The Sandpit

Noddy

Yes the year end is fast approaching. :huh:

The KZN Xmas bash will be held at the Cumberland Nature Reserve This year we plan to make it into a sleep over for the guys that want to camp, but note that the event is not only for geocachers camping over, anyone is welcome as a day visitor. The event will be on the 26 Nov 2011 from 13h00 to 18h00.

Please note that the event has moved:

Lord William Charles Pub & Beer Garden in Pinetown confirmed as the new venue.

The new Co-Ords are S29 49.353 E30 52.763.

See you all at 13h00.

Please note that the event has moved:

Lord William Charles Pub & Beer Garden in Pinetown confirmed as the new venue.

The new Co-Ords are S29 49.353 E30 52.763.

See you all at 13h00.

Thanks Johan. Now I can almost walk. :)

Pity I won't be able to do the Waterfall cache, but will do another day ...

See you there.

COP 17

Hovelj (John) and I have placed quite a few caches around the CBD / Point / Beachfront to mark COP17 being held in Durban from 28 Nov to 9 Dec. The main reason is to give the COP17 delegates who are also cachers a chance to grab a few quick 'n easy micros in close proximity to the main centres of activity.

All the caches will be named <CacheName> - COP17 and feature the COP17 logo, so you will know which they are.

Being in the areas above, I just hope the caches last for a while before they get muggled. Let's see what happens.

Well, the FTFs have been grabbed. Anyone wanting to grab these must now go for it .....

COP 17

Hovelj (John) and I have placed quite a few caches around the CBD / Point / Beachfront to mark COP17 being held in Durban from 28 Nov to 9 Dec. The main reason is to give the COP17 delegates who are also cachers a chance to grab a few quick 'n easy micros in close proximity to the main centres of activity.

All the caches will be named <CacheName> - COP17 and feature the COP17 logo, so you will know which they are.

Being in the areas above, I just hope the caches last for a while before they get muggled. Let's see what happens.

Well, the FTFs have been grabbed. Anyone wanting to grab these must now go for it .....

COP 17

These caches will be published soon. Now it would be a very nice gesture if the local cachers stood aside for a few days to allow the visitors to claim the FTFs. Yeah, I know, but I am only asking nicely. :). I am also sending out a bulk email to all on my local list with the same request.

Seasons Greetings to Everyone

We are busy placing quite a few caches in the Harold Johnson Reserve near Mandini(about 8) and intend to get these listed in Jan 2012.It is a nice and easy hiking trail.As its out of the way we thought it best to hide enough to make it a worthwhile trip.

Should we get all listed together or stagger there listing. Suggestions please.

In this post is a table containing a list of caches in KZN by D/T rating - as at 11 January 2012.

I have also inserted a list for the "near to Durban" caches (Ethekwini, iLembe and Umgungundlovu).

DT_Grid_Jan2012.jpg

Looking at the data is is very obvious that we are missing some D/T combinations, so achieving a full grid is impossible without some serious travel.

Now it would be really great if KZN cachers were able to log the entire grid right here in KZN. And it would also attract other cachers to our province to tackle these missing D/T ratings.

Where there is only one of a particular D/T rating it means that the owner of that cache cannot complete the D/T grid as he can't go and find his own cache, so we need more of that D/T rating. In fact at least three of each rating is ideal in case one gets archived.

So, here is my challenge for 2012!

I will give a prize of One Year's Premium Membership (or an extension to your existing Premium Membership) to the best new cache placed that fills or extends the red cells, so that by the end of the year we can ideally have a full D/T grid available in KZN.

