Garmin eTrex Legend Cx

The Garmin Venture Cx is the same as the Legend Cx but with a yellow case and no bundled microSD card and USB cable. The USB cable is a standard regular to mini size one used with a lot of digital cameras so you may already have one. And you can get large capacity microSD cards for less than what Garmin wants for theirs.

With the $50 rebate the Ventrure is hard to beat at about $150.

Just got one and am very happy with it.

I love mine, but update the firmware to v2.6 as soon as you get the unit, wether it is the Legend or Venture. If you do it before you turn it on outside, you'll not experience the accuracy problems we faced with v2.5, and you will be able to recieve the almanac from sat 51 instead of 35. The 2 new waas birds 48-51, apparently can't be seen with v2.5? I love my Legend Cx. I did by a 256mb card for it, and I now use the 64mb that came with it to download maps of places farthur away than I normally go, so when I travel, all I do is swap the card. But Buxcamper is correct. For what Garmin want, you can buy a 1gig on ebay. If I'm not mistaken, the Venture comes with a magnetic compass and barometric altimeter. Both units are a great deal with the rebate. :rolleyes:

The Garmin Venture Cx is the same as the Legend Cx but with a yellow case and no bundled microSD card and USB cable. The USB cable is a standard regular to mini size one used with a lot of digital cameras so you may already have one. And you can get large capacity microSD cards for less than what Garmin wants for theirs.

I agree with the advice to get the Venture CX. Most people are going to remove the memory card in the Legend CX and replace it with a bigger one anyway, so why pay for a card that is probably going to sit in your desk? Also anybody with any sort of digital device that hooks up to their PC already has the USB cable. I received one with my cell phone, digital camera and cordless home phone.

Thanks for the input but my ? is where can I purchase a large capacity microsd?

Dave

Dave

Try any office supply store. When I got my venture CX, the same week I got it, there was an office depot ad for a 512mb microSD card for $13 after rebate. There were others at similar prices at different stores. They are used in cell phones a lot so they are not uncommon in Sunday's newspaper ads for about $15-20 for 512mb or maybe around $30+ for a gig.

Dave

I've had nothing but good experiences with buying from newegg.com. I bought a 1 gig card from Ebay for the same price as theirs (about $30), and that included shipping. Which, by the way, is probably the quickest of any company I've dealt with.

I'm seeing the Venture CX at $267 with a $50 rebate at Garmin... Where can I find it for $150?

I just received my Venture CX a few days ago and love it so far. It's my first GPSr, but I have a question for others that have it.

I've installed a 1 gig MicroSD card, but it doesn't seem to lock in--is it supposed to?? When trying to transfer maps I get a message that the GPS doesn't have enough memory, which I know it does! It took some fiddling to realize that I think the card isn't making good electrical contact with the pins inside the unit.

Is there some way to "lock" the card in? It clicks, but the card is still loose, in other words after I hear the click I can still pull the card right back out!

The manual simply says to insert the card with the pins facing away from the batteries...

Thanks in advance!

I bought my eTrex Venture from Buy.com. It was $210 minus the Garmin $50 rebate. I applied for/received a Buy.com Visa card in order to get another $30 discount. I also got a $10 discount (instantly) by using Google Checkout. When I received my Buy.com receipt the next day, there was an offer for another $25 discount for joining Great Fun, which is a discount membership for restaurants, movies, etc. I joined Great Fun for the first month (free), and cancelled my membership immediately.

Garmin eTrex Venture CX $210

Shipping $7

Total $217

Buy.com Visa Discount $30

Gogle Checkout Discount $10

Great Fun Discount $25

Garmin Rebate $50

Net Price $102

Shop hard!!!!

Fred

Well, I solved my problem by rolling up a tiny bit of paper towel and jamming it in the case behind the SD card so it holds it tight against the contacts.

Maybe there's something I'm too much of an idiot to see but that's the only way I could get it to work.

