I thought you couldn't do this anymore?

5¢

I thought this was pretty much limited to Wisconson, Michigan and Fla.

The owner can tell you can log a find on a cache that isn't there as well. Of course, the owner telling you to say you "found" a missing cache is just silly. But it's not against any rules. (Even sillier would be you, agreeing that you found a missing cache :rolleyes: ).

Posting a "note" accomplishes the same thing.

That's what happens when you live/play at GCGZ. It seems the further away people are from Seattle, the more they can get away with.

We do get away with a double-log at events here, but ONLY if you get permission from the reviewers prior to submitting your event.

Its not done on the east coast either. At least not at the events I've attended in NY and NJ.

Is Tennessee on the east coast, or in the east.....I don't know, but nonetheless I have seen it done MANY times with events here in Tennessee!

Personally don’t have a problem with multi-logs on an event cache page

It just folks having fun, an this is what the sport / game is all about having fun.

If you get bend out of shape by this type of logging don’t do it, it you like it go for it

Don’t let anyone in the forums suck the fun out of the sport / game for you, play it the way you want to they are NOT represented by the silent majority only the vocal minority

Have fun, if you are not, go do something else

Joe

You da man briansnat, er :) I mean Joe.

Does everyone who expressed such disfavor with the attendees of that event feel better that they have some folks to look down upon from their high horses? :):)

Yawwwn.

:)

Oh, hey....here is a thought! If 100 people attend an event, and their are at least 5 temporary caches placed at the event....granted that everyone finds and logs their found log on the event page which results in 500 attended logs/found logs, then does the event become a mega-event?

OK, I don't get it. From both sides.

Why are some cachers bugged out by people double logging events or caches?

Why do people insist on looking for black and white GC.com rules and guidelines?

It's a hobby folks!

A chance to get out into nature, explore your creative side, pretend you're a secret agent, go places, hang out with friends, have friendly competitions, discover new places and see things you might normally miss.

Why should I care how many times player x logs a cache or event?

OK, it's lame and shows a lack of integrity, but please, someone explain to me why this is important.

OK, it's lame and shows a lack of integrity, but please, someone explain to me why this is important.

I don't think a single topic that ever graced these forums was important in the scheme of things (with the possible exception of wearing orange in hunting season). Does that mean it shouldn't be discussed?

Some people think there should be standards and generally accepted practices. Others believe anything goes as long as it makes you happy. I think it is a legitimate issue for debate.

Edited by briansnat

The defacto way the website works is that you can log as many finds as you want on any cache you want. The cache owner can delete the log if he wants for any number of reasons. TPTB can get involved if the owner is deleting or allowing logs improperly but choose to rarely take this action. TPTB choose to leave the policing of logs up to the finder and hider. There will probably always be regional differences as to whether one should log a separate attended log for each temporrary cache at an event. Even where the event owner allows it, many attendees will log only once. GC.com provides the ability to log finds as a service to the community to use as it sees fit and they have no interest in changing the software to limit the number of found or attended logs per cache or event to one.

P.S. I wrote this in a small font so it would take up less room on the server.

Maybe they want to get together ....just for friendship!

Maybe it's just "innocent don't really care about finds and such", fun!

Maybe they are just gregarious folk that want human contact, social interaction...and the smilies, finds or whatevers are just a by-product of that fun!

Maybe they are.................... :):)

Chuckwagon here, with 15 whole caches and gonna get another before Christmas....maybe!

Could you name one legitimate one as it pertains to the topic of event caches, of course?

Here in Alberta the practice is common.

There are two events that are held every month, one in Edmonton and one in Calgary. The same cache page is just recycled with a new date. Every time you go to these monthly events and log an attended log you are attending a new event cache but the cache page is the same one hence multiple logs on one event.

