An Absolute Outrage!

nwjeeper

Y'know... since his original three coins were sent off to travel anyway... he didn't actually "lose" anything whatsoever. He released them from being physically in his hands. So they're not travelling any more... oh no. It's not like you had them sitting in a coin-collecting sleeve in a book on your coffee table anyway. It's not like you're any closer to them now than you were when they weren't stolen.

Keeping the coins that he finds is just... so hideously, hideously arse-backwards, it boggles the mind. I can only fathom the thought-process that must have been needed for that one.

EDIT: Just looked at the three coins. Zero miles travelled, and the location is listed as "Recently Spotted: In the hands of the owner."

Way to place an item :rolleyes:

Edited by Kabuthunk

If you look at the logs for the three USA coins he has registered, it is easy to make a case that he is simply clueless...

Dave_W6DPS

"I placed this coin in the Heather Lake TC. My intention was to place it in the geocache nearby , but I did not have time to go there. It was late and I did not want to be headed back in the dark."

So he didn't even place it into a cache? :rolleyes:

Maybe TC means Terracache.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Just started caching in NC and have seen some of the Geo Coins. Not sure as to there purpose. Are they kind of like travel bugs? My kids wanted them but they looked offical so I let them get a happy meal toy. Is there a Q&A on Geo Coins? Thanks

For the most part, yes, geocoins work just like travelbugs. To find out more please visit the geocoin forum.

So is anybody going to touch base with this person and explain how to log his coins properly so he can see them traveling?

(I'm willing to, if nobody else is)

Someone definitely should do so.

Although WRT the coin he's effectively stolen, seems to me it would be up to the coin's *owner* to whack him upside the head with a clue stick.

So is anybody going to touch base with this person and explain how to log his coins properly so he can see them traveling?

Someone definitely should do so.

Although WRT the coin he's effectively stolen, seems to me it would be up to the coin's *owner* to whack him upside the head with a clue stick.

I'm sure he's already received several e-mails with links to this thread.

If you look at the logs for the three USA coins he has registered, it is easy to make a case that he is simply clueless...

The logs don't make sense WRT his claim on the cache page of his coins going missing. All three coins are still officially "in his hands".

One, he put in a "TC", rather than in a geocaching.com cache; if by that he means "terracache", well then what on earth did he expect? Perhaps it's common in his area for cachers to belong to both sites, but that's still no guarantee that anyone finding the coin would know, or care, what to do with it.

The second says he traded it to someone else. Well gee, if he traded it, maybe the people he traded it TO thought it was for them to keep?? Or were they supposed to go out and put it in a cache, and never did? Either way, it seems to me his beef should be directly with those individuals.

I didn't see anything in the logs for the third....

As a bit of a side note, I'm gobsmacked that anyone can be that clueless after being in the game for two years; I'm a total noob (started in August, 76 finds), and I figured out how to handle geocoins correctly as soon as I'd found my first one.

And I can't imagine not only deliberately keeping an activated coin that's supposed to travel, but having the unmitigated gall to post to the cache log that I was doing it... :rolleyes:

Just started caching in NC and have seen some of the Geo Coins. Not sure as to there purpose. Are they kind of like travel bugs? My kids wanted them but they looked offical so I let them get a happy meal toy. Is there a Q&A on Geo Coins? Thanks

For the most part, yes, geocoins work just like travelbugs. To find out more please visit the geocoin forum.

When I started geocaching, the first cache I came across had a cool volkswagen bug in it. I grabbed it for my son and left something. I gave it to my son and he proceeded to play with it and it's probably under a sofa cushion somewhere. I later found out what it's real purpose was. Let's be careful about assuming there's a horrible thief out there stealing everyone's coins and travel bugs. When I was starting out, if I had a choice between a shiny geocoin and a McToy, I would probably take the geocoin. I'm sure most of the "Thieves" are simply naive about what they are suppose to do with these things.

If you put ANYTHING in an ammo can out in the middle of the woods and invite everyone to come pilfer it, one can't be surprised if something you put into it gets pilfered. If they are so darn near and dear to your hearts, don't put them in circulation.

I just lost my one and only travelbug. I can imagine a black masked madman laughing as he holds my worthless trinket, but more than likely there is a happy 2 year old using it as a suck toy... At least it's being appreciated :)

Let's be careful about assuming there's a horrible thief out there stealing everyone's coins and travel bugs.

The guy said what he was doing in his log. No assumptions. Its there in black and greyish blue.