2012 D/T Challenge

Rules

•  
  • The cache must be a new listing, and must be placed in Ethekwini, iLembe or Umgungundlovu (Durban Functional Region, PMB Functional Region, Near North Coast (up to the Tugela)).
  • The cache can be any physical type, i.e Events and Earthcaches are excluded.
  • The words "2012 D/T Challenge" must appear in the Cache Short Description.
  • The cache must have one of the ratings highlighted in pink in the table, preferably a rating where zero or only one exists.
  • Cachers living anywhere in South Africa are eligible. However a verifiable local maintainer must be appointed if the cacher lives outside of the districts mentioned above.
  • I may use the opinions of other cachers (at my discretion) in determining a winner.
  • The judge's (that's me) decision is final and may not be appealed, discussed, condemned or disparaged :). A decision will be made by 15 January 2013 and the award made at an event after that date.
  • These rules are not exhaustive as crystal balls are in short supply.

Use this web reference to rate your cache placement: Rate a Cache

As always - comments are welcomed. Let's go and have some fun.

PT

:grin: Bakers Dozen Challenge 2011 :grin:

A new challenge for 2011.

All interested, need to commit to place at least one cache per month and one more in any month of their choosing.

All entrants will stand a chance to win a prize at the the next Christmas event.

Please let me know if you keen !!

Cheers

Noddy & KT

:lol:

So ....... What happened?

How many cachers are there on the KZN South Coast? We will be a few cachers from NW and Qatar there in May and was thinking of an Event to meet "the locals"!

Have it over a weekend, and maybe a few of the Durban guys might dust off their passports and make the trek :)

I think there are one or two active cachers in the Margate area ...

How many cachers are there on the KZN South Coast? We will be a few cachers from NW and Qatar there in May and was thinking of an Event to meet "the locals"!

Have it over a weekend, and maybe a few of the Durban guys might dust off their passports and make the trek :)

Unfortunately we will be there for a week - during the week. :( The weekend will be in the Hillcrest area. Perhaps I can get Carbon Hunter to arrange a quickie on the Saturday evening or the Sunday morning. Maybe a quick breakfast event will be good? Let's see what we can arrange.

I think I will publish an Event at the Shelley Beach Mall for around 17h00 on the Wednesday and see who pitches. :P:unsure:

Edited by cincol

Unfortunately we will be there for a week - during the week. :( The weekend will be in the Hillcrest area. Perhaps I can get Carbon Hunter to arrange a quickie on the Saturday evening or the Sunday morning. Maybe a quick breakfast event will be good? Let's see what we can arrange.

I think I will publish an Event at the Shelley Beach Mall for around 17h00 on the Wednesday and see who pitches. :P:unsure:

We're in the Shelly Beach area. If you'd like to meet up on the Wednesday we'd be keen. I think Mugg and Bean at the South Coast Mall closes at 5:30, but Marcello's is opposite the M&B and that's open till late.

Hee hee... I managed to slip past 1000 and 2000 without the KZN lot noticing. Ysbeer should hit the 1000 soon I think. With a possible event in Newcastle coming up 2nd June. There are a lot of caches he can add to his list. Although not enough to reach the 1K I think.

Hee hee... I managed to slip past 1000 and 2000 without the KZN lot noticing. Ysbeer should hit the 1000 soon I think. With a possible event in Newcastle coming up 2nd June. There are a lot of caches he can add to his list. Although not enough to reach the 1K I think.

Perhaps we should have a Wazat 2.5k event?

Remind me when you are closer

Perhaps we should have a Wazat 2.5k event?

Remind me when you are closer

I think it is to be close to the Mega, but that would require another 299 and there are a lot in Durban, might have to get down there a bit more.... mmm :unsure:

HovelJ and I are talking about organising a family picnic / braai event at Shongweni sometime in the near future - probably a Sunday lunch-time thing towards the mid/end of June.

Being Shongweni it is also quite convenient for the PMB cachers. And Wild Cards get in free.

If someone has or can bring a boat, there is a T5 cache up for grabs as well!!

Any interest / date suggestions?

PT

HovelJ and I are talking about organising a family picnic / braai event at Shongweni sometime in the near future - probably a Sunday lunch-time thing towards the mid/end of June.

Being Shongweni it is also quite convenient for the PMB cachers. And Wild Cards get in free.

If someone has or can bring a boat, there is a T5 cache up for grabs as well!!

