The Sandpit

Noddy

Today's the day that the "special" TB will be dropped at a cache near you - if you feel the ground tremor, then you will know that it has just been dropped! :rolleyes:

I have managed to marshall a team of cachers with lifting equipment and backup medical crew to help me place the TB in its new home - Broken Beyond Repair! Be careful when you retrieve the TB - you might also be broken beyond repair!

Good luck!

Edited by Blackjack Bailey

Ok all you Sandpitters, the deed is done! The esteemed TB is now resident in a KZN cache - GC1KTM3.Good luck to the brave cacher who retrieves it!

What no pictures on the cache page or TB page, thats just not cricket guys come on. ;):anibad:

Oh no, we can't do that (yet, anyway), coz that would give away our secret method of getting it there!

Brilliant!!! I giggled (manly-like) for a long time after looking at this bug's page. I love it... I'm going to set about picking it up...

A cacher tried to get it today but alas, his back-pack is now Broken Beyond Repair. (Pictures on the cache listing) Sorry Dilly:)

Nice one Fish eagle

The gauntlet has been thrown... Watch this space. Just re-inforcing my backpack.

This is the one TB, everyone in SA should try and move at least to one other cache. Take a few team members with. That TB gets mighty heavy after a while!

Its weight proportionally increases from the time it has left mother earth.

Have fun, and looking forward to your feedback.

Dang it! Watch this space a little longer. Went out caching with Rhino and planned to at least check it out on the way back. Unfortunately I had an argument with my legs who refused to take me any further away from the car park than they had to!

As they were my only mode of transport, I had to do what they said! But... It's days are numbered :)

Yeah happy Birthday man. It's a sad state of affairs when I find out on a forum that it was your birthday.

As for being carried out of the gorge, we had a bit of a standing joke. I was lucky enough to have a spare log book and a geocoin on me, so push comes to shove, I roll off the path, Rhino takes my co-ords and somebody should be around in under 12 hours! :)

Right, back to a certain bug...

The methods been devised, the equipment prepared, the route chosen and the destination decided.

I took a drive around today to decide where it was going, when I found the right cache I made sure I didn't sign the log, so I have some incentive to go back...

This time tomorrow the XXX TB should be resting in it's new hiding place. Either that or I'll be hidden and in my "final" resting place :blink:

This time tomorrow the XXX TB should be resting in it's new hiding place.

Done. All the things I have to say about it are on the TB page and the cache logs.

It took about 4 hours to get from "Broken" to "Willow's Way". Although I did also place a cache inbetween.

It's gonna take a lot longer to recover :antenna:

Well done, Skyjuggler, on your immense feat! You have now earned your stripes...

Now that the bug has been removed from its first KZN cache, I can now publish the pictures and videos that Rhino and I took when we dropped it there.

This is how we did it: I pushed the wheelbarrow over 1km from the car-park to the chasm, then bagged it. We threw the rope across the chasm and then we hiked down the side of the gorge, along the bottom of the chasm (it was a bit scary, as the rock was poised on the ledge way above our heads) and then up the side of the gorge on the other side of the chasm!

We then tied the rope to a tree to anchor it and I stood on the rope to keep it steady. Then Rhino pulled the rock off the ledge so that it was hanging a few metres below the top of the chasm. Then we pulled on the rope to get the rock onto our side of the chasm! You can download the video of the operation here.

Then we de-bagged the rock and carried it over 50 metres to the edge of another sheer drop, above where the cache is hidden. We dropped the rock over the edge (about 10 metres) and it landed right on target! All I could smell afterwards was the smell of gunpowder (or flint) as the rock hit the other rocks on its way down! The second video (here) indicates the rocks's final resting place, while I start looking for the cache! It shows the serious terrain!

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

Man, I just looked at the pictures and my back began to protest! Then when I heard the dull thud of that %##@$%ing rock hit the cliff face, the fight or flight instinct kicked in. I'm not gonna lie... I choose flight ;)

Anyway, what's up with KZN? A little quiet this end of the world at the moment... Barring Dilly's new cache early this week, nothing else published?

May I whet your appetite with my new cache coming soon? I hope it's going to be Uber exciting. The cache location was inspired while hunting for another cache. I just have to finish the final build (have to learn to weld too) then we're good to go...

Hey Sandpit dwellers, for those of you who like finding caches on mountains, im hopefully off to climb Ben Nevis at the end of June if all goes well. Now im sure its nothing like Cathedral peak its only 1343m asl, but im sure it wont be a walk in the park. The reason for going an event cache GC1EQ1C. If i do end up going ill post a few pictures here.

Just a quick heads up to the Sandpitters (those who like climbing!) - I placed a new cache yesterday (The Boot). It took me 5 hours up and down - granted, I took a few wrong turns along the way.

I thought I should mention it here, as the cache is just over the KZN/Free State border, and most Sandpitters only check for new caches placed in KZN.

As an incentive - if the FTF cacher does not have Premium Membership, I will donate the first year's subscription to that cacher (currently USD30.00). If there is a joint FTF by non-premium cachers, the USD30.00 will have to be shared between them.

No hints for a FTF.

Just a quick heads up to the Sandpitters (those who like climbing!) - I placed a new cache yesterday (The Boot). It took me 5 hours up and down - granted, I took a few wrong turns along the way.

I thought I should mention it here, as the cache is just over the KZN/Free State border, and most Sandpitters only check for new caches placed in KZN.

As an incentive - if the FTF cacher does not have Premium Membership, I will donate the first year's subscription to that cacher (currently USD30.00). If there is a joint FTF by non-premium cachers, the USD30.00 will have to be shared between them.

No hints for a FTF.

...And the FTF honours go to Wazat! Well done Wayne - I just knew that you would rise to the challenge! <_<

Enjoy the benefits of Premium Membership - how you have managed without it so far is amazing.