How does selling on ebay works?

Hi there everyone, I would like to ask you questions regarding selling items on ebay. I have several things I would like to sell online but do not know how things operate. I have an account 4 years now, and I have only purchased 1 item recently so I got only 1 positive feedback. But my question concerns how do ebay charge us for having items sell online?

How do they charge us? by a percentage of our total price?

And if we put items for sell, and if it doesnt sell, do we have service charge?

And regarding paypal, if I want people to pay me through paypal, how does the money come to me? How do I cash the money??? I am confused as how it works and I do not have time to read through those FAQ from paypal or ebay.

Tell me how it works please.

How much do they charge us? Do they charge us commision? is it percentage? or my certain rates depend on our list price?

Thanks for all your help!

Hi there everyone, I would like to ask you questions regarding selling items on ebay. I have several things I would like to sell online but do not know how things operate. I have an account 4 years now, and I have only purchased 1 item recently so I got only 1 positive feedback. But my question concerns how do ebay charge us for having items sell online?

And regarding paypal, if I want people to pay me through paypal, how does the money come to me? How do I cash the money??? I am confused as how it works and I do not have time to read through those FAQ from paypal or ebay.

How much do they charge us? Do they charge us commision? is it percentage? or my certain rates depend on our list price?

It seems to me that this question should be directed at Ebay not Geocaching.

I believe there is a frequently asked question section on Ebay.

It seems to me that this question should be directed at Ebay not Geocaching.

I believe there is a frequently asked question section on Ebay.

I don't have the time to read through all the FAQ for ebay and paypal...I wanted to know if someone have experience in selling on ebay would help me out and glad to do it...of course I know this is a forum for geocaching...but we can ask any questions we want.

Thanks for all who help me out! I still can't find time to read the FAQ...jsut too much and don't know what I should read

... How do they charge us? by a percentage of our total price?
They charge an insertion fee that it based on your starting price and a final value fee based on the selling price. See here for specifics.
You'll pay the insertion fee, but not the final value fee. See above referenced page.
And regarding paypal, if I want people to pay me through paypal, how does the money come to me? How do I cash the money???
You just transfer the money to your bank account. It takes a few days, but there isn't a charge.

But my question concerns how do ebay charge us for having items sell online?

This repeats a lot of sbell said but,

You get charged a fee for just listing something there (insertation), and a percent of whatever the final sale price was. The fee is based on the starting price of the item, and what the listing is like. Listings with more pictures, bigger pictures, cost more. Bolded titles, and themed pages also cost more than plain listings for example.

yes, you still have to play the fee to list it there

And regarding paypal, if I want people to pay me through paypal, how does the money come to me?

It goes to your paypal account and is held there. You can can paypal transfer it to your bank account, you can have paypal send you check in the mail (theres a few and it takes time), or you can leave the money on paypal and is use when YOU use paypal to pay someone else.

How do I cash the money??? I am confused as how it works and I do not have time to read through those FAQ from paypal or ebay.

Not to offend you, but if you don't have time to check with ebay and paypal about some of this stuff maybe you shouldn't sell things there. If something happens that you didn't expect, will you have time to figure out the problem? will this upset you? (ex. having the money delayed because you can't get it out of paypal, or getting a non paying bidder)

Also, what does this have to do with geocaching? :unsure:

Paypal fees are based on the type of account you have with them, but generally I think most people are charge both a small fee for money sent to you, and a small percentage of the money thats sent to you. The amounts vary based on the account you have.

... How do they charge us? by a percentage of our total price?
They charge an insertion fee that it based on your starting price and a final value fee based on the selling price. See here for specifics.
You'll pay the insertion fee, but not the final value fee. See above referenced page.
And regarding paypal, if I want people to pay me through paypal, how does the money come to me? How do I cash the money???
You just transfer the money to your bank account. It takes a few days, but there isn't a charge.

Thank you for that link... I couldn't find the fee page, I just am not good at searching for it online...now I will read more on it.

and thanks for everyone who help me out! I am asking all these questions because I have items to sell on ebay and they are related to GPS

But my question concerns how do ebay charge us for having items sell online?

This repeats a lot of sbell said but,

You get charged a fee for just listing something there (insertation), and a percent of whatever the final sale price was. The fee is based on the starting price of the item, and what the listing is like. Listings with more pictures, bigger pictures, cost more. Bolded titles, and themed pages also cost more than plain listings for example.

yes, you still have to play the fee to list it there

And regarding paypal, if I want people to pay me through paypal, how does the money come to me?

It goes to your paypal account and is held there. You can can paypal transfer it to your bank account, you can have paypal send you check in the mail (theres a few and it takes time), or you can leave the money on paypal and is use when YOU use paypal to pay someone else.

How do I cash the money??? I am confused as how it works and I do not have time to read through those FAQ from paypal or ebay.

Not to offend you, but if you don't have time to check with ebay and paypal about some of this stuff maybe you shouldn't sell things there. If something happens that you didn't expect, will you have time to figure out the problem? will this upset you? (ex. having the money delayed because you can't get it out of paypal, or getting a non paying bidder)

Also, what does this have to do with geocaching? :unsure:

Paypal fees are based on the type of account you have with them, but generally I think most people are charge both a small fee for money sent to you, and a small percentage of the money thats sent to you. The amounts vary based on the account you have.

Thank a bunch Welch! really appreciate your time and contribution and to everyone who help me out in whatever way you can! ;)

Reading their whole FAQ section would be faster than us trying to answer all your questions. If you can post here and wait for a reply you have the time it takes to read their FAQ section.

I found all the answers I need within this forum, I only need people to guide me to certain questions I have and thats all I need.