The Sandpit

Noddy

OK, I have to chew what I bit off... :antenna: This picture tells the story -

There were 3 Sharks for every WP player on the field Saturday. A comprehensive beating and well earned title - congrats to the Sharks (and their supporters)!

Congratulations accepted!

There were three highlights for me ...

Schalk getting handed off by Paddie Lambie as he scored his try

The hit on Schalk by Ludik in the 2nd half (sorry Schalk about the cracked rib)

The puzzled look on Schalk's face (wha' happened?)

In all, the Sharks were worthy winners, but on another day the result could have been different.

For the WP supporters, a small memento - it is available for viewing in Durban.

Currie%20Cuppp.jpg

:santa: Not exactly sure how to get onto the forum so I just hit reply.Well we have just passed the 50 cache mark and wanted to introduce ourselves to the other KZN cachers.We are now ready to start hiding our own caches we were advised by the couple who introduced us to geocaching to restrict it to premium members is this a good idea. Also the year end get together can someone let us have some more details presuming its for all? Edited by PORKY2

:santa: Not exactly sure how to get onto the forum so I just hit reply.Well we have just passed the 50 cache mark and wanted to introduce ourselves to the other KZN cachers.We are now ready to start hiding our own caches we were advised by the couple who introduced us to geocaching to restrict it to premium members is this a good idea. Also the year end get together can someone let us have some more details presuming its for all?

Hi Porky2

Good to see that you managed to add a log. :santa: Congrats with your first 50 finds. :santa:

In SA there are not many Premium members’ caches. I would suggest for your first cache to be not a premium member only as it would exclude some finders as our numbers don’t compare to the USA.

For the Sandpit Xmas bash, any geocacher, even future cachers are welcome. (That’s if you don’t have four paws. Sorry Willow :santa: )

Hope to see your first cache published soon.

I have a question ......

Maybe it is doff, maybe not.

If I am placing a multi-cache - and the initial and final are different sizes, (say nano initial and small final) - how do I describe the cache on the listing? By the initial or final container size?

Both options could be correct, but obviously only one can be.

PT

I have a question ......

Maybe it is doff, maybe not.

If I am placing a multi-cache - and the initial and final are different sizes, (say nano initial and small final) - how do I describe the cache on the listing? By the initial or final container size?

Both options could be correct, but obviously only one can be.

PT

Final cache determins which one you chose

:grin: Bakers Dozen Challenge 2011 :grin:

A new challenge for 2011.

All interested, need to commit to place at least one cache per month and one more in any month of their choosing.

All entrants will stand a chance to win a prize at the the next Christmas event.

Please let me know if you keen !!

Cheers

Noddy & KT

:lol:

Edited by Noddy

All interested, need to commit to place at least one cache per month and one more in any month of their choosing.

All entrants will stand a chance to win a prize at the the next Christmas event.

Cheers

Noddy & KT

Noddy - does this only apply to KZN caches and cachers?

:laughing: Bakers Challenge :laughing:

The challenge will run for 2011, but will most probably end at the Christmas Event in December, so that we can give out a prize or two. Please note that in line with the new favorite app lauched by Groundspeak there might be a coin for the best placement as well as one for all taking part.

ENJOY

Cheers

Noddy & KT

:rolleyes: We will try and be bakers for 2011. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: We will try and be bakers for 2011. :rolleyes:

What about some conditions? say, no OPORs, no trees?

:rolleyes:

:ph34r: What's the problem, are you getting to old for the trees? :ph34r:

KZN Bakers Dozen Challenge 2011 # 1-6 from my side out and ready for finding. But be prepared for some slip and slide driving to some in this wonderful weather. I spent 8 hours going sideways on muddy roads, wading through flooded drifts, enduring heavy storms, dense fog and this all at night. Crossed at least 4 deep drifts, enough to get water inside the car, hectic drive back from my last placement on over 100km of dirt/mud roads/rivers.... 200km trip home from Paulpitersburg took 8 hours.... go figure.... be prepared for the worse or stay home... :ph34r:

And yes, this was in the Corsa 4x4.... so you will need something as durable or just be as mad as me.... LoL

Edited by Wazat

OK, so I am about to cave in and get a new caching GPS. Even though the GPS V has been a good workhorse and has found close to 450 caches, I don't like losing signal under trees as you guys really love hiding caches where there is lots of tree cover :(

I have a friend about to visit from Stateside, so I will order from GPS City.

Now - what to get? A Dakota or an Oregon? Pros and cons of each please (geocaching-wise).....

Price difference is only $30 so it is neither here or there.

Thanks in advance.

PT

I looked at both and ended with the Oregon - perhapsdrop G8scot a line - he seems very happy with his oregon too

Thanks - I am heading in that direction, but will wait for a few more opinions / 2c worth.

