Caches logs

How do folks feel about the short logs of TNLN TFTC?

If you took the time to set a cache then surely you should expect at least a log of a few sentences. On about on the web page not the actual log in the cache.

I do try and waffle ( that being the operative word, and I am full of wind so I have been told !!!) a bit when logging a cache. It must be a bit disheartening, especially for young cachers who are just up and comming to get.. TNLN TFTC!!! Has the art of communication been taken over totally by abreviations and acronyms.

Lets be verbose.. an waffle a lot.. better waffle drivel than nowt :laughing:

I found over 100 caches before setting my first one. Whilst I didn't simply write "TFTC" I do admit to posting a few quick words. Now that I have a Cache of my own I get quite dissapointed when I find someone has simply written 2 or 3 word logs.

Edited by Bruin47

Sometimes I just cant say anything about a cache, the mediocre ones. I can waffle, usually if it's exceptional, or terrible.

:laughing::wub: I could add it's the admins that get to me, one word replies 'Published' or a templated response, sometimes still with [edit this] tags in!! B)B);)

Edited by Edgemaster

I can waffle for England B)

It is a bit disheartening ;) though, especially when you have gone to the time and effort and expense of setting a cache to get TNLN TFTC ;)

But then again there have been a few (very few) caches where I have not honestly been able to think of anything nice to say B) and as the saying goes if you can't think of anything nice to say then don't say nothing at all. ;)

So if I ever write FOUND IT on a cache you will know why. :laughing: but I will admit myself it is not nice.

If a cache is good, say what was good, and if it was crap say why it was crap, then the owner can learn, but don't say TNLN TFTC :wub:

Enough waffle from me :D

Mandy :P

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

If you took the time to set a cache then surely you should expect at least a log of a few sentences. On about on the web page not the actual log in the cache.

I do try and waffle ( that being the operative word, and I am full of wind so I have been told !!!)

Try pepermint tea for the wind, trust me :laughing: . as for short logs i lean towards nobby.nobbs i really dont like to be to negative so tend not to say much ,perhaps we should stick to constructive critersism. Afterall good or bad they all take time to set.

Hodge

When I log it's usually a longer if something has happend on the way or at the cache area. Our daft dog gets up to many antics when we have been caching and I always add things like that to my logs.

And if we have incidents with animals like cows and horses that has to be included...I hate the flaming things lol.

I dont like putting negative comments on the log pages because someone has taken the time and effort to hide a cache and its not very nice to recieve then either.

There are several cacher that you know will always make a great log entry, when I see that they have been to our caches I know before I read it that its going to be more than TNLNSL.

But I can waffle for England too :laughing:

I will admit to having put TNLN on a couple of caches (if you cant find "anything" nice to say, say nowt.)

I will also admit I am not a great wordsmith and do not always write more than a couple of sentences. If I have done a lot of caches in a day when dragged around by mad Badgers etc. I have been guilty of a cut and paste job.

I have a series of caches that people seem to do very short logs for most of them. Quite happy with that so long as on one of the cache logs they tell me if they enjoyed the series or not.

The didn't enjoy it bit is important as well. If I have got it wrong I like to know, so long as its constructive.

Edited by mongoose39uk

It's an easy one to answer - people play the game differently and that includes logging.

Personally, I tend to write longer logs for caches I've enjoyed and subscribe to the if I can't say something nice about a cache (35mm thrown at the foot of a post type for example) then I won't say much at all. It's really easy to see which caches we've enjoyed from our logs :laughing:.

I've no problem with someone putting TNLNL etc etc but do have an issue with people who write negative logs as at the end of the day someone has spent time and in some cases money setting up the cache and they don't deserve that.

:wub:B) I could add it's the admins that get to me, one word replies 'Published' or a templated response, sometimes still with [edit this] tags in!! ;)B);)

Oi!!!

Actually I can see the smileys so no worries. I just thought I'd mention that this one word log is system generated whenever we publish a cache. It bears no relation to what we think of the cache. Now if we had a rating system that would REALLY open a can of worms...... ;):laughing:

We usually do a long days walk with with several caches during a day so I like to write the story of the day on the webpage log. If there are several caches by the same person then the first usually gets the full days story and the rest just a short piece with anything amusing that happened to make that cache different from the rest.

We love to hear long logs from others on our caches.

Which log do you mean? The electronic one on the cache page, or the paper one in the cache.

I am not sad if someone only writes an abbreviation in the paper journal of my cache. I understand this, the cachers who found my cache have walked quite a distance, they must be tired and want to go home. Furthermore, judging my selves, I am also some one who only writes one-liners. I know my handwriting is so bad, no one will/can read the words anyway. If my name and date are clear, I am satisfied.

