The Sandpit

Noddy

Hi

I am in Umhglanga for the next week. What are the GREAT caches in the area? The higher the terrain the better! I am prepared to drive an hour or so. No interest in urban hides, not interested in clever containers, not interested in puzzles. Great locations , secret spots, out of comfort zone. Hikes, forests, swimming spots are my kind of thing. If it involves bots, cliffs, ropes, scuba gear I am REALLY keen, but will need help with gear. What suggestions????

Hi

I am in Umhglanga for the next week. What are the GREAT caches in the area? The higher the terrain the better! I am prepared to drive an hour or so. No interest in urban hides, not interested in clever containers, not interested in puzzles. Great locations , secret spots, out of comfort zone. Hikes, forests, swimming spots are my kind of thing. If it involves bots, cliffs, ropes, scuba gear I am REALLY keen, but will need help with gear. What suggestions????

Doc - you can't go wrong with a walk along the Yellow Trail in Krantzloof Nature Reserve. Picnic area parking is at S29 46.360 E30 49.832. The Yellow trail drops down to the bottom of the gorge (about 200m vertical meters) and climbs out at the other end at Uve Rd (S29 46.229 E30 51.190). Height gain at this end is about 220m. From there you can take the Orange trail along the top of the gorge back to the start or yell on the cell for a lift. PM me (technonut@stars.co.za) if you want this option and I will be glad to give you a lift back to the start.

If you want a GPX file of the trail(s) and a list of caches, just yell as well. See image - red is going and green is returning. Total walk about 10 km.

Have fun.

Pete (Technonut)

KKDoc.jpg

Hi

As an alternative, there is the other side of Krantzkloof NR (along the Black and Blue trails). Some nice caches along here, but quite a few puzzles, which you don't want :(.

The walk (out and return) is about 11km, but a lift can be arranged from S29 46.602 E30 48.313 back to the start (same as the previous post). There are two really great waterfalls on this trail.

Again, if you want a gpx file of the trails and/or caches, just yell.

See image below for this trail.

Pete (Technonut)

KKDoc2.jpg

Hi

Hey capedoc what dates are you here till? I would be more than happy to join you and take you to various caches.

Well I came to KZN!

Thank you to tarisma for guiding me on two GREAT caches. We did 340 degrees and the Icebox. Really nice caches that are the type of caches I live to do.

Tried to meet Noddy ("Just pop in") but didn't look like he was home.

Spotted some geocaches doing a drunken bee dance while driving past a park, so topped and met erfsurfers from Gauteng.

Did a few in the forest near Umghlanga (nice forest trail).

Went zip lining but was having a blast and taking photos so didn't find the caches!

Found "babbling brook" nearby. Quite a fun cache especially while supervising 7 year olds in the climb.

Tried "hole in the wall", nice spot but DNF (kids were hungry!)

The kids had a blast climbing in the "rock castles" EC at Umhloti, I enjoyed the spot and coffee nearby.

Went to UShaka (didn't cache)

Dived with the raggies at Aliwal Shoal (didn't cache)i

Thanks again to Dave for the guiding and to Pete for all the advice!

Anyone wanting to do an adventure cache in Cape Town, give me a shout!

Well I came to KZN!

Thank you to tarisma for guiding me on two GREAT caches. We did 340 degrees and the Icebox. Really nice caches that are the type of caches I live to do.

Tried to meet Noddy ("Just pop in") but didn't look like he was home.

Spotted some geocaches doing a drunken bee dance while driving past a park, so topped and met erfsurfers from Gauteng.

Did a few in the forest near Umghlanga (nice forest trail).

Went zip lining but was having a blast and taking photos so didn't find the caches!

Found "babbling brook" nearby. Quite a fun cache especially while supervising 7 year olds in the climb.

Tried "hole in the wall", nice spot but DNF (kids were hungry!)

The kids had a blast climbing in the "rock castles" EC at Umhloti, I enjoyed the spot and coffee nearby.

Went to UShaka (didn't cache)

Dived with the raggies at Aliwal Shoal (didn't cache)i

Thanks again to Dave for the guiding and to Pete for all the advice!

Anyone wanting to do an adventure cache in Cape Town, give me a shout!

Glad you had a good time - sorry we didn't meet up - hopefully you'll be back for the MEGA?

KZN has some awesome caches and cachers!