Hi Pete,

I use an Oregon 550... very good device!! Also have a Dakota 20 that is a backup unit, also good unit but the Oregon is the better of the two to go for. Dakota is smaller, missing only a few Oregon options and the screen resolution is not that smooth, so a great pocket device if you don't like bulky units, but if I was asked to choose only one then the Oregon 550 is the one.

60CSx - it might not have all the fancy features(but who needs them) - but it's an awesome, reliable and accurate GPS. Rated the best for under trees :D

You can also drop a Landy on top of one and the screen does not crack... [ I've heard rumours of a heavy object (like a thumb) breaking the Oregon touch screens :P ]

But seriously - look at you caching style - do you drop the GPS a lot, do you cache in bright sunlight, what features do you use etc.Once you have what suites you then buy what you like.

We like the 60CSx for it's ruggedness.

60csx_img3.jpg I see GPC city has then for $200...

Speak to bats / dillylama - I think they got the new upgrades of the 60 CSx

Bats has the 62CSx. Swears by it..... O like the idea now of the Garmin chirp and if they become popular then a wireless enabled GPS is what you will need. But again the problem with a touch screen..... rugged terrain and falling with it is just not gonna help. I had a fall the other day just after doing Umbilo Dam cache and went down hard on the ground after slipping on a wet rock. My eTex was in my hand and hit the ground screen first. there are some nasty scratches across the screen but the unit is still 100%. I am very pleased with the eTrex, it has way less features of the new units and the rubber strip[ keeps coming loose but it is very accurate and works under trees.... I have used the averating feature to place all my caches and unless it is really dense trees and overcast weather it gets a great reading. I have placed two caches now with an average accuracy of 1.4 meters.... I am heading up to one next weekend and I want to see how good that reading was. Bats has the 62CSx and he will be going with.... will see how good that unit is in comparison. I love the features of the Oregon, would love to get one myself and probably will sometime, just for now, I have the trusty eTrex and what isn't broken doesn't need fixing. I would personally say go for a Nuvi SatNav to get you there and a cheap hand held that can take Contour maps for the actual geocache hunt... What more do you need.....

And yes, this was in the Corsa 4x4.... so you will need something as durable or just be as mad as me.... LoL

Looks like you have a contender to join you - perhaps this guy should be recruited to caching?

BMW Offroading

What are those roads? I think that Bats already can disclaim the off road part of this guy when he saw where i took the Corsa.... and that was only at the start of the path.... I think maybe I need to get a camera fitted to the car.... Tinkerbell-GP took a video but it was from too far away as she decided that been in the car was not for her.... I will try and see if I can get the video and post it.... I have one of me going through flood waters too, but that was on roads.... no fun there....

You can also drop a Landy on top of one and the screen does not crack... [ I've heard rumours of a heavy object (like a thumb) breaking the Oregon touch screens :P ]

Hmmm have heard the thumb rumor too. Yes the screen is vulnerable, I use a screen protector, which guards against smaller scratches but obviously will not save a direct pointy blow. If you look at my unit though you will see that it has been through some rough terrain and the outer casing shows this but all else is still fine, the unit is well ruggedized, but care does need to be taken re the screen.

A small benefit of the oregon is the included camera... not great but way better than I expected. Geotagged photos on the spur of the moment can come in useful at times. But that is a tiny benefit and should not sway the decision in any major way.

While the camera didn't influence the decision at all (both NG and I carry a happy snappy), the Oregon 550 has won the day at $430 - main decision maker here was the screen resolution - 3x that of the 60csx. Oregon should be here with my son's g/f during the 1st week in Feb :)

Now, on matters just slightly more (or is it less) mundane ....

Seeing as we have a cacher about to hit 2000, two that have recently hit 1000, and a bundle about to hit 500 (myself included), does this not call for an event to celebrate any / all of the above?

Must I organise it?

PT

We are having KT’s 1000 on the 2 Feb at Firkin’s 18h00, so keep your diaries open. The event would be published soon.

I am just waiting for a date from Noddy and then we will host his 2000. We will also order his 2000 coin. It looks that it would be second week in Feb as Noddy’s GPS was stolen this morning. :ph34r:

Sorry Wazat the events would be in Durban, but it would give you an excuse to find more caches in Durban.

signalsmile.gif *************************************************************************************************************************************** signalsmile.gif

DrDM & Raider (that's us) are sponsoring a coin for the best cache in Kwazulu Natal for 2011.

In order to qualify to win this un-activated coin, you simply need to go out and plant a good quality cache in Kwazulu Natal.

* The winner will decided via a voting process at the end of the year.

* Bonus votes might be awarded if the cache forms part of the "Bakers Dozen Challenge 2011"

[ The judges' decision (that's us) will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. ]

So, go out there and plant some good quality caches!