I understand that. I'm talking about what started everything.. He's doing it because he thinks someone stole his coins. I'm just saying that I think there's an awful lot of innocent, naive people that are characterized as thieves. Or maybe I'm just naive and there ARE really a bunch of people running around stealing coins and TB's. I do remember a thread about a guy that came clean after stealing several hundred TB's (but I'd like to think that he's not the norm)

Or maybe I'm just naive and there ARE really a bunch of people running around stealing coins and TB's. I do remember a thread about a guy that came clean after stealing several hundred TB's (but I'd like to think that he's not the norm)

Unfortunately you're naive. There are coin theives operating in many areas.

Just started caching in NC and have seen some of the Geo Coins. Not sure as to there purpose. Are they kind of like travel bugs? My kids wanted them but they looked offical so I let them get a happy meal toy.

Geocoins were invented as a nice way to reward thieves and dishonest people for their efforts.

:)

Let's be careful about assuming there's a horrible thief out there stealing everyone's coins and travel bugs.

The guy said what he was doing in his log. No assumptions. Its there in black and greyish blue.

I understand that. I'm talking about what started everything.. He's doing it because he thinks someone stole his coins. I'm just saying that I think there's an awful lot of innocent, naive people that are characterized as thieves. Or maybe I'm just naive and there ARE really a bunch of people running around stealing coins and TB's. I do remember a thread about a guy that came clean after stealing several hundred TB's (but I'd like to think that he's not the norm)

:) How can you have someone "steal" your coins when they are still in your possession???? They are listed in his inventory as in his hands! You can't possibly think that someone could ORDER 3 geocoins, and then not know what they are for? That just does not make sense. :) And yes, geocoin thieves, are out there. What they do with activated coins is unclear to me unless they sit at night with the lights dimmed uttering, "MY PRECIOUS...." :)

Edited by lonesumdove

With over 200 caches found, 2 TB's of his own out, and 89 trackables found/discovered, I would think he has some idea.

Edited by Shop99er

My hope would be that the caching comunity would deluge this guy with email about his actions. Also I hope that a lot of local cachers in the Puget Sound area will see and recognize his name as he seems to attend some of the event caches. If this happens he needs to be told that he isn't welcome in this community if he insists on being a thief! As the coin in question is mine I sure do hope I get a chance to meet this S.O.B. at an event someday! This coin was a gift to me from my wife and never got out of it's first cache.

There has been attempts made to contact this person and they are too much of a coward to reply. I have turned in a ticket with Geocaching about the incident as well.

As far as I am concerned he doesn't belong in the game if he is this type of person.

my .02 worth!!!!!!!!

I just have to wonder how chanterelleman went from just over 200 finds to 444 in less than a week. I think besides steeling coins he is cheating at the game too. I got the standard canned message from Geocaching "we are looking into it" but I suppose that nothing will be done. I think his account should be terminated with great haste!!!

I just have to wonder how chanterelleman went from just over 200 finds to 444 in less than a week. I think besides steeling coins he is cheating at the game too. I got the standard canned message from Geocaching "we are looking into it" but I suppose that nothing will be done. I think his account should be terminated with great haste!!!

I don't think we should be so fast to add labels. I've logged over 180 caches in a couple of days - it took me three weeks to find them, but logged them in a very short time. My wife has something like 300 logged caches, but nearly 1000 found. Let's stick to the facts.

O.k. then the facts are that this no good jerk is a coin stealer. My concern is that the next coin or bug he decides to steal could be that of a child who's heart will be crushed because their coin or bug they wanted to have travel is stolen. As a group we should not be rolling over and just ignoring people like this. Peer preasure can acomplish a lot.

My real frustration is the knowledge that the reality is that Geocaching will probably not do anything about it. It is the same frustration that I get from Ebay as well. Sellers can sell illegal items all day long but as long as Ebay is getting their cut, they don't do a thing about it.

Cachers such as Chantrelleman sould have their acounts closed for such behavior.

:unsure: Look, what this guy seems to be doing with the coin is wrong-- but GC.com is not a court. They don't have time to decide on these "he said, she said" issues. You took a coin and put it in a geocache... anyone could have taken it (or even taken the cache it was in!)-- you are lucky you even know who it is. If you place something in a geocache, you have to be somewhat prepared for the fact that it may never be seen again. Not that stealing it is right.

I suggest taking a deep breath, relaxing and then thinking of a diplomatic way to get your coin back if that's what you want. I'm sure there's a way.

EDITED: 'cause I said "have to have be somewhat prepared" ;)

Edited by Cache Heads
My real frustration is the knowledge that the reality is that Geocaching will probably not do anything about it.

