The Sandpit

Noddy

Hi All

I am planning a trip down to Bloemfontein for the weekend of the 25/26/27 March 2011. The whole idea behind the trip will be Numbers, (Yes, Yes I know it is not all about the numbers, but it does help :unsure: ) as Bloemfontein is virgin territories for a few of the "newbies" in KZN (Myself included). The idea will be to try and get as many caches in a 24 hour period as possible. (What is the current record?? :huh: ) I have contacted Oom Louwtjie in Bloemfontein as most of the caches in the area belong to him and checked with him if he is ok with us going for numbers on his caches. He is fine with this and has even made his home available for an event before we start of our hunt. The Event is the Le "cache" Mans (24 Hours). It has been published on the 28 Feb 2011. We will have the event at his house (a bring and braai) from 21:00 and will start the 24 hour endurance race at midnight and end at midnight Saturday. The nice thing is that there is a cache at his house and this will be number one for the day.

Newcastle Cash 'n Dash

Is there anyone who fancies a few days in Newcastle to clear the place? Either a weekend, or anytime?

PT

Count me in... whooop.... Oh wait... I have it cleared. LoL. I have another cache or two down for publication soon. But with this in mind I might spice it up with a few more...

Or an event? mmm

Edited by Wazat

Newcastle Cash 'n Dash

Is there anyone who fancies a few days in Newcastle to clear the place? Either a weekend, or anytime?

PT

We have been thinking about a visit to Wazatville for some time now. Potentially the weekend of 5,6,7 August?

Hi guys - I am now officially a "Sandpit" member. Glad to be back - the only consolation with this weather at the moment - is as the ECR DJ said - at least the sea temperature in Durbs is higher than the Joburg and Cape Town air temp :)

Looking forward to meeting with a bunch of you guys soon.

Welcome back!

Hope to finally meet you at the event on the 20th this month (http://coord.info/GC3033B)

Hi guys - I am now officially a "Sandpit" member.

Looking forward to meeting with a bunch of you guys soon.

Welcome back!

Hope to finally meet you at the event on the 20th this month (http://coord.info/GC3033B)

Looking forward to seeing many at the event - if you can please contact a newbie and invite them as well.

Please post your "will attend" logs, and also indicate if you will be bringing a salad to share.

Thanks

PT

Edited by TechnoNut

Newbie / Technical Event

As I have a fair bit of time on my hands these days (when not chasing a FTF :) ), I really would like to organise a Newbie / Tech event for sometime in September / October. (This is something I really missed when starting geocaching)

The way I see it, we should cover the following.

•  
  • Finding and Logging caches
  • Hiding Caches (with reference to FE's "Hiding a cache in Africa")
  • Generally accepted "caching etiquette"
  • Benefits of Premium membership
  • Mapsource
  • GSAK Basics
  • GSAK Macros
  • General Q&A

All sessions about 30 min.

Maybe this is too much for one event?

Perhaps the GSAK subjects should be a separate event?

The following is needed:-

Venue: Johan has mentioned that his saltmine training centre may be available

Date / Time: would have to be a weekend morning / afternoon.

Speakers: on the above topics

Video Projector

My thoughts on speakers (yes, I know this is cheeky)

Finding and Logging - Noddy / DRDM

Hiding - DiePienaars

Etiquette - Kwenda Tafuta / Noddy

GSAK Basics - anyone using GSAK

GSAK Macros - Flying Syringe

Mapsource - TechnoNut

General Q&A - all speakers

Of course I may be way out with the above suggestions, that is why I am posting this here - all ideas must be considered, and volunteers should please put their hands up.

Thoughts please .....

Edited by TechnoNut

Newcastle Cash 'n Dash

PT

Any plans, I see that Madsons is already up for it. Anyone else? I am unfortunately working this weekend (Standby) so I might get called out if need be but otherwise I will be around to meet up. I am planning on dropping a few more caches and will see if I can get the other locals interested. I am a little late for organising an event as I was not sure what was going on this weekend, work wise etc.... But I am sure we can have a get together at some stage, swap TB's and discover coins etc... maybe have a braai... who knows. So if anyone else is interested... keep me informed. If anyone is keen on doing the Majuba climb/hike I am sure I could make a plan to join in. Might need to check up on my caches after the snow although they should be OK.