This is sort of like moving caches, we have several grandfathered moving caches that are very popular so many Albertan geocachers have multiple logs on one cache. We also have the Brass cap Cache, an Aberta special. This grandfathered moving virtual benchmark cache :) comprises over 300 unique locations, all on one cache page. You could cache for year and never hunt for anything else but the locations in the Brass Cap page, make that two years.

Could you name one legitimate one as it pertains to the topic of event caches, of course?

There are two events that are held every month, one in Edmonton and one in Calgary. The same cache page is just recycled with a new date. Every time you go to these monthly events and log an attended log you are attending a new event cache but the cache page is the same one hence multiple logs on one event.

Hey, that's a legitimate reason to be able to log an event more than one time. Curse you wavector!

I call BS on that. It' all about the numbers. Like this

this and this event held in the same region. If it weren't about stroking the egos of the numbers crowd they would just be BBQs.

Because some people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about or an "issue" that they think they can use to look down upon other people.

Why do people insist on looking for black and white GC.com rules and guidelines?

They're geo-referee wannabees?

It's a hobby folks!

A hobby with stats that some folks care about.

A chance to get out into nature, explore your creative side, pretend you're a secret agent, go places, hang out with friends, have friendly competitions, discover new places and see things you might normally miss.

Like unique corners of state parks where people place temporary caches during events to lure other cachers there.

I'd say you shouldn't, but it's not my place to say what you should and shouldn't get your undies bunched up over.

Monopoly has official rules, but some people choose to play their own way. I like to put tax money under "Free Parking" for someone to collect if they land there. I never do auctions if someone doesn't want to buy a property. I've played with people that pay out $400 if you land on "Go".

In situations where it doesn't shouldn't hurt anyone, people adjust the rules or guidelines to fit the way they most enjoy playing the game. While there are some things that cachers do that run contrary to the guidelines that could potentially hurt the sport (e.g. sneaking caches into places where they aren't allowed) multiple logs at events isn't one of them.

I wouldn't say it shows a lack of integrity. When I started caching back in 2002, events had "found" logs, not "attended" logs. The first events I went to had temporary caches that we could all log, and being a new cacher, I just assumed that was normal.

Fast-forward to now, where the way I play the game is different that it was four years ago. I don't care about my numbers so much. Now I only enter a single log per event. Will I go back and delete all my multiple logs from the past? Nope. They're a record of what I did back then and I'm not into revisionist history. If someone wants to get all bent out of shape about it and call me a cheater or question my integrity, so be it. I won't lose any sleep.

If someone wants to log their own cache 500 times to boost their stats, while it's something I wouldn't do, I'm not going to throw them under the bus for it.

If someone carries around a "pocket cache" for people to log, I won't log it myself, but I won't begrudge those that do.

In other words, it's only important to those that think it is. Other people just ignore it and move on.

This is sort of like moving caches, we have several grandfathered moving caches that are very popular so many Albertan geocachers have multiple logs on one cache. We also have the Brass cap Cache, an Aberta special. This grandfathered moving virtual benchmark cache :) comprises over 300 unique locations, all on one cache page. You could cache for year and never hunt for anything else but the locations in the Brass Cap page, make that two years.

You are correct, thank you for pointing that out.

Because some people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about or an "issue" that they think they can use to look down upon other people.

They're geo-referee wannabees?

It's a hobby folks!

A hobby with stats that some folks care about.

Like unique corners of state parks where people place temporary caches during events to lure other cachers there.

I'd say you shouldn't, but it's not my place to say what you should and shouldn't get your undies bunched up over.

Monopoly has official rules, but some people choose to play their own way. I like to put tax money under "Free Parking" for someone to collect if they land there. I never do auctions if someone doesn't want to buy a property. I've played with people that pay out $400 if you land on "Go".

In situations where it doesn't shouldn't hurt anyone, people adjust the rules or guidelines to fit the way they most enjoy playing the game. While there are some things that cachers do that run contrary to the guidelines that could potentially hurt the sport (e.g. sneaking caches into places where they aren't allowed) multiple logs at events isn't one of them.

