Benchmark no longer there? Should I mark it as "Destroyed"

Gruntmo

I went looking for this benchmark Sunday CM1918 after checking here Google Earth Map / Satellite Photo and walking the ground with a GPS I found nothing but the Fort Benning Golf Course. There is a elevated patch of ground where the GPS says the coordinates are but there are no tanks visible withing 200-300 yards. The coordinates cannot be that "approximate". :)

The history on the data sheet only lists being observed in 1933. The coordinates were updated in September 1997. I am thinking that they just went through all the coordinates listed for the area and did the conversion to modern methods without actually going to the sites.

My question is should I mark it as destroyed on the Geocaching websight?

Thanks,

Nick

Even though there is no description the designation is enough to tell you that you are looking for a large tank structure. Since it is both LARGE and a GAS TANK I would expect something very noticable on the top of that hill, and there is obviously no such thing. You are safe in marking it destroyed on Geocaching (you can mark the Washington Monument as destroyed on GC.com with no real consequence), and if you feel included you can submit proof to the NGS that the tank is no longer in existence.