Newbie / Technical Event

As I have a fair bit of time on my hands these days (when not chasing a FTF :) ), I really would like to organise a Newbie / Tech event for sometime in September / October. (This is something I really missed when starting geocaching)

Thoughts please .....

Great idea Pete, these days I am seeing a lot of newbies down in Durban and it would be a great benifit to the guys down there to learn the easy way to caching. There are Techno Events held frequently up in JHB that I have attended which are great for learning about all the different aspects. There are a lot of things that even old hands at the game can learn from these events. I would suggest you speak to BruceTP in regards to what formats he looks at for each event as he makes each one a different catagory subject. So not just one event covering everything, but a bi-monthly event covering certain areas... Something Similar could then be done in Durban. Covering everything in one go is not going to be an easy feat..... I would suggest concentrate on the Hiding and seeking of caches, logging of finds, movement of travellers and the general ettiqutte first, followed by short intros to Premium Membership and it's benifits, PQ's and GSAK. These can then be covered in more detail in another event. The thing is most times newbies get a taste of caching and unless they know what more is on offer they will cache aimlessly and wonder how the rest of us do it. But with a taste of what is to come, they might pay a bit more interest to it. Sure fire way to get the next event covered... At which stage you do more in depth training on GSAK, PQ's and Mapsource.

I wish I had all this available to me when I began... But Premium Membership in a place where there were only 3 caches when I started... didn't make sense. Now I am going to be lost without it.

Newcastle Cash 'n Dash

PT

Any plans, I see that Madsons is already up for it. Anyone else? I am unfortunately working this weekend (Standby) so I might get called out if need be but otherwise I will be around to meet up.

Wayne - this is still on the cards for my dash to 1000. But will probably be a during the week thing for me, I am thinking of the week after next (week starting on 15th). My plan is to leave Durban bright and early, do a few caches on my way to NN, camp over and cache again the next day, hopefully wiping Newcastle clean. Then maybe back to Durban via Utrecht and Vryheid.

On the camp over - can you recommend a place? Is Amcordam a good place to camp over for two nights?

PT

Newbie / Technical Event

As I have a fair bit of time on my hands these days (when not chasing a FTF ), I really would like to organise a Newbie / Tech event for sometime in September / October. (This is something I really missed when starting geocaching)

•Finding and Logging caches

•Hiding Caches (with reference to FE's "Hiding a cache in Africa")

•Generally accepted "caching etiquette"

•Benefits of Premium membership

•Mapsource

•GSAK Basics

•GSAK Macros

•General Q&A

Video Projector

Hiding - DiePienaars

Mapsource - TechnoNut

Of course I may be way out with the above suggestions, that is why I am posting this here - all ideas must be considered, and volunteers should please put their hands up.

Thoughts please .....

Great stuff TN, Diepienaars & I have had this idea for a long time now. Glad that you will be running with it.

Newcastle Cash 'n Dash

PT

Any plans, I see that Madsons is already up for it. Anyone else? I am unfortunately working this weekend (Standby) so I might get called out if need be but otherwise I will be around to meet up.

Wayne - this is still on the cards for my dash to 1000. But will probably be a during the week thing for me, I am thinking of the week after next (week starting on 15th). My plan is to leave Durban bright and early, do a few caches on my way to NN, camp over and cache again the next day, hopefully wiping Newcastle clean. Then maybe back to Durban via Utrecht and Vryheid.

On the camp over - can you recommend a place? Is Amcordam a good place to camp over for two nights?

PT

Not a great place at all, I can recommend Chemsford dam though. That gives you the caches up at Love Rock and then Collins pass to go for. Otherwise there is Utrecht for camping... Great spot too.

