An Absolute Outrage!

nwjeeper

I wonder if this is some of the reason for this moron's behavior.

This is directly from his profile: ** Biography **

I am an average sort, just celebrated 58th year of nothing spectaculiar

There is something wrong with a person who believes this

Don't be silly. There's nothing wrong with modestly, or saying, thinking or knowing that you're an average guy, and that you haven't done anything spectacular. That pretty much describes most of the world.

After checking out the situation I have come to one conclusion.Because some of my caches have dissapeared I should grab some other cachers cache and hold it hostage until mine is replaced.Always thought it was some wild critter that took them but now I'm not sure.The same is true for my missing TB.I will hold the next one I find hostage !!!!! Just kidding :blink: .Im just thankful that this is an isolated incident and not all cachers think the way this one does.

After checking out the situation I have come to one conclusion.Because some of my caches have dissapeared I should grab some other cachers cache and hold it hostage until mine is replaced.Always thought it was some wild critter that took them but now I'm not sure.

Hmmm....I had a film cannister that I replaced twice because it was gnawed to bits. I thought those teeth marks were from a squirrel, but you've got me wondering now....disgruntled cachers? :D:D

I wonder if the guy feels bad about what he did but feels like there's no painless way to make it right. He has posted in these forums so there's a good chance that he's reading this thread.

If you are reading this, just take the coin back up that hill and put it in the cache that you got it from. Just that simple.

I'm just saying that I think there's an awful lot of innocent, naive people that are characterized as thieves. Or maybe I'm just naive and there ARE really a bunch of people running around stealing coins and TB's.

I'm surprised you'd have trouble believing such a thing - after all, you yourself have stolen items from a travel bug.

Well you could just give him a phone call... he did put his phone number in one of his previous posts.

chanterelleman Posted on: Jul 30 2005, 08:33 AM

Geocacher

Group: Premium Members

I was involved in an accident Wed. July 28th. My truck was totalled and I might not have transportation to go to the Squilchuck campout. If anyone can help me, I will be glad to help with gas. I have a reservation for one. I would like to bring my dog, Bruno. I live in Bonney Lake. I can be reached at (253) 862-8231

Maybe in his 59th year he will learn courtesy and how play nice with others.

-Jim

I appreciate the OP's frustration but isn't this a little premature? People say things all the time they don't mean, especially when they're upset or angry. I looked at his profile and he seems to have done a good job so far at moving trackables and being a honorable geocacher. I think we should give him a chance to do the right thing before we start the name calling and character assassination.

He said he was releasing the coin - is it free yet? he hasn't taken up my coin offer to do it either. So i'll resind the adoption notice if no reply by the weekend - but i'm not sure i can do that once it's completed?

I can't see the coin out or even in his hands. I've sent email and I guess i just reactivate the coin if he fails to complete but I don't think this will happen - who is in position to verify the release?

Edited by forthferalz

I appreciate the OP's frustration but isn't this a little premature? People say things all the time they don't mean, especially when they're upset or angry. I looked at his profile and he seems to have done a good job so far at moving trackables and being a honorable geocacher. I think we should give him a chance to do the right thing before we start the name calling and character assassination.

Please don't misunderstand my post as a defense of chanterelleman, it's not. I was only suggesting that given a little time he might change his mind and do the right thing.

He said he was releasing the coin - is it free yet? he hasn't taken up my coin offer to do it either. So i'll resind the adoption notice if no reply by the weekend - but i'm not sure i can do that once it's completed?

I can't see the coin out or even in his hands. I've sent email and I guess i just reactivate the coin if he fails to complete but I don't think this will happen - who is in position to verify the release?

I'm really sorry forthferalz, I've read this several times, re-read the topic and the cache page and read your post again and I still can't understand what you're trying to say, or what it has to do with my post.

Or maybe I'm just naive and there ARE really a bunch of people running around stealing coins and TB's. I do remember a thread about a guy that came clean after stealing several hundred TB's (but I'd like to think that he's not the norm)

Unfortunately you're naive. There are coin theives operating in many areas.

I think the vast majority are unintentional, not intentional. I like your attitude though. Is it a requirement to be a jerk to be a moderator in these forums? I took a long time off from the forums and returned and tried to engage in conversation and I get confronted with the exact reason I stopped posting. Do you not get enough respect in real life that you have to take it out on people in these forums?

Edited by ReadyOrNot

I like your attitude though. Is it a requirement to be a jerk to be a moderator in these forums?

Wow, now there's a thin skin! Seriously, if you think that qualifies as being a jerk, well, you really are naive. And far too sensitive.

I like your attitude though. Is it a requirement to be a jerk to be a moderator in these forums?

