*NEW* Toilet Paper Geocoin

general_tupperware

I was racking my mind for geocoin ideas (I had a few ideas, but wanted some experience before I went into anything too fancy), and I think that I was brushing my teeth when I had an idea :shocked: . Okay, so I was looking at the toilet paper roll, and didn't have any better ideas for a geocoin. Yes, I KNOW it's weird. Got to the computer, and drew this in a few minutes:

fd9db405-700b-4a3b-b924-4702d934256b.jpg

The writing says "Always bring a roll caching..." on the front, and "...you never know when you'll need it!" on the back.

Just wondering if any cachers would be interested in such an odd coin idea, or wondering if everyone will just laugh and point :( . OakCoins' estimate calculator put them around $4-5 depending on whether it had an icon. Just putting this up to see whether people are interested.

--GT--

Use it as your signature item and don't ask for anyones opinion. Be proud of your work.

Just an update... We are still hoping to do this coin... Just need to get the funding together and find a good mint to do the coin. Hope there will be some interest.

A lot of people will enjoy this idea for the humor of it; I do! How much interest there'll be in buying them will depend, as it often does, on the price. But I can guarantee you that, if you issue them in copper (at least), I'm a lot more interested than I would be for anything else. And I'm not alone in this.

Thats why I asked general TP if I could pick it up and produce it. We'll try to stay around the average range for the price of the coin as it will be trackable, if possible. We just sent out for quotes on the coin today and hopefully we will hear some great news on the pricing shortly!

Edited by slumbersix
We'll try to stay around the average range for the price of the coin as it will be trackable, if possible.
What does "average range" mean? How about just trying to sell it for as cheap as humanly possible. :shocked:

--Marky

I cannot say for sure yet what the price will be as we have just sent out to companies asking for quotes on pricing.

Once we hear back from the companies we contacted we will have a better grasp on the price for these coins.

I think its a pretty good idea for a coin! Not sure why some people don't?! I usually cache with boys, who just don't understand that I can't hike as far w/out going as they can...and when I do...well its more complicated!!! On a caching trip I actually found a roll of TP in a ZipLock bag in a cache. What a great idea, no more hoarding of napkins at our various coffee stops! Now the TP in a Ziplock is a standard in my caching bag...

I thought this was a pretty dumb idea at first...but then it occurred to me that i would LOVE to circulate a few of those (and isn't that what coins are really all about?). If price is reasonable, I'd be in for a couple.

Yeah you could drop the toilet paper and crappy cache coins together! :shocked:

You Could call it MOUNTAIN MONEY!!! ;):blink:;)

Cause that stuff is as good as gold in the hills!!!!! Couldnt believe it when I saw this!!! I would probably even buy one...Just because, everyone would be like "Where the heck did you get that thing" ........Whats next- The Tampon coin????? :D:yikes::lol:

....You could call it the "when nature calls series"!!! :D:unsure::blink:

I think its a pretty good idea for a coin! Not sure why some people don't?! I usually cache with boys, who just don't understand that I can't hike as far w/out going as they can...and when I do...well its more complicated!!! On a caching trip I actually found a roll of TP in a ZipLock bag in a cache. What a great idea, no more hoarding of napkins at our various coffee stops! Now the TP in a Ziplock is a standard in my caching bag...

Sure beats using leaves, also :unsure::blink:

Sure beats using leaves, also :laughing::laughing:

Defintely! :laughing: The poster who uses leaves MUST be male!

Just heard back from one of the coin mints. They asked their contact at Groundspeak whether or not the coin would be approved and they said the design wouldn't meet with Groundspeak approval. Might try to rework the coin a bit or let it go... Glad they got back with the coin designer, kinda frustrated that they didn't get back with me when I sent an email out to brian at Groundspeak.

Just heard back from one of the coin mints. They asked their contact at Groundspeak whether or not the coin would be approved and they said the design wouldn't meet with Groundspeak approval. Might try to rework the coin a bit or let it go... Glad they got back with the coin designer, kinda frustrated that they didn't get back with me when I sent an email out to brian at Groundspeak.

Why would they not approve it? It is all in fun and more related to cacheing than alot of other designs. I'm in if they do get made <_<

Sure beats using leaves, also :laughing::grin:

ROFLOL! Especially if you don't know what Poison Ivy looks like! This is a staple in my cache gear. I'd be in for a couple.

Happy Trails!

I guess my request for a "BS" prefix on the black sheep coins wouldn't have flown, either! LOL

Maybe Bryan is touchy about how his name is spelled?

Maybe the concept of ppl wiping their butts with the logo was what was unacceptable! LOL Maybe just put the logo on the "solid" side and leave the squares blank ... or write a cache log on them??

I hope they reconsider!

Candy

That's strange, as this is not really an inappropriate coin. It goes in the bag along with the swiss army knife [coin], the GPS [coin], map [coin], the Yemon Yime coin (for good luck), etc.

If they approved a coin of a potential weapon, I don't know why they wouldn't approve a coin of toilet paper... Is it potty talk? I would suggest that you ask your mint to contact Bryan, and ask what aspect of the coin they object to. If it's the wording, fine. The logo, fine. The whole coin.... I don't get it, but fine.

That's strange, as this is not really an inappropriate coin. It goes in the bag along with the swiss army knife [coin], the GPS [coin], map [coin], the Yemon Yime coin (for good luck), etc.

If they approved a coin of a potential weapon, I don't know why they wouldn't approve a coin of toilet paper... Is it potty talk? I would suggest that you ask your mint to contact Bryan, and ask what aspect of the coin they object to. If it's the wording, fine. The logo, fine. The whole coin.... I don't get it, but fine.

Apparently it's the placement of the logo as this is what was written -

They said "I really don't like the location of the geocaching.com logo. I

am sure you understand why".

-

Though really, I see no problem with the placement of the logo as I know of plenty of companies that have branded toilet paper rolls as a form of advertisement.

Regardless of placement, you'd think they would be appreciative of the advertisement... Its free for them, not for us.