Edited by Wazat
Newbie / Technical Event

As I have a fair bit of time on my hands these days (when not chasing a FTF ), I really would like to organise a Newbie / Tech event for sometime in September / October. (This is something I really missed when starting geocaching)

•Finding and Logging caches

•Hiding Caches (with reference to FE's "Hiding a cache in Africa")

•Generally accepted "caching etiquette"

•Benefits of Premium membership

•Mapsource

•GSAK Basics

•GSAK Macros

•General Q&A

Video Projector

Hiding - DiePienaars

Mapsource - TechnoNut

Thoughts please .....

Great stuff TN, Diepienaars & I have had this idea for a long time now. Glad that you will be running with it.

Excellent - I attended a basic newbie meet n greet in Joburg a month or so back - great fun.

I'll also be happy to do a short Earthcache session if needed.

signalsmile.gif *************************************************************************************************************************************** signalsmile.gif

DrDM & Raider (that's us) are sponsoring a coin for the best cache in Kwazulu Natal for 2011.

In order to qualify to win this un-activated coin, you simply need to go out and plant a good quality cache in Kwazulu Natal.

* The winner will decided via a voting process at the end of the year.

* Bonus votes might be awarded if the cache forms part of the "Bakers Dozen Challenge 2011"

[ The judges' decision (that's us) will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. ]

So, go out there and plant some good quality caches!

Link to coin:

http://shop.spacecoa...LoveStamp_N.jpg

signalsmile.gif *************************************************************************************************************************************** signalsmile.gif

Please could all KZN cachers wanting to vote please email me via geocaching and remember to tick: send my email :)

The winner will decided via a voting process at the end of the year.

The judges' decision (that's us) will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. ][/size]

Please could all KZN cachers wanting to vote please email me via geocaching and remember to tick: send my email :)

Jacques

Notwithstanding the foregoing "judges decision ......" :)

Criteria for voting?

May I suggest a combination of (you decide the weighting)

•  
  • Container
  • Fave Points

PT

The winner will decided via a voting process at the end of the year.

The judges' decision (that's us) will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. ][/size]

Jacques

Notwithstanding the foregoing "judges decision ......" :)

Criteria for voting?

May I suggest a combination of (you decide the weighting)

• Container
  • Fave Points

PT

I was thinking:

* Location (which includes hide & container)

* Quality of listing

* Puzzle (i.e. quality, fun factor, cleverness etc)

But the voting is just for me to make up my mind to find out who get the coin.

Obviously things like how long the cacher has been hiding etc are also taken into consideration...

BUT

The judges' decision (that's us) will be final and no correspondence will be entered into :D

Yes the year end is fast approaching. :huh:

The KZN Xmas bash will be held at the Cumberland Nature Reserve This year we plan to make it into a sleep over for the guys that want to camp, but note that the event is not only for geocachers camping over, anyone is welcome as a day visitor. The event will be on the 26 Nov 2011 from 13h00 to 18h00.

Edited by DiePienaars

The KZN Xmas bash will be held at the Cumberland Nature Reserve This year we plan to make it into a sleep over for the guys that want to camp, but note that the event is not only for geocachers camping over, anyone is welcome as a day visitor. The event will be on the 26 Nov 2011 from 13h00 to 16h00.

Thanks Johan!

Put me down for camping. Have you got rates available please?

Who wants to do the Waterfall cache with me? I still need that one.

Edit: I have a spare tent, sleeps three easily or four very friendly people. First come first served. (I will be using the Roof Top Tent on the Landy.)

PT

Edited by TechnoNut

The KZN Xmas bash will be held at the Cumberland Nature Reserve This year we plan to make it into a sleep over for the guys that want to camp, but note that the event is not only for geocachers camping over, anyone is welcome as a day visitor. The event will be on the 26 Nov 2011 from 13h00 to 16h00.

Thanks Johan!

Put me down for camping. Have you got rates available please?

Who wants to do the Waterfall cache with me? I still need that one.

Edit: I have a spare tent, sleeps three easily or four very friendly people. First come first served. (I will be using the Roof Top Tent on the Landy.)

PT

The event is out for publishing with all the details. we have the whole campsite for ourself.

Hi everyone!

I have 2 questions for you guys...

First one is : can someone please tell me how to set up PQs that will allow me to get ALL caches in KZN into GSAK? I'm assuming there's some optimal PQs around certain points to do this?

