / non-urban caching wise but wondered if the downtown caches are in safe areas?

Most of the downtown hides are relatively easy micros that take you to somewhat interesting locations, but not necessarily anything different than most every other tourist goes to anyway. Starting at the Star of India and walking along the waterfront down to the Convention Center and back would be a nice 1-2 hour walk with maybe as many as 15-20 caches. And, yes, they are very safe. I can't think of anything in the downtown area that I would consider unsafe.

The Balboa Park area has a high concentration of caches as well, and is a beautiful area to visit. If I were to choose between the two, I would definitely choose Balboa Park over downtown.

Then there's Point Loma and Ocean Beach which offer many caches with breathtaking views of the city and ocean. I seem to get mostly out-of-towners visiting my Lucinda and Grandparent's Cache. Must be because they are close to the airport. (If you do Lucinda, can you take a new micro log for me? Altoids tin size. It's full and I've been meaning to get out there!) Taking a caching drive from Point Loma to the beaches (Ocean Beach, Mission Beach and Pacific Beach) and into La Jolla/Torrey Pines and beyond (Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas, Carlsbad, Oceanside) would be a great day with plenty of caches to find. If I get energetic, I think I might create a "Drive the Coast" bookmark list. I'll post it here if I do...

If you want some exercise, then stick with any of the many mountain areas we have -- MTRP, Iron Mountain, Black Mountain, Mt. Woodson, Sweetwater Reservoir/Mt Miguel, McGinty, Otay Mountain. Just about any of these will provide at least an entire day (or more) of good hiking with plenty of elevation and plenty of caches to find.

You could also spend at least an entire day doing nothing but puzzle caches in the "Puzzle Valley" area of San Diego. Better start solving them now, though! There's a hundred or more just in this one area. Here's a link to a cool traditional cache that is pretty much at the entrance to Puzzle Valley: RSD YMCA.

Hope this helps! You'll find the cachers out here very friendly and helpful. Make sure you take advantage of the San Diego Cache Events forum to hook up with the locals when you are here. If you invite other to join you on any of your hunts, you will undoubtedly get some takers and will get some personal guides to caching in San Diego.

See ya when ya get here!

Edited by FlagMan

Wow - thanks FlagMan - that's really useful info. We plan to be in Balboa Park area as the kids like the look of the Grossology thing in one of the museums there so it's a good excuse to do the caches whilst we are there :lol:

I've done a PQ along the coast northwards on the excellent advice of D! above - lots of possibilities there.

So much to think about - we're spoilt for choice :)

Wow - thanks FlagMan - that's really useful info. We plan to be in Balboa Park area as the kids like the look of the Grossology thing in one of the museums there so it's a good excuse to do the caches whilst we are there :)

I've done a PQ along the coast northwards on the excellent advice of D! above - lots of possibilities there.

So much to think about - we're spoilt for choice :)

Have you arrived here to Southern California yet ? This weekend Myself and Boomer and his Cache Bandits are headed to MTRP take a look at his posting on lets all tackle that cache together from the San Diego threads i Believe we are headed out on Sunday post to that thread if interested. Crzy Welder

We have indeed - just arrived in San Diego this evening after staying a few days in Anaheim. I'm just off to read about it on the other thread ...

Have you arrived here to Southern California yet ? This weekend Myself and Boomer and his Cache Bandits are headed to MTRP take a look at his posting on lets all tackle that cache together from the San Diego threads i Believe we are headed out on Sunday post to that thread if interested. Crzy Welder

We have indeed - just arrived in San Diego this evening after staying a few days in Anaheim. I'm just off to read about it on the other thread ...

Just added an update to the San Diego Events page if your interested. Have a good vacation. :anitongue:<_<

Looks like we're going to have to pass on this one this time as the kids are wanting to go to Sea World tomorrow <_<.

If anyone is around later in the week we'd love to have a local guide to go caching with ;).

Just added an update to the San Diego Events page if your interested. Have a good vacation. :P:huh:

It was nice meeting you guys at the coin event in Temecula on Saturday. I hope you had a good time in California despite the rains and all. Cheers :( .

I seem to have missed you there. I will be at the SD Convention Center Feb 26-30, perhaps we will cross paths if I can get out caching in the evenings.

Feb 30th? <_<

Of course. Don't tell me that you are still using the gregorian Calendar?

Perhaps I will do this trip in March instead.