I wouldn't say it shows a lack of integrity. When I started caching back in 2002, events had "found" logs, not "attended" logs. The first events I went to had temporary caches that we could all log, and being a new cacher, I just assumed that was normal.

Fast-forward to now, where the way I play the game is different that it was four years ago. I don't care about my numbers so much. Now I only enter a single log per event. Will I go back and delete all my multiple logs from the past? Nope. They're a record of what I did back then and I'm not into revisionist history. If someone wants to get all bent out of shape about it and call me a cheater or question my integrity, so be it. I won't lose any sleep.

If someone wants to log their own cache 500 times to boost their stats, while it's something I wouldn't do, I'm not going to throw them under the bus for it.

If someone carries around a "pocket cache" for people to log, I won't log it myself, but I won't begrudge those that do.

In other words, it's only important to those that think it is. Other people just ignore it and move on.

I think it shows the opposite, that they care deeply about find counts and its more about the numbers than the friendship. If it was just about the friendship they wouldn't need to use events to pad their numbers.

Chuckwagon here, with 15 whole caches and gonna get another before Christmas....maybe!

Hey, go to an event in NWPA and you can triple that in one afternoon :) .

Edited by briansnat

And then there is this event that meets every third Tuesday.

I guess it would be OK to log this one multiple times.

Oddly enough, I took a quick look at the logs and notice that no one has logged it as attended more than once.

EDIT: this is kind of redundant as several folks above posted similar events. I'm slow on the mouse clicks. :)

Edited by ekitt10

That's what happens when you live/play at GCGZ. It seems the further away people are from Seattle, the more they can get away with.

We do get away with a double-log at events here, but ONLY if you get permission from the reviewers prior to submitting your event.

Its not done on the east coast either. At least not at the events I've attended in NY and NJ.

Naw, you're just attending events in the "wrong part" of New York. Like This one for example. I mean who amongst us wouldn't claim a smiley for pulling a few picnic tables together, and having Sunday Morning Breakfast?? :)

I have to agree with the usual crowd of defenders of all that is lame though. If TPTB were that concerned about this practice, they'd nip it in the bud.

I have to agree with the usual crowd of defenders of all that is lame though. If TPTB were that concerned about this practice, they'd nip it in the bud.

I thought that is why they changed it from a "found it" to an "attended" to discourage that, but maybe it was semantics.

It just folks having fun, an this is what the sport / game is all about having fun.

If you get bend out of shape by this type of logging don’t do it, it you like it go for it

Don’t let anyone in the forums suck the fun out of the sport / game for you, play it the way you want to they are NOT represented by the silent majority only the vocal minority

Joe

Does everyone who expressed such disfavor with the attendees of that event feel better that they have some folks to look down upon from their high horses? :):)

Yawwwn.

Remember when you attended your 25th event and it was a big deal. Now you can do it in a day. Technology is awesome!

Edited by D@nim@l
... Surly it is not such a huge software change to allow only one type of log per cache? ...
There are some situations that most would agree that multiple 'finds' would be perfectly appropriate.

Neither my post, nor the one that I quoted specified event cache. However, I believe that I have heard of a few event pages that are recycled.

<edit> Obviously, I posted before reading wavector's post which said the same thing.

Edited by sbell111
Some people think there should be standards and generally accepted practices. Others believe anything goes as long as it makes you happy. I think it is a legitimate issue for debate.

Don't you think that you give this issue more attention than it deserves by pushing all of us into your two categories? Can't a person believe that this isn't that big of a deal and still think that there should be standards? Can't a person believe in standards and flexibility?

So claim your three finds, you can post a "note" instead of an "attended" to do that, can't you? I mean you really only "attended" one event right?

The only purpose to claiming them under an "attended" is to pad the numbers and nothing else. Its tacky and just another reason why playing the game for numbers is stupid, it just makes them worthless.

