moving caches, or muggled caches.

sacred6

I've only placed one, so no. However, I'm going to be sure not to place one too close to a school, an airport, a police station, my house or anywhere else that I think might be an issue. On the other hand, my mother-in-laws house, that is fair game as far as I'm concerned. I sit and imagine people waking her up in the middle of the night while they rummage around her house looking for a micro.... That would be fun...

I've had one of my caches get muggled 3 times. And after each time, I slightly changed the hide location. But I picked a very small very busy park.

All my caches get moved. Only by a foot or so, but it gets annoying. Place it in a rock crevice and slide it all the way back for good camo. A hand full of people find it, and then everybody starts saying how easy the find was, when I know I really hid this thing good. Go and check on it, and its not in that rock crevice jammed all the way in the back. Its in another crevice (easier to reach of course), and the crevice is to shallow to fit the whole container. hmmm booo! :):):)

Go and check on it, and its not in that rock crevice jammed all the way in the back. Its in another crevice (easier to reach of course), and the crevice is to shallow to fit the whole container. hmmm booo! :P:P:P

I only have one cache, which I "adopted"; don't plan to place any of my own just yet... anyway, the point is that it's hidden in a hollow tree root, and should be tucked back in the hollow with some leaves/sticks for camo.

But the last two times I checked on it - both times after it had been recently found - it wasn't even in the hollow, but sitting out in plain sight on the ground in front of it. :P I just don't get it.

Then again, I ALSO don't "get" why people were insisting on leaving items that didn't fit in the container, either.... although that was partially the fault of the orginal hider, who listed the cache as "regular" when it's really more of a "small"; I've amended the listing to "small", and put in the cache description that only small or flat items will fit. We shall see.

Go and check on it, and its not in that rock crevice jammed all the way in the back. Its in another crevice (easier to reach of course), and the crevice is to shallow to fit the whole container. hmmm booo! :P:P:P

I only have one cache, which I "adopted"; don't plan to place any of my own just yet... anyway, the point is that it's hidden in a hollow tree root, and should be tucked back in the hollow with some leaves/sticks for camo.

But the last two times I checked on it - both times after it had been recently found - it wasn't even in the hollow, but sitting out in plain sight on the ground in front of it. :P I just don't get it.

Then again, I ALSO don't "get" why people were insisting on leaving items that didn't fit in the container, either.... although that was partially the fault of the orginal hider, who listed the cache as "regular" when it's really more of a "small"; I've amended the listing to "small", and put in the cache description that only small or flat items will fit. We shall see.

I have about 11 caches out, and have had people log several times that they found the cache "Out in the open." Most of these logs have also added that the finder "rehid the cache as well as they could." I certainly appreciate that! I do realize that sometimes the wind, or wild animals, or mugglers move caches, but we should all be careful to read the cache description and try to place the cache back the way it sounds like the cache owner originally placed it. This keeps the cache viable and of interest to future cachers.

Edited by sunrise searcher

I swear they all get moved. I had one in the leaves at the base of a juniper bush. When I went to retrieve it, it was hanging near the top of the bush. That one moved.

Another one was on top of the hill, when cachers started getting skunked on the cache I went to fix it and it was at teh bottom of the ravine. That wasn't too hard to figure out since it was a steep hill.

As for stolen caches, yup, we have an active cache maggot in our area. He stays busy. I've lost a lot of caches.

how do you call this game in english? group of kiddies sits in a row, the first one says something in the ear like "gps", the last one in the row shouts something like "bush for president!"?

isnt geocaching supposed to be a little bit fun? :P

The game is called "Telephone" I think.

As far as bieng a little bit fun,I agree,that is what it is supposed to be,but consider this.

I put out a well thought out cache in a nice hiding spot.

cachers come and go .finding and logging their hunt.

all of a sudden the DNF logs start.

The regulars start calling for clues.After the clues they still can't find it.

I take a long trip to check things out.I look all over and I can't fid it ,and replace the round container with a square one.

Then they start finding it again. one day I get an email saying that two cachers out together found one each.

a round one,and a square one thirty feet away.GRRRRRRR!

Or I get an email from someone that had found one of my caches previously,and now wants to take a friend .

He goes out and it's not where he knows it's supposed to be.He sends me an email that it's missing.

I make a trip out to find it's not missing, just moved Grrrrrrrr!

I just wish that when folks reach for a hidden container they would make a mental image of how it was hidden.Thats all.

how do you call this game in english? group of kiddies sits in a row, the first one says something in the ear like "gps", the last one in the row shouts something like "bush for president!"?

I know two names for that game. One is "Telephone", the other is "Whisper Down the Valley". :P