But I will be a bit disappointed if the log on the cache page has only a few characters. I put some effort in it; it might be nice to be rewarded. But, if not, so be it. Not everyone can or wants to write a long text.

But eh, what was your reason to make a cache? Was it for your joy in reading the messages? Or was it for the pleasure you can give to others by sharing a remarkable place.

Zilvervloot.

Nothing is better than reading a good online log.

When we first went paperless our logs shortened significantly as we were writing them in the field so to speak. When we stopped this and started writing them again i hope they got better. Some of the more recent short logs we have seen are sent in via the WAP interface

All our logs are reviewed offline by all the family before we submit them on the website.

You may find this thread on the same subject of interest

The better half of the team always writes the log in the field, usually a sticker with the date, time, a short comment and of course T4TC. I then write the long on the net and try to make it a few lines with either interest, information or humor, a couple of photos and then end with TNLNSL, T4TC. lets be honest it only takes a few minutes and makes reading the previous logs much more interesting. Now Travel Bugs.... well that is a different ball game and always find it pretty difficult to say much about them apart from moving it on for you! :laughing:

The only reward I get as a cache setter is to read folks logs on my caches, which makes me feel really short logs are a bit disrespectful. It's far more understandable when the finder's found many more that day, and I know not everyone feels eloquent enough to indulge their verbosity, but I personally always try to say something about my experience of finding a cache: Feedback on condition for the owner, words of advice for those who follow or just as a memory jogger when I read back through my logs in 10 years time. But that's just me. Others are quite within their rights to log with TNLN TFTC, a single word or even just a.

The only reward I get as a cache setter is to read folks logs on my caches, which makes me feel really short logs are a bit disrespectful.

I disagree with the "disrespectful" comment. Yes, it is an enjoyable side-effect of setting a cache that there are interesting comments and (hopefully) compliments about your cache. But I don't think we have any right to expect them. The on-line log really belongs to the finder not the setter, and any interesting remarks are a bonus. A cache setter is only notified of the log entry so that he/she can be aware of problems with the cache and/or problems with offensive or unsuitable remarks.

Having said that, I always put some effort into the on-line log even if wasn't a very memorable experience.

HH

The only reward I get as a cache setter is to read folks logs on my caches, which makes me feel really short logs are a bit disrespectful.
I disagree with the "disrespectful" comment...<snip>...Having said that, I always put some effort into the on-line log even if wasn't a very memorable experience.

HH

Fair enough, but what's your motivation for putting that effort in if the log really is only to say 'I found this one'?

Fair enough, but what's your motivation for putting that effort in if the log really is only to say 'I found this one'?

I wouldn't leave it at that, as such a phrase is pretty pointless even for an uneventful cache. If nothing remarkable happened, I might at least remark on the approach route, the weather, where I parked, what I did before etc. The main motivation being that it's an on-line diary/blog and I want to be able to remember something about the experience later when I look through my cache finds. At the same time, I realise that it's nice for the cache owner to get some comments

My point was that not everyone wants to keep such a detailed account, and it's up to them whether they bother much with the log content. Whilst I would prefer a bit of an account in logs for my caches, I'd fight for the right of people to leave TNLN if they prefer!

HH

Edited by Happy Humphrey

If you took the time to set a cache then surely you should expect at least a log of a few sentences.

Yep, we love long descriptive cache logs. Just look at the log on one of ours from Lollybob, PUP and the others from last Sunday - GCYWMP - reading it make you feel like you were there (or wishing you were :laughing: )

Here is the link

Other ones that stick in my memory are the funny ones like Pengy & Tiggers DNF at another of our caches, GCWBXD - Still makes me smile thinking of running through that wet meadow...

Here it is

each to their own, peoplewill have reasons for writing short logs others won't. Yes it is nice to get a written log, but the abilty of the person to write it, the number of caches done in the day and real life are just a few of the factors that may get in the way. In the end it's up to the cacher writing the logs what they are cofortable to leave behind however long or short that may be.

I disagree with the "disrespectful" comment...<snip>...Having said that, I always put some effort into the on-line log even if wasn't a very memorable experience.

HH

Because you have given, does that mean you should expect to be rewarded back? I have always associated that with greed!

My motivation is knowing that someone has got up and gone out and looked for the cache. I, like others, like to read about what has happened. I don't like to hear that others haven't enjoyed my cache, but if it is put politely I will listen and act if need be.