Why would GC do anything about it? They are a listing service, not a Judge & Jury for your moral barometer. Whilst everybody most folks will agree it's terrible behavior, it's not a guidelines violation. In fact, in most states, it wouldn't even constitute a criminal act. Once you intentionally leave a coin in a box, on public land, outside your personal control, any schmoo can take it. GC also hasn't done anything about folks speeding up & down my street, but I don't see a lot of outrage about it.

Some free advice:

If you happen to like being angry, (some folks do), then don't change a thing.

If you don't like being angry, then don't let things that are outside your control get you angry.

Sellers can sell illegal items all day long but as long as Ebay is getting their cut, they don't do a thing about it.

Not only is this irrelevant to the conversation, it's untrue. As a law enforcement officer, I've had professional dealings with E-bay, and I find that they are pretty kwick to terminate accounts found dealing in stolen property. All they need is a police report showing probable cause. If you send them an E-mail saying words to the effect of, "JoeyBagOfDonuts is selling a lawn mower that looks like the one I had stolen from my back yard. No, I don't have the serial number, but it's gotta be mine!", then they will do what any reasonable person would do, which is nothing.

Oh, BTW, according to how I was raised, it's stealing, plain and simple. Just wanted to clarify that.

If individuals like chantrelleman aren't held responsible for their actions then they will continue their behavior. When an individual plain out says in a log they are steeling coins then they should have their account terminated! It isn't a "my word against his" HE STATED RIGHT IN HIS LOG THAT HE IS STEELING COINS! I didn't make this up!

Sure coins and bugs get stolen all the time, but the individuals don't fess up to it. Oh WEll that's the way it goes. But when someone admits to steeling what isn't theirs then they shouldn't be allowed in the game.

No one is doubting your word, or the fact that the guy is, uh...... (what can I say that won't get me banned?).... an unsavory character. :P What I question is your suggested resolution. In my opinion, this needs to be resolved at a local level, preferably as soon as possible. Peer pressure can be very convincing. Grounspeak is not a law enforcement agency. They are a listing service. They might take action against a player for violating their guidelines, but I would be remiss if I expected them to resolve something outside the scope of their authority.

I've dug right through the guys coins and it appears to me he IS EDIT * a victim. that said i agree with the VW lady that there is a lot of problems knowing what to do with coins and TB's. 99 percent of UScoins arrive here with no "passport"- just their little plastic cases and none can tell form teh website how to log them or find adoption page EASILY - teh info is many many clicks away and sometimes even ERRONEOUS ( GC are finally working to fix this - i have out my cattle prod.....) As my contribution some nice generically sized passports will be sent to them for coin owners or uploaded to my blog.

If you look at his USA coins the first was dropped into a TC cache and probably never heard of again. he moved a cat coin properly but perhaps the second coin he couldn't work out how to adopt it out or the guy who "replaced" the coin with a different numbered one thought they were swap items???? - the trail goes dead unles I email the second coin's last known holder ( NOT the owner ) third coin he appears to have decided against releasing.

I would like to put this to bed with a happy ending as I have had some very good fortune to meet those who keep hope alive, set an awesome example of not fussing when a whole bag supposedly goes missing on it's way to me* or a coin gets damaged and on a more concrete note recently with minters giving me coins. Many of these are earmarked as gifts and I will email those 2 who have lost their coins and see if they would like to adopt one of mine and we can get the originals moving again too.... peace.

* you all know who you are! :laughing:

*Well there's an email in my intray from the chanterelleman to say he's putting the mojo coin out again with no regrets, declining my offerred dorkfish ( i hope he is going to adopt one of my coins anyway and enjoy caching again and so I can learn to stop hoarding the things quite so much - this will be way good for my karma too :laughing:

Edited by forthferalz

I wonder if this is some of the reason for this moron's behavior.

This is directly from his profile: ** Biography **

I am an average sort, just celebrated 58th year of nothing spectaculiar

There is something wrong with a person who believes this, anyway.......

I have had about the same experience with Travel Bugs lately, I THANKFULLY rescued my Darth Vader TB that went to Afghanistan for Operation Enduring Freedom, he is sitting on my shelf and I look at him most every day, but I have had about 4 or 5 bugs that just go "poof" and when you email the people who have them they either NEVER respond, the Email is non-deliverable, or they send a message back saying they like it and they are keeping it, that doesn't do anything but PI$$ me off.

People like this are just IDIOTS.

I appreciate the OP's frustration but isn't this a little premature? People say things all the time they don't mean, especially when they're upset or angry. I looked at his profile and he seems to have done a good job so far at moving trackables and being a honorable geocacher. I think we should give him a chance to do the right thing before we start the name calling and character assassination.