Well, in reference to the CITO I mentioned in my original message. I logged 1 attended and 2 "found it"s since I found 2 caches. I'm arguing a slightly different, but similar issue here, CITOs still allow a "found it" post or at least they did when I attended one a few months back. Posting a note won't add my two finds to my total which would make my find total inaccurate. You say "padding", I don't consider it padding to accurately display my find count. I found 2 caches, I logged two finds.

Also, I don't appreciate much being called "tacky" because I have a different viewpoint than you do. If you can't discuss an issue like an adult, maybe you shouldn't discuss it.

Edited by rhelt100

I think it shows the opposite, that they care deeply about find counts and its more about the numbers than the friendship. If it was just about the friendship they wouldn't need to use events to pad their numbers.

On the other hand, why does anyone care why they do it? Who cares if they are about the numbers or about the fun (or both)?

If Jeremy posts in this thread that the practice is having an adverse affect on his servers and that he wants it stopped for the good of the website, I will be the first to argue that this practice must cease. Until that happens, I don't understand why this is that huge of a deal.

Edited by sbell111

Don't you think that you give this issue more attention than it deserves by pushing all of us into your two categories? Can't a person believe that this isn't that big of a deal and still think that there should be standards? Can't a person believe in standards and flexibility?

Certainly you can believe in standards and flexibility... just don't hold your breath waiting for folks to recognize both words!

Once something is 'standard' (i.e. a guideline, be it written or 'generally accepted') flexibility seems to fly out the window.

Too many try to see the world in binary bits - it's off or it's on, it's a rule or it isn't.

Of course the world doesn't work that way, never has, I hope it never does, but efforts to codify and standardize every detail only lead to a few binary thinkers trying to control the mahority.

Ed

The onlypurpose to claiming them under an "attended" is to pad the numbers and nothing else. Its tacky and just another reason why playing the game for numbers is stupid, it just makes them worthless.

I don't know about 'stupid'. After all, who am I to tell someone else how to play?

I don't see any problem in playing for numbers, but it would be nice if there were a bit more control from the top on how numbers are accumulated. It seems to me that it would be technically easy to limit the "found it" or "attended" entries on a cache/event to one per account. That would pretty much eliminate 'abuses' such as the one that spawned this thred.

I admit I'm interested in my numbers. All whopping 63 of them. I don't much care about anyone elses. I feel like logging a single cache multiple times would utterly destroy the integrity and meaning of my own numbers, and hence wouldn't do it. Heck, I recently attended a CITO event where a couple of caches were available prior to 'real' release, and I signed/logged them... and it's sort of bothering me. I'm planning on hunting the real things in the near future, the way anyone who didn't attend has to, just to legitimatize them in my own mind.

...Well, in reference to the CITO I mentioned in my original message. I logged 1 attended and 2 "found it"s since I found 2 caches. I'm arguing a slightly different, but similar issue here, CITOs still allow a "found it" post or at least they did when I attended one a few months back. Posting a note won't add my two finds to my total which would make my find total inaccurate. You say "padding", I don't consider it padding to accurately display my find count. I found 2 caches, I logged two finds.

Also, I don't appreciate much being called "tacky" because I have a different viewpoint than you do. If you can't discuss an issue like an adult, maybe you shouldn't discuss it.

You found/attended 1 event. At the event you found 2 event only caches. Until they have "event only" cache logs what you found isn't the same as a real cache. When I say real cache, I mean a cache that's listed normally, has met the listing criteria, including permanence, and anyone can see out and log on it's own merit. Event only caches may be great caches, if they are they should be listed separatly, then you log them. If they aren't worthy of listing...then they aren't worthy of logging.

And yes I think the practice of logging event only caches by logging the event a bunch of times is tacky. You may be a great person who I'd love to debate this whole thing with over beer or coffee and have a good time doing it and who "tacky" may not describe at all.

Edited by Renegade Knight

The interesting thing about a silent majority is that, by definition, nobody knows what they actually think. It's entirely possible that they agree with the vocal minority, after all.

