The Sandpit

Noddy

Soliciting - nope - I think this is just begging :P

OK then - malice perhaps from the cacher that placed the TB's in the prison? hehe :P Looks as though wazat chose the cache carefully before placing them there in order to give his TB racer a head start! :blink::):D

Nothing of the sort... As far as I recall a certain owner of the cache asked me to drop them there... LOL. He will fetch them soon. But with the heavy rains recently I am almost certain I saw an all too familiar container floating down the river while I was Waymarking a truss bridge in Estcourt... Unfortunately the museum where the cache is placed has been closed for renovation for 2010 and will be opened again on the 1st of June 2010 I think. Could not access as there are some serious looking dogs on the premises. I thought they would let me in but they were chewing happily on something plastic and growled when I got near.... Oooooops.

:rolleyes:

Hi Guys.

I just want to inform you that I had a conversation with 1000 Hills Tourism yesterday when I tried to get permission on a particular cache. They liked geocaching so much so, that a Geocaching.com add is going to be included (Fish Eagle will check the final proposal) in the 2010 1000 Hills brochure free off charge that are being printed next week. They also invited me to the committee meeting this Saturday to explain Geocaching to the rest. We are also looking at an event to promote Geocaching in the 1000 Hills.

:rolleyes:

Hi Guys.

I just want to inform you that I had a conversation with 1000 Hills Tourism yesterday when I tried to get permission on a particular cache. They liked geocaching so much so, that a Geocaching.com add is going to be included (Fish Eagle will check the final proposal) in the 2010 1000 Hills brochure free off charge that are being printed next week. They also invited me to the committee meeting this Saturday to explain Geocaching to the rest. We are also looking at an event to promote Geocaching in the 1000 Hills.

Hey thats great news guys

Hey Sandpitters! I will be in Ballito 16-18 October - the first time I will set foot on KZN soil since the early 90s! I was hoping to do a bit of caching while I'm there, but unfortunately it looks like I'll be picked up by a shuttle at the airport on Friday afternoon, driven to Ballito, where I'll be kept busy until Sunday before being driven back to the airport.

With no caches nearby the hotel which I can reasonably reach by foot, I was thinking of flying to Durbs early on Friday morning, renting a car and doing a bit of caching. But it would be great if I could go caching for a bit with some local cachers, who'll know the area better than I do.

The exact details of my trip are a bit fuzzy at the moment, but I was thinking about a pick-up at the airport, caching and dropping me off at the airport again later, or even caching up the coast and dropping me off at Ballito (with compensation for time & fuel, of course!). So far it looks like it'll have to be Friday morning to afternoon, but it's possible that I can have Sunday afternoon off as well, which would certainly be easier.

Is anyone interested in joining me for my Epic KZN Caching Experience ?

It could certainly be a big one. Just chatting to 4 other cachers, there are 25 out there hidden and waiting.

Just 7 more sleeps... Anyone out there gonna discuss strategy?

I was thinking...

1) We all meet at location x for breakfast.

2) I lock you all inside (have to make it a tricky lock - otherwise Skyjuggler will escape...)

3) Then take our time to find all the caches while the rest are locked in.

Then again - that will give the people time to solve the mysteries... nuts...

have to go with Plan B then...

:blink:

A cunning plan good sir...

The interesting thing: In your post, you've mentioned how you'll need to solve a certain mystery cache that's on the way.... :D

That'll keep you thinking for the next couple of days :P

Unfortunately, I'm going to have a bit of a broken day caching with other engagements... I may just have to warp the cache/time continuum... again! :(

CHALLENGE

Geocaching Spring Growth Update

As of the last stats (Friday), the following caches have been placed. Hopefully a few more got placed over the weekend. There still is time so skip work, miss dinner, avoid gym but get them placed.

Skyjuggler 4

Die Pienaars 3

Noddy 10

Boris 3

Rhino & Hedgehog 4

DRDM & Raider 5

Shaka & Shakespeare 6

Bad Ballie 1

Kwenda Tafuta 3

REVIEWED 39

WIPs 2

TOTAL 41

Small problem, postal strike......the coin is in the mail. If anyone chats to Ysbeer, Gerald, BJB, Whostops, Wazat, Gin & Tonic and Puggels / Pixie 28 tell them we need them.

As for strategy, I am planning a CITO cache for the Beach front from 07h00 - 16h00, please be there !!! :D

:(

CHALLENGE

Small problem, postal strike......the coin is in the mail. If anyone chats to Ysbeer, Gerald, BJB, Whostops, Wazat, Gin & Tonic and Puggels / Pixie 28 tell them we need them.

I have had a bit of a dilemma, plans were changed slightly and I now find that there is a problem with the main cache I was placing. This is my 50th cache. The joys about placing caches and finding out eventually when you do the publication, that someone has placed one just in the 160m minimum distance between caches. That was totally unexpected but unbelievably it was done. I now find my cache just too close to another as yet unpublished cache. My trip to the site is on hold and now what was my 50th hide has been put on hold. So with that I have now got what will be an uninspiring hide that will be registered as the 50th. Phah.... So when I finally get back to the actual 50th's site and get it put in the right spot, please do not be surprised when it still gets named the 50th.... Cause theoretically it still was the 50th. My others will be published and be ready by the 5th so have fun guys. Looking forward to a really interesting weekend.

