Anyone kayak for caches?

RobRcer

We have alot of water around SE Virginia. I was wondering if people kayaked/canoed looking for caches. We have 3 kayaks, so i was thinking about placing one only accesible by kayak? Thanks

On Aug 26 I did 2 caches via Kayak. On the Falls of the Ohio in Louisville, KY. GCXRAT, GCKDET. Both of these could have been done on foot if the dam is not open and flowing. There is also one in Southern Indiana that hasn't been found yet. Only access is by boat. Actually there is several in Indiana that requires a boat to get to the cache site.

Go ahead and place one in Virginia. It will give me an excuse to bring my Perception Swifty that direction.

Kayak-Cowboy

Pekin, IN.

There are a bunch (6 to maybe 10) in the Schuylkill river from near Valley Forge. PA up to Hamburg, PA near I78. All are Canoe/Kayak caches, but can also be done by wading or swimming depending on weather and water levels. There was also a series of "Kayak/Boat only" near Atlantic Beach NC that was disabled this summer when we were there ;) Maybe they are back now.

No to disagree with Ed Scott, because he is my hero! but there are 6 between the North Coventry ramp and Tow Path park along the Schuylkill. True he walked to all of them, but after all his is Ed Scott! People do have some interesting stories about how they got to them!

There were a few on the souther barrier islands off Long Island, NY that we looked at this weekend. I don't know that they were ONLY accessible by kayak, but I know a few said it would be much easier by kayak.

They are called the "barrier beaches" and they protect us from the ocean.What we lack in altitude we make up for in water,I would say there are at least twenty water only caches and another hundred or so you can reach by land or boat.Just make sure you put your gps in a water proof bag because no matter whar Garmin says the 60 series are NOT water proof!

No to disagree with Ed Scott, because he is my hero! but there are 6 between the North Coventry ramp and Tow Path park along the Schuylkill. True he walked to all of them, but after all his is Ed Scott! People do have some interesting stories about how they got to them!

Yes I was too lazy to look up the real number... There are 6 by Pottstown, another one is just upstream from Valley Forge, I have one near Gibraltar, and there is (was?)one just above Hamburg. Makes a total of nine kayak friendly caches that I know of in this stretch of river.

Ok, the race is on KBer/ Ramsey/Klizich have mumbled somethings too. But it is time for a maint visit anyhow. 6 months unfound. Another Kayak cache, Pompton Goose Island only 1 find on July 4. I plan on picking that one up too this weekend. MY boat is going car top at sundown Sat. I am on the water at daybreak Sun.

Ok, the race is on KBer/ Ramsey/Klizich have mumbled somethings too. But it is time for a maint visit anyhow. 6 months unfound. Another Kayak cache, Pompton Goose Island only 1 find on July 4. I plan on picking that one up too this weekend. MY boat is going car top at sundown Sat. I am on the water at daybreak Sun.

Sorry to see these go :P I got up to the Split Rock ones this summer and had looked at these others several times, but never got back up again (at least not with my kayak). I usually come up there with my boyfriend and its harder to convince him to do caches that don't also involve a long hike or a long paddle, so I was planning to solo it sometime.

I know of 2 caches here in Southern DE & Northern Eastern Shore MD that are boat/kayak/jetski accessible only.

With all the lil nooks and crannies our inner waterways have I'm surprised there arent more but then again here in southern eastern sussex at least all waterfront land is being sold for developments, with not a lot of it being protected under state park lands.

Me, I already have ideas for at least 1 boat only cache or one really heck of a long walk (well over a mile on sand no less)

I may do another water only but havent decide yet how nasty I want to be. We'll see I think. My only issue is I dont jetski or kayak, boat only :unsure:

Ohh ohh, diving caches.... another evil idea pops to mind, wonder how well snorkeling caches would go over here. We do have them silly people that call themselves 'polar bears' my family calls them 'penguins' heheh.

Something to make people goo huuummm & bbbbrrrrrrr, hehehehe

I've bookmarked 103 Kayak/Canoe accessible caches on Long Island. You can see them if you check my bookmarks. To qualify the caches had to be water accessible by kayak/canoe and if on land within 25 feet of water where you could get out of your kayak nearby. The caches range from small narrow streams to open water where seakayaking skill is required. On the ones that are mine I've attempted to rate them by skill level with a K-1 being if you can get in the canoe or kayak without drowning you should be able to do the cache without swimming. Eventually with some help the Peconic Water Trail from Riverhead to Montauk will also be a cache trail. Being Long Island these are not white water caches but we do have some interesting water around here for those who like a challenge.

My husband, 12 y.o. son and I did this multi cache along the Clarion River, Elk County, PA. We had to paddle to two different islands in the river and retrieve the co-ordinates for the next stage. It took us about three hours as we actually paddled rather than floated downstream.

Clarion River MultiCache I

There is a second one that starts where this one leaves off. We will wait until next year to do that one.