The interesting thing about a silent majority is that, by definition, nobody knows what they actually think. It's entirely possible that they agree with the vocal minority, after all.

And are not the poeple in this thread who are in favor of "anything goes" also a vocal minority?

Been to more events that anyone to the best of my knowledge, and the silent majority does not agree with the vocal minority and most will not even read the forums anymore because of it.

The only other cacher that has met more folks face to face than I would be Clayjar, but that is just a guess, speak up if you have.

Joe

Well I was at the event questioned by the OP. Both me and my brother attended and we each wrote 1 attended log. I personally don't believe that there should be more than 1 attended log for an event. You can only attend an event once.

There were a bunch of temp caches set up for the day. I didn't do any of them b/c I had enough permenent caches around town for me to have fun and keep busy for the day. If I would have done any of them, they would have been notes...as an after thought, I probably should have done a few and made myself and example of what I think is right.

I heard a few people talking about multiple logs to newer people, and I just cringed and walked away. Maybe I should have voiced my opinion, but I've only been caching for 12 months, and didn't want to cause any issues being one of the new guys.

On another note, I had our first event, a CITO, last April. We worked with the park ranger (who geocaches) to place 3 new perminate caches for the event. No multiple logs.

edited to add: Geocaching.com is a listing service, if your caches are not listed on the service, why would you be able to add that to your gc.com found numbers? IMO, logging an event cache for temporary caches would be like me logging a cache twice b/c I found the Letterbox 100 ft from it, or logging a cache twice b/c I found a terra-cache that isn't listed on gc.com.

Edited by Guyute1210

Been to more events that anyone to the best of my knowledge, and the silent majority does not agree with the vocal minority and most will not even read the forums anymore because of it.

The only other cacher that has met more folks face to face than I would be Clayjar, but that is just a guess, speak up if you have.

Joe

I'm sure you've met a lot more geocachers than I have, but I've been to my share of events (about 30) and met my share of geocachers (over 300 when I stopped counting). I don't think this subject ever came up with more than one or two people. I'm surprised that its been a topic of conversation with everyone you meet.

If you look at the majority of events, you do not see multiple logs. The practice only seems to be common in a few isolated regions. This leads me to believe that silent majority does not think this practice is normal or acceptable.

Joe

Yawwwn.

Remember when you attended your 25th event and it was a big deal. Now you can do it in a day. Technology is awesome!

Yes, I do remember. :D

Including CITOs, next Monday I'll attend my 70th event & my 12th hosted event. I've attended events in 5 states and hosted events in 3. Geocachers are the SAME where ever you go.

JoGPS is quite correct. While the vocal minority rant and rave about the way other people play their game to feel superior. A silent majority finds it all quite lame in return.

Most people at the events I attend have turned their back on this forum in favor of local, regional forums because of dogpiles like this thread. I can say this with nearly the same authority as Joe. I have personally met thousands of geocachers and held conversations with hundreds face to face.

I stick around because I have a verrry thick skin and this IS quite entertaining at times. :)

So claim your three finds, you can post a "note" instead of an "attended" to do that, can't you? I mean you really only "attended" one event right?

The only purpose to claiming them under an "attended" is to pad the numbers and nothing else. Its tacky and just another reason why playing the game for numbers is stupid, it just makes them worthless.

Well, in reference to the CITO I mentioned in my original message. I logged 1 attended and 2 "found it"s since I found 2 caches. I'm arguing a slightly different, but similar issue here, CITOs still allow a "found it" post or at least they did when I attended one a few months back. Posting a note won't add my two finds to my total which would make my find total inaccurate. You say "padding", I don't consider it padding to accurately display my find count. I found 2 caches, I logged two finds.

Tacky and stupid refers to the behavior, but if you take then it meant you, then that's your problem.

For the record - I've never seen this in the Bay Area (CA) either.

Some of our local group meets weekly/bi-weekly for "un-events" - that aren't even listed on the site and no smileys are added to the attendees totals. Can you imagine? :)

They don't add all of the un-events to an actual event when they pop up.

