The Sandpit

Noddy

Have you found any of them missing coins over that side?

funny you should mention that i opened my bag and there was this bag of coins not sure how they got there but im not complaining. The locals here are not to many im yet to make contact with any, there is an event cache towards the 19th near dublin but not sure if we will make it as it is a little soon and transport is still abit of a problem. did 3 lovely ones so far, one was on this HUGE beach which you can do a long walk on about 2.7 km to the cache and same back again, golf course on your right (the divetears would love the course) and sea on the left. weather has been fine overcast but fine with some sunny days, must be because we bought a umbrella

Dude I can't tell a lie, I put that bag of coins in your backpack while we were on our way up Cathedral Peak... Now you know why I struggled up till lunch time..... LOL. Girry was in on it too. I snuck them in your bag while you were munching them lekker tuna sarmies.... After that the peak was a chinch to reach with the weight gone from my pack........ It was a well planned ploy to get that there FTF....

Hey got the disc in the post today.... Thanks dude it was awesome. I actually saw the mountain this afternoon from Bergville. I was wanting to go and do a quick maintenance on the cache but it looked a bit wet up there..... If I work it out right I should have been close to the top by now.

Hi Wazat,

GCM8YC Amajuba Plateau - are you ready to call a date for our planned assault yet?

I'm OK for either 20/21 or 27/28 Oct, either Sat or Sun - your call....

I know it's nothing like Cathedral Peak, but it will be for me.

I'm keen to entice some other suckers - to carry our refreshments up the mountain :);):)

Brings back fond memories of a recent outing to GCGYQA North West's Best View.

We all met in the parking lot, shook hands, and attacked the mountain.

Made some great new friends - what a blast!! :DB)B)

PS: Please give directions to KZN - we'd hate to be late! B)

OK this is getting a bit hectic. I have put out the word and some people cannot make it for those weekends but as you initiated this I will have to go with either of them two weekends. I am aiming towards the last weekend as people should have been paid by then. I am hoping that the other parties interested can make the trip as I would love to get a bunch of us together for this. Maybe even push it as an event. As I have not yet attended an event yet I am unsure what exactly happens at one. So as a newbie I am not sure if I can class it as an event cache or just a general get-together. I think that I will stick with the last weekend and as you mentioned staying over at Utrecht that might be a good starting spot for it. Majuba is not that far from Utrecht and I already have 3 caches in the Utrecht area of which only one has been found so far. There is a great camp site at Utrecht and there are self catering chalets available. I really wish I could get everyone up/down for the same weekend but it is difficult to do. So lets see a show of hands, who is keen?

Haa haa batsgonemad very funny. The trick is for the guys to find the ones I hide. Co-ordinates might be off on some. Besides my GPS just broke last Sunday after I was caught in a bit of rain at Worlds view. Speaking of worlds view, did you perhaps scrawl on one of the railings. It's says 'bat loves kash'.....

not likely :huh:

I look on with a yearning to one day reach them numbers, they look so far away. But in my neck of the woods it is a long and dry drought that holds me back. I think I might just overtake my finds with hides one day. I think geez it has taken me a few months just to reach anywhere close to 50. I'm on 47 finds at the time of writing. Plus if I had to have found the 8 that I DNF it would still be a long way off... Then this comes along and pops my bubble.... TeamAlamo

Take a look at the stats he has compiled at the bottom of the page.....

But alas I won't let that deter me on my mission to find some more caches, although I sometimes travel a few 100 kilos just to find them.... Hopefully some kind cachers attending my event at the end of the month will forget a container or two in the area for me to go find.....

Edited by Wazat
:D Hi Wazat, by the time you read this mail they would probably have reached 25000 caches. Enough to make any grown man cry... I just wonder whether they enjoy it as much as you do. Typical Americans - have to prove that they can do it better and faster than anybody else, I suppose they are sponsored by (STP) oil company.

Last weekend I was in the berg and I was really struck how beautiful our province is - The other week I had a weekend in Capetown and thought they have so many places for caches that can be visited every weekend - like wine farms etc.... Our province is not like that - we are much more rural and maybe our caches will not be visited every month - but boy they will offer the cacher a view / memory of the cache for alot longer! So boys of our province don't give up - get out there - go to the berg, go to the midlands and find some winner places! We may not have the quantity of the other centers but we will have quality - Happy caching and look forward to discovering what you have found. R&H

Where do I sign up? No seriously! I think we need to do them after Summer though. It's a bit late now. Storms up there will make it very risky. But count me in bud. Gotta train for Kili, right? Just Climb it is also daunting.... But that is possibly an easier one to attack cause it is not such a long slog.

Hey Sandpit people, we need your help with our race TB. It is inyour neighbourhood and needs some serious help to avoid the chop this month.

It is in GC169P2 Umlalazi Nature Reserve. Umlalazi Nature Reserve, this lovely coastal reserve is conveniently situated one km from Mtunzini on the KwaZulu-Natal North Coast.

This is a new cache with only 2 finds, so it will be worth the drive!!!

