Surveying Books

k5knt

In doing a search, I found someone had posted a similar question and received very few answers. I hope I will have better luck. I have the downloads from the NGS site that were mentioned in one of the responses, like Geodesy for the Layman. Other than those, what are some good beginner books on surveying that might help in benchmark hunting?

Thanks,

Kent

Go to a used book store and find an older textbook on surveying. I like my 1960's Davis, Foote, and Kelly.

Newer books have too many advances to cover so they may not dwell on the techniques that were used back when the majority of benchmarks were set.

This is not necessary for becoming a good benchmark hunter, but most people who enjoy getting into the details of something will find great entertainment in reading how leveling and triangulation are done. My book includes some good pictures of crews at work in clothes that look quaint--well before lime green vests!

In doing a search, I found someone had posted a similar question and received very few answers. I hope I will have better luck. I have the downloads from the NGS site that were mentioned in one of the responses, like Geodesy for the Layman. Other than those, what are some good beginner books on surveying that might help in benchmark hunting?

Thanks,

Kent

I went to Amazon.com and found Schaum's Outline of Introductory Surveying by Roy Wirshing, James R. Wirshing. It has helped me understand surveying a lot better. It’s old school in that is has little if anything about electronic distance measuring and nothing about GPS. Copyright 1985.