1 event = 1 attended.

Joe

I'm sure you've met a lot more geocachers than I have, but I've been to my share of events (about 30) and met my share of geocachers (over 300 when I stopped counting). I don't think this subject ever came up with more than one or two people. I'm surprised that its been a topic of conversation with everyone you meet.

If you look at the majority of events, you do not see multiple logs. The practice only seems to be common in a few isolated regions. This leads me to believe that silent majority does not think this practice is normal or acceptable.

In the majority of states ( 10 ) where we have attended events this is a common practice, have never been to three states where you have attended events.

The silent majority does not care how someone else plays the game / sport

Joe

Let's turn this thread in another direction. Shall we?

5 Pennies? :)

What was your motivation in posting this thread? :)

You haven't posted ONE SINGLE WORD to the debate you RE-started. :)

Was there a point other than reopening a can-o-worms????

You didn't ATTEND the event in question and it is several states away from your listed location.....

Edited by Snoogans
... I do care if a bunch of irresponsible individuals do whatever they want, including deliberately hiding temporary caches where they are not wanted or welcome. This kind of irresponsible behavior gives property managers the wrong idea about geocaching (or maybe an accurate one) and makes it harder to keep spaces open to properly placed caches. ...

I'll ignore most of your post to concentrate on the meat of it...

How are temporary event caches against park rules? If I have a picnic in a park and set down my frisbee while I eat a piece of chicken, am I violating the same rule?

Is a frisbee a frisbee because you list it on frisbeefinders.com? If a park says no frisbees I would have assumed they meant no frisbees the item, not 'no frisbee if they're listed at such n such website'. Or maybe my understanding of what a frisbee is way out there.

... I do care if a bunch of irresponsible individuals do whatever they want, including deliberately hiding temporary caches where they are not wanted or welcome. This kind of irresponsible behavior gives property managers the wrong idea about geocaching (or maybe an accurate one) and makes it harder to keep spaces open to properly placed caches. ...

I'll ignore most of your post to concentrate on the meat of it...

How are temporary event caches against park rules? If I have a picnic in a park and set down my frisbee while I eat a piece of chicken, am I violating the same rule?

Is a frisbee a frisbee because you list it on frisbeefinders.com? If a park says no frisbees I would have assumed they meant no frisbees the item, not 'no frisbee if they're listed at such n such website'. Or maybe my understanding of what a frisbee is way out there.

Many parks that don't allow (permanent) geocaches do allow temporary caches and other games to take place. The rule is that you must remove these items at the end of the day or they become abandoned property.

Often, the parks allow the temporary caches if they are removed after the event. What they won't allow is leaving permanent caches in the park.

In most cases, the temporary caches are known about by the park officials and allowed. They aren't "deliberately hiding temporary caches where they are not wanted or welcome".

This debate has been going on forever.

Logging temp caches is not against the rules and I doubt it ever will be. TPTB has not only refused to disallow it, they have actually told organizations in the past to log the temp caches on the event page as an alternative to making a cache page for each cache.

Edited by Docapi

Tacky and stupid refers to the behavior, but if you take then it meant you, then that's your problem.

Well, let's just examine this. I publically admitted to the "behavior" and presented an argument as to why I thought it was valid. You then announced, in a reply to my message, that the "behavior" was tacky. Sure looks like it was aimed at me to anybody who can connect the dots.

Regardless, your reply here pretty much proved the point. I still, to this day, do not understand why many people degrade themselves to childish behavior when debating an issue on the internet. I just hope you don't exhibit that sort of behavior in real life. You seem like you can at least put a sentence together correctly from your posts so I really don't see why you would need to lower your arguments to a kindergarten level

Good day.

To everyone else,

sorry to hijack the thread, you may have a valid counterargument here but when I see people start spouting insults it makes me think that, at least from that person, there's nothing worth hearing.