Wow, now there's a thin skin! Seriously, if you think that qualifies as being a jerk, well, you really are naive. And far too sensitive.

Oh, he (R-o-N) always talks that way. I've stopped paying attention.

I'm really sorry forthferalz, I've read this several times, re-read the topic and the cache page and read your post again and I still can't understand what you're trying to say, or what it has to do with my post.

sorry to confuse - i edited my log on teh cache to make it clearer. HE HAS CHANGED HIS MIND! He changed it when i emailed him. HE IS SETTING MOJO COIN FREE WITH NO REGRETS - probably this weekend. but still hasn't actually even logged it into his own inventory so I bumped him yesterday to do that. HE HAS LOST TWO COINS. So I offerred to adopt him my dorkfish but he declined, so I pressed my spinning coin on him TO HELP ME ALSO LEARN TO SET THEM FREE ( which raises an ineresting point about ownership - Does it really matter whose coin it is if it is on the web travelling for all to watch and enjoy? Eden-like prehistory when everything belonged to everyone and no one. It relies on a basic situation of plenty - only percieved shortage makes us hoard food, territory, mates ...coins?

I still have the activation code so i can start again if it falls through. TBVZ3W is the spin coin.

sorry to confuse - i edited my log on teh cache to make it clearer. HE HAS CHANGED HIS MIND! He changed it when i emailed him. HE IS SETTING MOJO COIN FREE WITH NO REGRETS - probably this weekend. but still hasn't actually even logged it into his own inventory so I bumped him yesterday to do that.

That is good news! I put the Mojo coin on my watchlist and I look forward following it's travels. Thank you forthferalz for your efforts.

I'd rather be called a jerk than naive. Might as well call me stupid. I've come to expect all the little brown-nosers to fall in line behind the rude moderators in these forums... Just my opinion, but I'm not alone. I wouldn't say my skin is thin, I do keep coming back afterall.

Thanks for chiming in Neos2.. You've added too sensitive and naive.. You are a jerk also.. Keep in mind, I didn't start the name calling, but you folks are too ignorant (see, I can do it too) to see that.. Even if it requires scrolling a few comments up to verify....

Typical.. Typical..

Cache on

I'd rather be called a jerk than naive. Might as well call me stupid. I've come to expect all the little brown-nosers to fall in line behind the rude moderators in these forums... Just my opinion, but I'm not alone. I wouldn't say my skin is thin, I do keep coming back afterall.

Thanks for chiming in Neos2.. You've added too sensitive and naive.. You are a jerk also.. Keep in mind, I didn't start the name calling, but you folks are too ignorant (see, I can do it too) to see that.. Even if it requires scrolling a few comments up to verify....

Typical.. Typical..

Cache on

Better try that scrolling up thing you mention Ready or Not, I said nothing about your sensitivity or your naïvety. I said you always talk "that way" -- I won't qualify what way I mean exactly.

I would suggest an interesting exercise, though, (for anyone who makes regular posts to any forum, actually): It can be an eye-opening experience to pull up your own posts and read through them with an open mind. Sometimes that helps to you understand how you come off to others. I do it myself from time to time. It helps me keep my 'altitude' at the right level :unsure:

I took a long time off from the forums and returned and tried to engage in conversation and I get confronted with the exact reason I stopped posting.

I think we have an answer to the question, "Ready or Not?"

For everyone else, I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

sorry to confuse - i edited my log on teh cache to make it clearer. HE HAS CHANGED HIS MIND! He changed it when i emailed him. HE IS SETTING MOJO COIN FREE WITH NO REGRETS - probably this weekend. but still hasn't actually even logged it into his own inventory so I bumped him yesterday to do that.

That is good news! I put the Mojo coin on my watchlist and I look forward following it's travels. Thank you forthferalz for your efforts.

GETTING BACK TO THE TOPIC:

I got no reply from the guys who took his coin from the GC cache. Want to bump them? So will someone else who knows about terracaching try unhook his other coin?

I'd rather be called a jerk than naive. Might as well call me stupid.

How so? "Naive" and "stupid" don't have even remotely similar meanings.

In any case, you're the one who initially used the term to describe yourself, and I'm baffled as to how you're interpreting the response you got as "rude". The conversation, to MY reading, went like this (paraphrased for brevity and to make it clear how it came across to me):

<general conversation> "It's an outrage, somebody stole a coin."

<you> "I don't think people steal coins, but maybe I'm naive in thinking that; maybe there really are people stealing coins on purpose."

<brian> "Unfortunately, yes, it's naive to think that, because there ARE real thieves out there."

I just don't get how that can be interpreted as being deliberately rude or insulting.

OTOH, unfortunately, you directly calling people "jerks", "brownnosers", and "ignorant" is impossible to interpret any way but as deliberate.

