Phoenix Area Caches for Vacation

MaxxTheDog

Hi all,

I will be in Phoenix and the end of January with my wife. Fortunately, she has a convention so I get to play for a few days. I have never been there before

I will have two full days to cache (plus a rental car).

Can anyone suggest a good hiking cache? I would like an area that has a few to do. I'm not looking for the quick park and grab this time.

Basically a nice scenery/hiking area where I can cache at the same time.

If you give me the general coordinates, I can do a search for the actual cache.

Thanks

Edited by MaxxTheDog

How far are you willing to drive?

I know there are some caches in the South Mountain area, although I haven't visited them yet. South Mountain is on the southeast side of Phoenix. I can't attest to the hiking value of specific caches since I haven't visited them yet, but I know that South Mountain park in general is nice to hike in. Here's a set of coordinates that should get you in the vicinity (look them up on Google maps and you'll see South Mountain park): 33.319627,-112.002869. January is a great time to hike here.

I've recently been caching around the Pine/Payson area, which is about 80-100 miles away, depending on exactly where you're coming from and where you're going. This area is right around the Mogollon Rim, which is *spectacular*. This is one of my favorite places to go and I can't get enough. The only problem is they do get snow on the top of the rim which results in a lot of closures of roads that access the caches (since they are just forest service roads), so you'll have to check specific caches. I did a search of caches in the Pine, AZ area (coordinates 34.384459,-111.454411) to get caches in the area.

I just did Payson Boulders this past weekend. It was about a mile hike in and back out, but the cache is on a trail loop that I believe is 4 miles total.

Unfortunately I'm usually with the younguns, and at age 4 and 5 we don't get to hike very far. But barring any other specific suggestions that may come up, I'd look for anything around Payson (heading out east on the 260 is nice) or Pine/Strawberry and on up north (Follow the 87 north of Pine and Strawberry to where the 260 splits off), remembering to be aware of possible snow/road closures on the northern route.

Another good area that I haven't cached in, but that has wonderful hiking in general, is Sedona. Prescott is also nice, and a bit closer. Flagstaff is nice if you get out of the town, but may not have the best weather.

On the whole weather thing, it's really hard to say. Some years they get a lot of snow. Lately they've had very little. It's hard to say right now what will be doable and what won't be.

Hope this helps; I'm not much help about specific caches, but if I can be of any assistance with the area in general, let me know. I've lived here over 10 years and my husband grew up here, so I'd be glad to help where I can.

Thanks to all of you.

There seem to be a bunch in a area surrounded by Hwy 51 (West), Lincoln (S), Shea (N), Tatum (E).

Does anyone know what this area is?

On cache that is there is GCJB82, you can see it on a map.

I have a silly question: Do I have to worry about rattle snakes or anything like that?

I'll be caching alone.

I'll also post this in the regional area.

Phoenix covers a bit of territory, but when I was out last, I was in the downtown area, near the new convention center.

If you use THIS CACHE as a center point for a search, you should be able to find some hiking caches. It was too hot when I was there for long hikes, so I stuck to stuff close to the road, but there are a bunch of other caches out there, and it was too bad of a ride from "downtown".

Edited by IV_Warrior

Ah the weather should be great for a couple days of caching..

My Favorite and will be yours is the caches in South Mountian Park

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...b4-87d4ce3e4239

Google map it and you will see the trails ect....

many fine caches and during winter months you will come accross both human and non human travelers so use your best judgment on which ones you give a wide berth to... :laughing: still bring water and drink it...

INRE: your post 10-23-06 about boundaries - (Lincoln, Shea, Tatum, Hwy 51) and cache - GCJB82; that is mostly Phoenix Mountain Preserve. My son and I found 5 caches there today, I had previously hiked the Piestewa Summit for a FTF on top. It is a good area, but I must agree with Team Evil Fish, Phoenix S. Mt. Park has alot to offer; at the present time I have logged all caches in S Mt Park - currently 61. There are also a great number of caches outside the park, from stop & hop caches to 4 star terrain. You really can't go wrong, two days of caching, you could actually fry both the Park & the Preserve. Cache On!