Any interest / date suggestions?

PT

Sounds like a great idea - hope I am around!

Internationl Geocaching Day 2012 - 18 August 2012

see GC38J9N for the GS event.

I will be creating an event for this day - I am thinking of using the Interpretative Centre at Krantzkloof.

The cost of hire for this venue (includes kitchen, toilets, braai stands etc) is R500, which I suppose must be recovered from the attendees .... :}

This would indicate that if we have 30 odd people attending, we need to charge R15 per head or (say) R30 per team to cover the costs. Or we need a sponsor ....

Or - should I look for a free venue? Maybe the picnic spot across the road? Or somewhere else?

Some thoughts / comments / ideas please .....

PT

The next KZN 1000?

Who is going to be the next cacher to reach the BIG 1000?

We haven't had a local cacher here for a while? Any ideas?

If Willem (Ysbeer) does not pull his finger out, I can see a bunch of guys that are starting to get close .....

Go Ysbeer, Go :rolleyes:

Of course, don't forget the 2000 celebration for Team Porky2 on the 28th at Stokers!! See GC3W247.

PT

A few years ago some South African geocachers came up with the great idea that we should host a Mega Event in South Africa. Now there is less than 2 weeks to go before we all have the opportunity in sharing the Mega Fun at the first ever Mega Event in Africa which is hosted in Pretoria, South Africa.

One of the last items on the programme of the Event is the closing ceremony of the log book at 12:00 on Sunday, 7 October 2012. Those of you that followed the Olympic Games hosted in London earlier this year may have seen during the closing ceremony how the mayor of London, Borris Johnson, handed the Olympic Flag over to the mayor of Rio de Janero, Eduardo Paes.

As organising committee of the 2012 South African Mega Event we would like to be in a position to undertake a similar type of symbolic gesture of handing over the Mega Event to the team of Geocachers who have taken up to the challenge to start organising the next South African Mega event. Geocachers in other regions of the country that want to organise the next South African Mega event are asked to kindly contact us at info@geocachingsa.com so that we can talk about the logistics of handing over the baton not only ceremoniously on 7 October 2012 but also practically thereafter.

The next KZN 1000?

Who is going to be the next cacher to reach the BIG 1000?

We haven't had a local cacher here for a while? Any ideas?

If Willem (Ysbeer) does not pull his finger out, I can see a bunch of guys that are starting to get close .....

Go Ysbeer, Go :rolleyes:

Of course, don't forget the 2000 celebration for Team Porky2 on the 28th at Stokers!! See GC3W247.

PT

OK - looks liek a double header - Ysbeer and Hovelj both got there this weekend in Pretoria. Looking like an event in late Oct - just a venue to be decided.

OK - looks liek a double header - Ysbeer and Hovelj both got there this weekend in Pretoria. Looking like an event in late Oct - just a venue to be decided.

Congrats to Ysbeer and hovelj on your 1000. Have fun getting the next 1000

And from this side as well. Congrats to John & Willem. Now let's see the next 500 and the next 1000!! Well done! :D

OK - apologies - I have been out the country since the MEGA. Back now - and it looks like I need to arrange the double header.

2. 1)How about Friday evening 2 November - probably in the Pinetown/Westville/Hillary Triangle?
  3. 2) Alternativly - Sat 3 November - afternoon - in the Durban South/Toti area?
  4. 3) Or a midweek event

(quick stop n go) at the Pavillion or Westwood Centre

Comments please - and I'll develop the event cache thereafter.

OK KZN cachers - the diary is fulling up really quickly as we approach year end - even with 2 consequtive weekends having events planned in KZN.

NOW I know I am being really slow in planning the 1000 cache events for the latest 2 cachers - and if I wait any longer I'll have half a dozen cachers to host :)

How about doubling up for th epicnic in the Park on 17 November?

We could plan a mini-flash mob in the middle of this to celebrate the 1000 (x2)

What is consensus (and permission from event owner - Donjolley)?