Second : What are your thoughts on getting some kind of initiative going to get ALL KZN caches found (by any cachers) this year (2011)?

Looking forward to your responses/feedback. B)

First one is : can someone please tell me how to set up PQs that will allow me to get ALL caches in KZN into GSAK? I'm assuming there's some optimal PQs around certain points to do this?

Can be done with 2 pocket queries (if you are happy with 1000 waypoint pq's) Filter for state = Kwazulu Natal and for date range between 24.07.2002 and 25.08.2011 for the first one and the other query from 26.08.2011 to any future date.

The first PQ should return 998 results and the second ± 37.

There is a GSAK macro that will do this. On any filter. Macro is called: PlacedPQ.gsk. Watch your email :)

Edit: This PQ runs by placed date.

Second : What are your thoughts on getting some kind of initiative going to get ALL KZN caches found (by any cachers) this year (2011)?

Nice idea, but easier said than done. There are some very remote caches. Even with the FTF still waiting. For 4 years! And some are definitely missing, owner no longer active. You will see when you get all KZN caches downloaded.

Edited by TechnoNut

There is a GSAK macro that will do this. On any filter. Macro is called: PlacedPQ.gsk.

This will work only once you have populated your DB with a range of caches, but it helps to track down ranges initially. Once you have the majority of KZN caches loaded you can tweak your pq's from time to time.

Dates for 500 caches max

001 Jul 24, 2002 to Aug 31, 2009 443

002 Sep 01, 2009 to May 18, 2011 490

003 May 19, 2011 to Max date 105

If you want all of South Africa, start with 01Jan2000 and then use the following end dates. 14 PQs for 500 caches per email.

SA01_16April2006

SA02_07April2007

SA03_16Dec2007

SA04_04July2008

SA05_03March2009

SA06_03Sept2009

SA07_30Jan2010

SA08_23Jun2010

SA09_14Nov2010

SA10_02Feb2011

SA11_15Apr2011

SA12_04Jun2011

SA13_05Aug2011

SA14_from06Aug2011

Don't forget we have other neighbouring countries - they can all be got with one PQ selection - total ~330 caches in Ls, Na, Bw, Mz, Zw, Zm and Sz.

Then you have a nice Southern Africa database with about 7020 active caches.

And are free to roam .... :lol:

Active caches in KZN, by District

There was some discussion at the event tonight about this.

I ran a quick check on GSAK and got the following:-

Active caches (excluding archived, a few may be disabled)

Amajuba - 101

Ethekweni - 434

Ilembe - 34

Sisonke - 28

Ugu- 32

Umgungundlovu - 140

Umkhanyakude - 33

Umzinyathi - 13

Uthukela - 171

uThungulu - 45

Zululand - 25

Total for KZN - 1056

PT

Edited by TechnoNut

The KZN Xmas bash will be held at the Cumberland Nature Reserve This year we plan to make it into a sleep over for the guys that want to camp, but note that the event is not only for geocachers camping over, anyone is welcome as a day visitor. The event will be on the 26 Nov 2011 from 13h00 to 18h00.

Just a reminder on this weekend KZN Xmas bash.

You will need to pay cash (pls. keep the right change) at Cumberland for your visit/stay.

Also if you are interested as Noddy asked, what KZN normally do is to bring toys to the event that we donate to the underprivileged. Just mark them boy or girl.

COP 17

Hovelj (John) and I have placed quite a few caches around the CBD / Point / Beachfront to mark COP17 being held in Durban from 28 Nov to 9 Dec. The main reason is to give the COP17 delegates who are also cachers a chance to grab a few quick 'n easy micros in close proximity to the main centres of activity.

These caches will be published soon. Now it would be a very nice gesture if the local cachers stood aside for a few days to allow the visitors to claim the FTFs. Yeah, I know, but I am only asking nicely. :). I am also sending out a bulk email to all on my local list with the same request.

All the caches will be named <CacheName> - COP17 and feature the COP17 logo, so you will know which they are.

Being in the areas above, I just hope the caches last for a while before they get muggled. Let's see what happens.