paperless caching: Palm Pilot vs. Pocket PC

Co-Stars

I'm a newbie to all of this paperless stuff, Palm and Pocket (don't even know what they are), and what software works on what.

1) What is the difference between a Palm Pilot and a Pocket PC and what advantages/disadvantages does one have over the other?

2) What caching software works best only on a Palm Pilot, what works best only on a Pocket PC, and what works just as effectively on both?

3) Will cachemate work on a Pocket PC or just on a Palm Pilot?

4) Will BeelineGPS work on a Palm Pilot or just on a Pocket PC?

An inexpensive Palm is much cheaper than an inexpensive PPC. This will be important if you ever dunk it or drop it.

As sbell stated - you can get a perfectly usable (for caching) Palm III or V series on ebay for under $20.00. If you need a PDA then the choice is yours, each has its own benefits. I have no problem handing my daughter the Palm Vx as she crosses a stream but I wouldn't do the same with my Tungsten E2.

Of course the ultimate paperless caching is to get the Palm Treo (like I do) or a Windows CE phone that has wireless internet service. You can search GC.com and get the pages live as long as there is a cell signal, or you can save the page to view while off-line....

Best of all, no need for a premium membership for that !

Of course the ultimate paperless caching is to get the Palm Treo (like I do) or a Windows CE phone that has wireless internet service. You can search GC.com and get the pages live as long as there is a cell signal, or you can save the page to view while off-line....

The only risk is to get out to your cache site, try to get the page up and get the dreaded 'Server Too Busy' message....

Of course, with the extra charges you'll incur for service, I can buy PMs for myself, my family, and everyone who posted in this thread.

Ummmm, this post should not be construed as an offer. :P

Of course, with the extra charges you'll incur for service, I can buy PMs for myself, my family, and everyone who posted in this thread.

Ummmm, this post should not be construed as an offer. :(

That is the beauty of an unlimited data plan :P

That's what I was referring to.

which comes FREE with my monthly phone plan...

I used to use a Palm III and cachemate. Black and white screen is more readable in sunlight than color. Uses standard AAA batteries instead of custom non replacable rechargables that go bad, and it was cheap. $8 on Ebay for the Palm III, another $8 I believe for cachemate.

A few weeks ago I fell and slipped with it in my back pocket. Busted the touch screen, but no big deal, as it only cost me $8.

It's been replaced with a Palm III xe, also off Ebay. Same as the old one, but a newer version of the OS, and 4 times the memory. I downloaded a bunch of games for it and it still has room for a few 1000 cache listings.

My brother on the other hand has a PPC running Linux, mainly used as an expensive MP3 player. But whenever we get out of the car to look for a cache, he locks it in the glove box. Too expensive to chance losing or breaking it.

There may be cheaper PPCs, there are more expensive Palms, but for caching, go with something inexpensive that can run Cachemate. Then get GSAK, and a premium gc.com membership (pocket queries!) , and you have all the tools you need.

Marcel

I read a thread where someone said you can buy a palm IIIxe for 20 bucks off ebay, and I did.

:laughing:

it's really a fun toy for no money. I've downloaded a pile of free games for it and got the ebook of all the caches from a pocket query.

It's the greatest little tool for the money, I'm still amazed.

I like it so much, I bid on a newer color palm tonite on ebay too, but got outbid at literally the last second. :laughing: I'll be getting one for sure later, just for games and such, since the cheapo one works fine for caches (well I think so, I haven't actually been anywhere that I needed it yet.)

haven't used a pocketPC but my experience with my palm has been great.

(that sounded bad... :laughing: )

I found out my palm lllxe locks up when its cold outside and then its useless is this a palm problem or software issue. Ifd I warm it up and reset it its fine till it gets cold again.

sounds more like a battery issue. batteries don't work well when they get cold.

get new rechargables, and keep it inside your coat when you aren't using it.

I found out my palm lllxe locks up when its cold outside and then its useless is this a palm problem or software issue. Ifd I warm it up and reset it its fine till it gets cold again.

Mine Palm m500 did the same thing to me yesterday. At least it isn't a complete reset as I've had to do in the past. And I did primarily have it in my inside jacket pocket, though I had a sweatshirt and wind jacket between me an that pocket...

I used to use a Palm III and cachemate. Black and white screen is more readable in sunlight than color. Uses standard AAA batteries instead of custom non replacable rechargables that go bad, and it was cheap. $8 on Ebay for the Palm III, another $8 I believe for cachemate.

A few weeks ago I fell and slipped with it in my back pocket. Busted the touch screen, but no big deal, as it only cost me $8.

It's been replaced with a Palm III xe, also off Ebay. Same as the old one, but a newer version of the OS, and 4 times the memory. I downloaded a bunch of games for it and it still has room for a few 1000 cache listings.

My brother on the other hand has a PPC running Linux, mainly used as an expensive MP3 player. But whenever we get out of the car to look for a cache, he locks it in the glove box. Too expensive to chance losing or breaking it.

There may be cheaper PPCs, there are more expensive Palms, but for caching, go with something inexpensive that can run Cachemate. Then get GSAK, and a premium gc.com membership (pocket queries!) , and you have all the tools you need.

Marcel

Where on the palm do you put all of your cache if I may ask...Thanks

Where on the palm do you put all of your cache if I may ask...Thanks

I use a program called Plucker which allows me to have my cache pages on my PDA. I also use Cache Log Book which is a PDA database just for geocaching. It is convenient to use it to keep a record of all my geocaching.

CYBret has a great tutorial here.

The fact that there are lots of Palms around, still being sold, that are more than 10 years old speaks volumes. They work. You can get replacement parts, such as new touchscreens, but it's usually not worth it for something that only cost $20 in the first place. But if you really want to fix the one you have, it can be done. The Palm OS was designed to be easy to use and relilable, and it is.

For those wondering about using it for paperless, there are tons of threads on that on the forums, and elsewhere. Google should give you a few days' worth of reading.

i'm late getting in on this one...but i just made the splurge for xmass

plam seemed like a great option for the price, but only if it was only going to be used for caching

pocketpc seemed great for other functionality / compatibility with my microsoft based life

and sense my laptop died a few months ago...i decided to get a mini-laptop ...aka...pocketpc...

but different strokes for different folks...gl in your decision