We would very much appreciate your help!!!

Hi colinaly,

Done!

I had just found my 99th cache in Mtunzini today, and I was planning to do my 100th at the Amajuba Mountain cache on Saturday (Northern KZN Event). As I was sitting at the Fat Cat having lunch, I checked the Groundspeak Forum on my PDA only to see your plaintive post, and it was just around the corner from where I was!

How could I not do it?

We'll still celebrate on Saturday, though!

Good point. Why is this place called the KZN Sandpit.

Loads of sand on the beaches => (Therefore) Sandpit.

That or the fact that most people have grown up and moved out of the sandpit, but some juniors still remain playing in the sand and thinking that they count. :huh::lol: I mean you lead cacher is named after a .... (should probably stop here)

HEHEHE....

Thanks Bats.... I am not frustrated anymore. Found a 5* difficulty cache in the Berg today with the Etrex. It was almost spot on the co-ords given with a 4m accuracy under the heavy foliage and a very overcast sky. OK I was initially barking up the wrong tree as I found a hole in the first one. Had to phone the only previous finder I knew who happened to find it first two years back. I had the wrong tree as per the clue I got. Then not more than 3 or 4 meter away was the right hiding spot. Checked the GPS, spot on again.

What was tough about it? LOL. Actually the toughest part was keeping my underwear clean on that one as a couple of wild pigs came charging through the foliage right towards me as I was on my way back from the cache. They were grunting angrily as they came tearing through the undergrowth. I think that my panicked shriek and equally ferocious grunts were just as daunting as they came to a halt only meters away from me. That's what makes caching fun I guess....

It seems like that there is going to be a bit more action in the Northern KZN region as we have a re-activated cacher in Bosluis from Ladysmith and the other been a new cacher I think in the Newcastle area by the name Subterranean Homesick Blues. So hopefully there is gonna be some action up this side and more caches hopefully. At last my hopes are up to catch up to all of you. Maybe I will reach the 100 caches before the end of the year......

Hey guys,

Here is my Chrismas challange 2007 to all of you... Brett and Noddy placed a total of 17, I did 6 what about the others.

Lets us all target at least 5 before the silly season. What do you say??

lets go guys...

Well, I've risen to the challenge - placed 5 since.

I see that nobody has the courage/stamina to tackle my Inhlosane Mountain Cache (GC17ZDJ)! :) At least you can tell others that you've scrambled all over a nipple!

Edited by Neville Bailey

There is a good possibility that those who are up to climbing all over the said nipple are a good few hundred kilos worth of travel away otherwise it would have been done by now. The other possible candidate is sitting in the UK wondering what to do with his nipples due to the cold weather...... Haa haaa haaa.

Hey did I not place a few? 2 in Ladysmith one at Vaalkrans and replaced another at thorny issue to get an archived cache active.... Mmmm time to place more.... Hee hee. Loads of places to place them but now that other cachers are getting active in my area i hope they beat me to it.

Hi there. We were down in KZN for a bit of a rest. Did a some hunting in and around Newcastle. What a lekker place to live in. Could not get the one on Twins, took our 6 year old godson with and that was the end of the hunt. Had a gr8 time in the lower Berg and opened a new one in a cave that we had to sleep over in after we could not cross the river. It rained a lot the night before.

The guys down in KZN, you rock!!!!! Lovely hunting and you get to see a lot of the aria that way.

Thax

Toekie-Toekie.

Wow, and did you guys go caching. I just saw every cache bar one get at least two finds each. I realised then that we had a new cacher introduced in Newcastle. But my joy is going to be short lived as they are moving. Thanks for the positive reaction on our caches. Glad you enjoyed it. Now just to get other cachers here. I'm moving towards so interesting hides in the future and might possibly change one to a multi with quite a twist in it. So people keep a look out for some new caches hitting this area soon.

And with regards to Mitre, I am waiting for Rhino and Hedgehog to return and the weather to change. So thanks to toekie-toekie for giving us an extra bonus along the way.

And to all the cachers out there may you all have a prosperous and fun new year, from the cacher in the bundus.....

Wow, and did you guys go caching. I just saw every cache bar one get at least two finds each. I realised then that we had a new cacher introduced in Newcastle. But my joy is going to be short lived as they are moving. Thanks for the positive reaction on our caches. Glad you enjoyed it. Now just to get other cachers here. I'm moving towards so interesting hides in the future and might possibly change one to a multi with quite a twist in it. So people keep a look out for some new caches hitting this area soon.

And with regards to Mitre, I am waiting for Rhino and Hedgehog to return and the weather to change. So thanks to toekie-toekie for giving us an extra bonus along the way.

And to all the cachers out there may you all have a prosperous and fun new year, from the cacher in the bundus.....

Hi there, please keep us in mind when you plan to go look for Twins and the Mitre, we still want to get there in the first half of this year. We are bound to school holidays as my wife is a teacher, so April would suit us well. We also want to go check on our cache in the cave so if you can find that, it will be great!

Toekie-Toekie