All I ask from people who find my caches is that if they swap they swap fairly (which is very seldom) and that they hide the cache well again. Other than that if they want to leave a few letters online then so be it, at least I know they have been there.

Like Gralorn I try to waffle on for a bit then have a standard end with TNLNSL-TFTC S&G - which more often than not I need to adit a little to remove 1 or 2 of the letters. It's much easier to waffle if something memorable happened or it's been a good cache. Must admit I struggle sometimes if we've been out and found a good number, or after a vacation when we're catching up. Now for holidays I write up on the PDA at the time then cut and paste - it makes it a little easier.

Sue

I tried to write a short log once. I failed. It still ran to two sentences. I had to restrain myslef from adding my usual ten tons of chit chat. Some people are just less verbose, I guess. Short TNLN logs are boring and dull, but it's really up to the finder... I do not take offense at them.

Negative logs... hmm... well if we all said nowt, or said nice things all the time, then how would the cache placer get any feedback? If I feel there is room for critcism then I will try to work it in in a helpful manner, trying not to cause offense and offering suggestions. I think more people should be a bit more forthcoming with their opinions. If it is tactfully phrased and honestly intentioned then why should the cache setter take great offense? Mind you, I have seen (not happend to me) slightly negative cache logs get deleted before, and so the finder had to relog with a TNLN log, just to get their find back and be acceptable to the cache setter.

I give (mostly) and am happy to receive TNLN type of logs.

I've walked through too many woods/copses/forests for any of them to be distinct. I've also found loads of caches that are hidden by the proverbial pile of twigs, again, none are really that distinct.

I now invariably log that "I've been there" aka "TNLN TFTC". :P Suits me Sir!

Unimaginative logs for unimaginative caches! After all, it is hard to be effusive about a magnetic tin stuck to a lamp post or sign.

Now then, if someone makes me scratch my head, makes me push my limits, or realize that I looked like a complete arse squatting down and looking under the tail of that marble horse........................

I don't actually mind a log of a few words to be honest...

It's enough to me that someone has been out there, had a nice walk, and found my cache in one piece (hopefully.)

However... when I write my logs, unless I've been on a numbers mission, they're usually quite a story - I waffle on for hours sometimes. There's invariably a story about me falling over, cos that happens a lot, or about some other daft incident!!

Personally I would prefer something more than TNLN, but each to there own. I also don't like waffle for the sake of it and sometime my logs are just a one liner, but that is the exception.

I agree entirely, and with Haggis Hunter. You cannot tell, or expect, others to do what you would like them to do. It's a game, people play it differently and people are different. If one or two folk write brief logs, surely the disappointment is more than made up for by the longer ones which are, in my expereince, much more common? And while it may not feel good to get the odd negative log, these shouldn't be taken too seriously. If you offer something to the general public, you cannot expect everyone to like it.

And waffle drivel better than nothing....NO! :unsure:

If I hold a door open for someone, I hope (rather than expect) to be thanked. Does that mean I'm greedy too?
Is a simple 'thanks' okay, or do you need a 5 minute conversation thanking you?
I happily settle for a smile or other acknowledgement, but a simple "thanks" is always nice when you've made the effort for someone else, don't you think? Or am I being terribly old fashioned?

Anyway, my original post makes it quite clear that I don't expect people to make an effort with their online logs for my, or others' caches. I just said I like it when they do. I was talking about me and my likes. I wasn't looking for anyone else to take my comments to heart.

Edited by Simply Paul

I often write short logs in the actual logbook, as I feel that the sooner the cache is back in its hiding place the safer it'll be - there's less opportunity for anyone to see what I'm doing.

But I'm sure Moss means online logs. I always try to make mine at least a substantial paragraph, and preferably more than that, regardless of whatever I thought of the cache, and I like to read substantial logs on my own caches. But I do accept that some people are logging in the field, and some just find typing a struggle - any log is good in that it tells me the cache is still there!

Anyway, my original post makes it quite clear that I don't expect people to make an effort with their online logs for my, or others' caches. I just said I like it when they do. I was talking about me and my likes. I wasn't looking for anyone else to take my comments to heart.

That is true you did make it clear that you don't expect them to make a long log, but I don't believe you just said you liked it when they did, you said it was disrespectful when they didn't. Yet Again a big difference. I can't see how some people couldn't take your 'disrespectful' comment to heart, as if I was a player that liked to just use acronyms for my logs I would have been offended.

Anyone is allowed to say they dislike them, I prefer to read longer logs like most. But to say that you expect more is the wrong motivation for placing a cache in the first place.