Link to coin:

http://shop.spacecoa...LoveStamp_N.jpg

signalsmile.gif *************************************************************************************************************************************** signalsmile.gif

DrDM & Raider (that's us) are sponsoring a coin

Cool :)

How about making one of the judging criteria the number of fave points awarded on the GC cache listing? That will allow all finders to participate - not just those in the ballot.

(The judges decision can still be final) :D

My 2c

PT

The judges' decision (that's us) will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.

rolleyes.gif

DrDM & Raider (that's us) are sponsoring a coin for the best cache in Kwazulu Natal for 2011.

In order to qualify to win this un-activated coin, you simply need to go out and plant a good quality cache in Kwazulu Natal.

* The winner will decided via a voting process at the end of the year.

* Bonus votes might be awarded if the cache forms part of the "Bakers Dozen Challenge 2011"

[ The judges' decision (that's us) will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. ]

So, go out there and plant some good quality caches!

Link to coin:

http://shop.spacecoa...LoveStamp_N.jpg

So exactly how do you know which is the best cache if you have not done it... Maybe there is a cache that no-one will do.... and miss out on a complete gem.... only to be discovered many moons later.... Way after the end of the year is over.... These things happen... Anyway added another to my dozen.... or am i going for the gross.... mmm

So exactly how do you know which is the best cache if you have not done it... Maybe there is a cache that no-one will do.... and miss out on a complete gem.... only to be discovered many moons later.... Way after the end of the year is over.... These things happen... Anyway added another to my dozen.... or am i going for the gross.... mmm

The judges' decision (that's us) will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. :rolleyes:

We will coordinate the voting to fall in line with the new favourites feature of the website - not the same - but similar...

Maybe there is a cache that no-one will do.

If it's a good cache - surely people will go out and find it ? (Or it might be a good cache but crap write-up/or both?)

(Or people might just not want to go out and find them...)

The judges' decision (that's us) will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. :rolleyes:

We will coordinate the voting to fall in line with the new favourites feature of the website - not the same - but similar...

Maybe there is a cache that no-one will do.

If it's a good cache - surely people will go out and find it ? (Or it might be a good cache but crap write-up/or both?)

(Or people might just not want to go out and find them...)

Ah but it might be too much for most and they just don't get there because it is:

a) Too high in the mountains

B) Too far to travel

c) Too hard to solve

D) Too well hidden

e) Some newbie cacher just said TFTC in his log....

This could be tough.... have fun.... :)

We are going to be travelling from Zinkwazi to Jhb this coming Friday and have decided to make it a caching trip of about 3 days. The first day we shall spend in the Kloof area and then move on. Has anyone got some suggestions on the routes to go on and the caches to find. Thanks Allan

For the programmers .....

A wife asks her husband, a programmer; "Could you please go shopping for me and buy one carton of milk, and if they have eggs, get 6!"

A short time later the husband comes back with 6 cartons of milk.

The wife asks him, "Why the hell did you buy 6 cartons of milk?"

He replied, "They had eggs."

Hi Guys,

I was involved in a very unfortunate car accident a few weeks ago. My excess was very high, and unfortunately I didn't budget for this, as it was just after the festive season.

Anyhow, I'm gonna have to sell my Garmin Oregon 550, which I bought just before christmas 2010. Its about three months old. I bought it for R 5, 500-00 from DueSouth in Gateway. Thinking of letting it go for R 4, 000-00.

Inbox me if you are interested.

Regards,

WVermaak86

Anyhow, I'm gonna have to sell my Garmin Oregon 550, which I bought just before christmas 2010. Its about three months old. I bought it for R 5, 500-00 from DueSouth in Gateway. Thinking of letting it go for R 4, 000-00.

Eish Wynand, sorry to hear about the prang. If I hear of anyone looking for an Oregon, I'll let you know. I am enjoying mine very much.

But - a cautionary note - they can be had for less than your asking if the buyer wants to get direct from the US. It may be better to go see your bank manager :)

PT

For the programmers .....

A wife asks her husband, a programmer; "Could you please go shopping for me and buy one carton of milk, and if they have eggs, get 6!"

A short time later the husband comes back with 6 cartons of milk.

The wife asks him, "Why the hell did you buy 6 cartons of milk?"

He replied, "They had eggs."

:P

Just giving the Sandpit cachers a heads up, that I plan to host a CITO event on the 30th April 2011 or 1st May 2011 to coincide with International CITO weekend.

I know its a long weekend, but thats why I am giving a heads up.

:D

:P

Just giving the Sandpit cachers a heads up, that I plan to host a CITO event on the 30th April 2011 or 1st May 2011 to coincide with International CITO weekend.

I know its a long weekend, but thats why I am giving a heads up.

:D

Funny already discussed this with others...

I was thinking of the same thing but ..... Ahem, Newcastle is the Greenest City in the province again.... so will have to come help you guys then.....