GPS Channels

I am looking to buy a new GPS...What is the difference in the amount of channels?

My old GPS was 12 channel

Am looking at an two different ones...20 or 30 channels.

What's the diff...please don't tell me 10 channels. :D

Thanks,

Kayakanimal

Not really much point in more than 12.

There are 24 regular satellites in orbit at the moment plus 4 WAAS satellites. I maximum of 12 regulars are visible at any time and only one WAAS is needed. 12 is as good as ony others.

The 20 channel receiver is interesting to say the least, considering you can't see more than half of the constellation at one and the WAAS birds.

But this brings up something that I read in a trade rag. A chip company has come out with a GPS receiver chip that will pick up the NAVSTAR/GPS, GLONASS, and GALILEO satellites, all at once.

This may get fun in the future...

Soon ( about 3 years) there will be around 35 gps plus galileo (I believe they will operate on the same frequency as the current gps sats) plus more waas plus egnos and probably more, so if you plan to keep your gps for more than a few years, go for at least 14 channels (this is probably best.). 30 is overkill but 20 is good.

Edited by ossumguywill

Soon ( about 3 years) there will be around 35 gps plus galileo (I believe they will operate on the same frequency as the current gps sats) plus more waas plus egnos and probably more, so if you plan to keep your gps for more than a few years, go for at least 14 channels (this is probably best.). 30 is overkill but 20 is good.

Guess now it's kind of a moot point...found the 32 channel for 10.00 more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMALLEST-SOLAR-Bluetoo...1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for all the help,

Kayakanimal