Edited by cimawr

If you'd like to discuss ReadyOrNot's posting style and whether he was "attacked," please have that conversation via PM or e-mail. That way, he can answer you.

Gotcha.

(Btw, I don't mind removing the post, if you'd prefer. :tired: )

Let's get this topic back on track to discussing geocoin theft.

I've bought a few coins, and I have to admit I'm a bit reluctant to release them due to the possibility of theft. What I'd like to know is what they gain by stealing them; as mentioned up-thread - what on earth can someone DO with a stolen activated coin, other than gloat over it in secret?

Are there collectors out there who buy them in some way that's not trackable?

GETTING BACK TO THE TOPIC:

I got no reply from the guys who took his coin from the GC cache. Want to bump them? So will someone else who knows about terracaching try unhook his other coin?

I certainly hope he appreciates all the work you've done on his behalf......

It took me awhile to find it but I checked the TC he left the USA coin in and no one has logged the cache since, so the coin should still be there. However, in his log, he indicates that he traded the coin for an item in the cache and he posted the coin number and the activation code in his log?! If this coin is found someone could easily think it was intended to be swag instead of a trackable.

A very nice hike. My r/t time was about 41/2 hours including time to hunt the cache. While looking around the very large erratics, I found what could be a cat lair. I ate some of the large blue huckelberries. I traded a 2004 USA Geocoin, Tracking # *****, Activation Code ****** for a bottle of Jack. Thanks Yukon Jack.

He really needs to edit this log and make his intentions clear (and remove the codes!).

On the coin he placed in the geocache, he needs to correctly log it into the cache. The people that took it haven't, really, found any caches since they got the coin, I think they'll move it along when they get the chance.

And, of course, he needs to log the Mojo coin out correctly, with a nice note about how he's going to move it to another cache. Then quickly move it to another cache, and correctly log it into that cache.

Then, hopefully, this thread can die a happy death.

hi mtn goat,

no effort - beats housework any day:)

I've been on the recieving end a fair bit - it's nice to be able to help out a tiny bit too.

thanks for the update. yep sounds like the terracache coin went fair swap for a bottle of something nice. he put the coin number up - in fact both of them did! on the pinnacle cache - geocoins don't exactly ship with an instruction booklet do they?

Goodnews - chanterelleman's #2 USA coin has been found and released. He's still hasn't loggedthe mojo coin though and so my spinner is sitting in my cupboard still.

The coin insert didn't catch up with it- I hope the next finder or cache owner will print out and add to the coin.

Making some instruction booklets for downloadsdf7778ed-8435-4f95-977c-0ed0916f87c9.jpg

Edited by forthferalz

If you look at the logs for the three USA coins he has registered, it is easy to make a case that he is simply clueless...

Dave_W6DPS

Unfortunately, he or she has nonetheless invoked/created massive amounts of bad karma as a result of her/his bizarrre and foolish retaliatory actions, and thus she or he is doomed to be reincarnated for 504 lifetimes as a moldy, mildewed broken yellow plastic McToy Travel Bug which will get stuck in TB hotels and fester there, as well as four lifetimes as a little brown field mouse which will nibble these broken plastic travel bugs. Sad, but true.

:ph34r::laughing::ph34r:

Unfortunately, he or she has nonetheless invoked/created massive amounts of bad karma as a result of her/his bizarrre and foolish retaliatory actions, and thus she or he is doomed to be reincarnated for 504 lifetimes as a moldy, mildewed broken yellow plastic McToy Travel Bug which will get stuck in TB hotels and fester there, as well as four lifetimes as a little brown field mouse which will nibble these broken plastic travel bugs. Sad, but true.

So hasn't their recent contrite Earl like actions erased the bad karma ?

:ph34r::laughing::ph34r:

Thanks for the update forthferalz. It looks like we get a happy ending after all. I was beginning to wonder....

It does amaze me that someone with 400+ finds would have so much trouble figuring out how to log coins and TBs, and how things work in general. I see his other hobby is collecting mushrooms, a far less forgiving activity.

Again thanks for your efforts, which I think were largely responsible for the good outcome. :laughing:

Thanks for the update forthferalz. It looks like we get a happy ending after all. I was beginning to wonder....

It does amaze me that someone with 400+ finds would have so much trouble figuring out how to log coins and TBs, and how things work in general. I see his other hobby is collecting mushrooms, a far less forgiving activity.

Again thanks for your efforts, which I think were largely responsible for the good outcome. :laughing:

karma'sefforts:) onelast page to the story - I have to release the spinning coin now -see chanterelleman is helping meout to learn to trustaswell;) watch our coins with us- they are out there foreveryone's enjoyment