You should not have to do that....and i have never heard of that problem before. I have had a couple of the CX models, and 3 friends of mine have them. That has not happened to either of us. Contact Garmin and see what they have to say.

I've installed a 1 gig MicroSD card, but it doesn't seem to lock in--is it supposed to?? When trying to transfer maps I get a message that the GPS doesn't have enough memory, which I know it does! It took some fiddling to realize that I think the card isn't making good electrical contact with the pins inside the unit.

Is there some way to "lock" the card in? It clicks, but the card is still loose, in other words after I hear the click I can still pull the card right back out!

The manual simply says to insert the card with the pins facing away from the batteries...

Thanks in advance!

I don't have this unit but I do have the 60CSx which probably has the same memory card holder.In that case: have you noticed that the little metal hinged thingy will slide once you have the card behind it in place. In my unit, once the card is lying in the holder, I lay the metal clip back and slide it forward and that locks the little guy in place. I can see how a bit of papertowel might work just as well. But I'd hate to loose the chip some dark night when you're swapping batteries while out geocaching.

Edited by Hynr

I don't have this unit but I do have the 60CSx which probably has the same memory card holder.In that case: have you noticed that the little metal hinged thingy will slide once you have the card behind it in place. In my unit, once the card is lying in the holder, I lay the metal clip back and slide it forward and that locks the little guy in place. I can see how a bit of papertowel might work just as well. But I'd hate to loose the chip some dark night when you're swapping batteries while out geocaching.

By little metal hinged thingy do you mean the whole back part with the triangle hook that you turn to remove the back?

There is nothing with hinges that slides over the mem card once it's in place--?

I looked closely at the inside of the back plate that you take off to replace the batteries and put the mem card in and all I can see is a little rectangular indentation manufactured into it that aligns with the top of the mem card, but like I said it doesn't press down firmly enough to hold the card in place against the contacts so I just put a tiny bit of paper towel into it and that works, but like you said it's not ideal.

I have the VentureCX - push the card in until it clicks - feel the click. The card should barely stick up above the compartment when seated. Be brave and gently slowly push in the micro card. To remove the card you should have to push down again for the mechanism to release it. If it can be removed without having to first push it down then it was not installed correctly to begin with. Hope this helps.

I have the VentureCX - push the card in until it clicks - feel the click. The card should barely stick up above the compartment when seated. Be brave and gently slowly push in the micro card. To remove the card you should have to push down again for the mechanism to release it. If it can be removed without having to first push it down then it was not installed correctly to begin with. Hope this helps.

Thank you for replying!

I must have a defective unit then. It clicks when I push the card down, and sticks up about an 1/8" above the slot like it should, but I can definitely just pull it back out without hardly trying or having to push it back in to "release" it.

I'll call Garmin.

I love mine, but update the firmware to v2.6 as soon as you get the unit, wether it is the Legend or Venture. If you do it before you turn it on outside, you'll not experience the accuracy problems we faced with v2.5,

Ohh! I wish I saw this B4 I turned my unit on! How do I optimize accuracy now?

Thanks,

TeamKLT

I love mine, but update the firmware to v2.6 as soon as you get the unit, wether it is the Legend or Venture. If you do it before you turn it on outside, you'll not experience the accuracy problems we faced with v2.5, and you will be able to recieve the almanac from sat 51 instead of 35. The 2 new waas birds 48-51, apparently can't be seen with v2.5? I love my Legend Cx. I did by a 256mb card for it, and I now use the 64mb that came with it to download maps of places farthur away than I normally go, so when I travel, all I do is swap the card. But Buxcamper is correct. For what Garmin want, you can buy a 1gig on ebay. If I'm not mistaken, the Venture comes with a magnetic compass and barometric altimeter. Both units are a great deal with the rebate. :anitongue:

I just got my Legend Cx and i think its great, but how do i upgrade from v2.5 to v2.6? most of you have Window pc's but i have a Mac. Anyone done this?