CHALLENGE

I have had a bit of a dilemma, plans were changed slightly and I now find that there is a problem with the main cache I was placing. This is my 50th cache. The joys about placing caches and finding out eventually when you do the publication, that someone has placed one just in the 160m minimum distance between caches. That was totally unexpected but unbelievably it was done. I now find my cache just too close to another as yet unpublished cache. My trip to the site is on hold and now what was my 50th hide has been put on hold. So with that I have now got what will be an uninspiring hide that will be registered as the 50th. Phah.... So when I finally get back to the actual 50th's site and get it put in the right spot, please do not be surprised when it still gets named the 50th.... Cause theoretically it still was the 50th. My others will be published and be ready by the 5th so have fun guys. Looking forward to a really interesting weekend.

Very sad. :)

It was very difficult to give you the bad news, and especially so because it was a special milestone cache.

Had it been just a bit too close, I could have made an exception, but at only 100m it was way beyond my mandate.

I guess that's the downside of accumulating many unpublished caches - great minds think alike!!

I've had an abnormal number of proximity issues with the 5 Sept submissions (more than 10%), and several cache hiders have had disappointments and frustrations.

Hopefully, that will all be forgotten on Saturday.

KZN cachers are going to have a ball, beyond your expectations. :)

I've seen a great mix of caches - some mysteries, some multis, and some super trads too.

Several easy ones, and a few real toughies also.

I'll be emailing the cache owners later today with the drill to prepare for easy and quick publication on Saturday.

As a backstop, in case I have connection/internet problems, I've arranged with one of the US west coast reviewers to check at 06:00 SA time, and publish them if I haven't been able to.

CHALLENGE

:D

I've got 4 up and alomst running - work kept me busy... Now for the Big Saterday FTF Race. B)B)

Following problems at work, with my computer and all sorts.... It turns out this was one of the busiest weeks ever. Next thing I know I have one more to hide and just a few hours to do it in...

Tomorrow's going to be great fun. Thanks to all for organising it...

I tried to get hold of Puggels but her email seems to be down...

Thank you to all KZN cachers for planting new caches for us to find...

Noddy - huge thanks for arranging this!

and to Fish Eagle for publishing 69 caches!

We managed to get 9 FTF's

The best cache of the day (and our entire caching experience) will have to go to Skyjuggler for his "Pylon the Madness".

It felt like a cachers Chrismas in Spring :anibad:

:anibad:

Our idea was to enjoy ourselves, and was it a joll.

Thanks to every one that placed the caches. It is long since we could do 15 caches in one day without travelling long distances and we can cache next weekend and the next and the next for a long time.

Thanks Fish Eagle for publishing the caches so early in the morning.

We had 8 FTF’s in the day.

:laughing:

What a day, I did not do a single one of the new caches submitted but still manged to get in 10 FTF's in the last 24 hours. Just waiting for another to come through as it was dropped yesterday and the owner needs to publish it. It came as a bonus while I was sitting round catching up on some messages while the owner went for a "walk", he came back and handed me the GPS and said go have a look at this. He had gone and planted a cache while I was not looking. Thanks Gerhard.

It was great to see so many caches have popped up. I was going to place on on Thursday at one of the sites listed but ran out of time and planning. Maybe next weekend I can go find it.

Well done guys on all the new caches and to everyone on all the finds.... great stuff. I forsee a good month for everyone with a few more FTF's still up for grabs.... the drive should last a few days still. Enjoy.

What a great day and a great weekend. I think not only did the initiative increase the number of caches, but it also seemed to bring out the imagination as well.

What I thought was cool is I started in Pinetown and moved inland. Had a few FTF's then I obviously passed Diepienaars. There were no longer empty logs, just ones with their name on it. I'm sure it happened all over KZN.

Yet another vote of thanks to Noddy for the idea and Fisheagle for his involvement.

I look forward to the next couple of weeks when the harder guys begin to fall...

CHALLENGE

A very big THANK YOU to one and all for making making the above, such a huge success. The final stats are as follows.

Skyjuggler 5

Die Pienaars 5

Noddy 15

Boris 5

Rhino & Hedgehog 4

DRDM & Raider 5

Shaka & Shakespeare 6

Bad Ballie 2

Kwenda Tafuta 5

Gerald 4

Dillylama 5

Ysbeer 4

Wazat 4

TOTAL 69

I will put together an event cache soon, where we can swop stories and have the draw for the prize.

THANKS

:lol:

Edited by Noddy

are those the FTF or the number of caches done by each person

Number of caches published on that day. I managed to FTF on at least 3 of them so far. Although there were 10 others in KZN that I did get to FTF in the same weekend. 3 of my caches that were placed were submitted just before the publication and one the night before. 3 were placed the day before publication and 1 in March..... hee hee. My 50th cache is still awaiting movement as it was too close to someone else cache when i submitted it. Even so I think it would still be a while before it would get found as it is a sneaky puzzle.

As a matter of interest what are the FTF stats for KZN this month. I am sure Dr DM and Raider got quite a few!

Just a reminder to all sandpit dwellers that there will be a travel bug race starting at the Annual KZN Christmas get together ( venue and details to follow).

The race will start at the event and conclude at the following years Christmas event.

The rules are simple.....

1) TB to attend the event.

2) Most Miles Wins!

3) There are no more rules.

Other provinices can enter TB's and the provincial team race. (details to follow)

Yes it’s that time of the year. :D

We want to start planning the Sandpit Christmas Event. Make a booking in your diaries for the 05 Dec 09 at around 11h00 onwards. We will finalise the venue and time later, but the theme would be again like last year with a “bring en braai” and a toy collection to help the Toy story campaign

This event will also be the TB race start that Rhino and Hedgehog are mentioning.