Caches on bridges.

daytribe

I was wondering whether anyone has ever placed or found a cache on a bridge.

I mean the really big ones like the Severn bridge etc.

Ones with a walkway across for pedestrians and cyclists.

Of course, I'm talking about a magnetised cache on a metal bridge.

I've had a hunt on the website but I can't find one. There's plenty on small

bridges and these are great too, but I'm looking for one on a big bridge.

Is there anything in the rules about this kind of cache?

What does everyone else think?

I was wondering whether anyone has ever placed or found a cache on a bridge.

I mean the really big ones like the Severn bridge etc.

Ones with a walkway across for pedestrians and cyclists.

Of course, I'm talking about a magnetised cache on a metal bridge.

I've had a hunt on the website but I can't find one. There's plenty on small

bridges and these are great too, but I'm looking for one on a big bridge.

Is there anything in the rules about this kind of cache?

What does everyone else think?

I suppose it depends on what your defintion of big bridge is. The Runcorn-Widnes bridge was the longest suspension bridge in the world when it was constructed and there's one there. I'm sure there must be some on bridges over the Thames.

Results may vary.

Off-limit (Physical) Caches

# Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

Hi Blue Deuce, I see you are based in the US so I understand your concern as it's a topic that is often discussed in the Reviewers' private forum. However this is an issue that only seems to cause a problem in the USA and most, if not all, other countries ignore this "guideline" in the case of bridges. One of the reasons Groundspeak has local volunteers is that they know local issues.

So to all UK cachers please feel free to continue placing caches un/under/in bridges :laughing:

I placed a small cache on the Gateshead Millennium Bridge that is well visited, and another two (one archived) on old railway bridges that at now a cycleway.

One of my favorite caches is sitting on Blackfryers bridge in London.

On the security concern front, there are a few bridges that I think we should be avoided, but not many in the UK, and that is where common sense applies.

Results may vary.

# Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

Hi Blue Deuce, I see you are based in the US so I understand your concern as it's a topic that is often discussed in the Reviewers' private forum. However this is an issue that only seems to cause a problem in the USA and most, if not all, other countries ignore this "guideline" in the case of bridges. One of the reasons Groundspeak has local volunteers is that they know local issues.

So to all UK cachers please feel free to continue placing caches un/under/in bridges :laughing:

Encouraging news indeed!

Thanks Lactodorum.

Results may vary.

So to all UK cachers please feel free to continue placing caches un/under/in bridges ;)

I recently have ..... :unsure:

There *may* be one on Runcorn Bridge (as Pieman has alluded to). There's also one on a big bridge in the center of Chester which is really good fun as it's so blatant yet none of the tons of muggles round the area spot it - it's not magnetic either :(.

And some experianced geocachers cant find it either ! LOL ! :(

Some have though :P ..... LOL great cache it is too.

There *may* be one on Runcorn Bridge (as Pieman has alluded to). There's also one on a big bridge in the center of Chester which is really good fun as it's so blatant yet none of the tons of muggles round the area spot it - it's not magnetic either :laughing: .

And some experianced geocachers cant find it either ! LOL ! :laughing:

Tell me about it. It has always been too busy when I've gone to do any of the caches in Chester city center.