Muggle comments.. "So.. you coming from the Mars or what?"

Zartimus

Five favorites:

5: Keep going! It's over there! No! Ya went past it!

4: Are you seeing if they are going to replace the flowers?

3: Why would you do something that doesn't get you any money?

2: (at gunpoint) Why are you foolin around in the woods? Are you one'them animals rights freaks?

1: Get away from my mushroom patch!

I'm guessing you either ran into a hobbit, or someone who doesn't grow mushrooms because they look pretty... :wub:

Perhaps both, maybe neither. :-)

I'm pretty sure, as it was late spring, they were waiting for the morels to pop up. And some of these folks are rather territorial.

Walking on a bike path to a cache, I struck up a conversation with a jogger. I tried to explain Geocaching, but as soon as I mentioned the internet, the jogger started making faces. Evidently everything that is on the internet is the Evil Spawn of Satan and it all tries to lure us into dangerous and unforgiveable things :wub: I don't think I made a convert there :)

Walking on a bike path to a cache, I struck up a conversation with a jogger. I tried to explain Geocaching, but as soon as I mentioned the internet, the jogger started making faces. Evidently everything that is on the internet is the Evil Spawn of Satan and it all tries to lure us into dangerous and unforgiveable things :) I don't think I made a convert there :D

They probably think that everyone uses the Internet JUST for p0rn, when some of us use it for other things in addition to p0rn! :wub:

Walking on a bike path to a cache, I struck up a conversation with a jogger. I tried to explain Geocaching, but as soon as I mentioned the internet, the jogger started making faces. Evidently everything that is on the internet is the Evil Spawn of Satan and it all tries to lure us into dangerous and unforgiveable things :wub: I don't think I made a convert there :)

I have a co-worker who has expressed the same opinion, but then he feels the same way about cable tv.

Windrose

"So"... (thoughtfull pause) "Are you coming from the Mars or what?"

Of course, with Zartimus, it probably had less to do with the GPS and more to do with the Batman costume.

:huh::wacko:

The EXACT first thing I thought of when I saw the name on the thread! :cry:

:huh::cry:

Funniest question so far happened while we parked where about 7 other cars were scattered along the narrow road/shoulder/pull-off. By a guy who pulled in and parked behind us.

"What is so impressive that everyone comes HERE? There are always people parking here!"

Long story short- it is the only winter access to the folf course AND the best place to park for the caches along it. We told him about caching and he ended up joining us for the short walk. Nice guy, was very interested in caching and when we ran into him a few days later grocery shopping with his family he introduced us to them.

We are "those kinda crazy people with a GPS who let me find a cacher with them the other day in the woods and it was fun and we really should try it sometime!" His wife looked skeptical about the whole thing but you never know!

I had just found a waypoint of a multi-cache in a small park and was heading back to my car. I must have look very offical reading my clipboard and carrying a GPS because a lady approched me and asked if I knew that the lights were burned out in the women's bathroom and was I going to fix them. I had to explain that I was not a park maintenance person. I smile every time I recall the incident.

only time I was ever approached was on a multi situation along a `rails to trails' trail (for those who don't have these, they turn abandoned railroad lines into bike/walking trails). One man simply said "Excuse me, you wouldn' t happen to be geocaching, would you?" turns out he was interested in it and he asked me a few things about it. later down the trail, a man walking gave us a weird look and asked "Have you found it yet?"

I was beginning to think that the hider hired people to give clues. I half expected an elf to jump out of the woods and give us a clue! But really, I think the locals that use the trail were simply wise to what was going on.

I had a muggle walk up to me while I was investigating the gutters around a building. As he approached, I pretended to punch a few numbers on my GPS and then pretended it was a cell phone. He patiently waited while I "finished my conversation" and then asked me where I got my GPS/Cell phone combination. He also asked me why I had another cell phone clipped to my belt. Turns out the dude was a surveyor by profession. I confessed, and he even helped me look for the cache.

THAT is HILARIOUS!

I hid a cache in a 3-hole golf course at a nearby park that had just had its ownership transferred from the county to the city. In that transition period, the county stopped maintaining the course, and the city was slow to get a new groundskeeping crew on duty. As a result, the tees and greens got pretty overground and outta shape. When I first scoped out the area, I was using my laptop with USB GPSr fob and marching around the perimeter of the course looking for good hiding places, wearing my work plaid-shirt-and-khaki-pants, and not carrying any clubs.

On the way out, some of the local denizens of the course asked me if I was from the city and if I was planning to do anything anytime soon about the condition of the course! I told them I was a surveyor and would do what I could to pass that message along to the Powers That Be. Of course, when they found out I had a GPS, they asked me to use it to measure the distances from all of the tees to all of the greens, since they weren't sure that the numbers that the county/city had posted were correct! (Answer: They weren't)

--

Also near me is a nice little cache that was placed in what you would think would be a wide-open obvious location but which was deviously concealed. It defeated the searching abilities of many of the cachaholics in the area and went unfound for six months. Then it sat unfound for four more months before I found it on the second visit. But during my first visit, as I was searching for it, a dad on the nearby playground hollered over to me "It's not there." I went over and asked "Do you know what I'm looking for?" He said, "Yeah, my neighbor is a cache hunter and she said it's been stolen." How wrong she was :santa:

--

I placed a cache in a nature preserve adjacent to an office complex. Here's a snippet of a log entry for that cache that I particularly enjoyed:

Now here comes the security guard. He says, "hi, why do you ladies have those flashlights in your hands"? We said in a matter of fact tone, "In case it gets dark". He said that's not going to happen for another 2-3 hours. We said, "We just want to be prepared, just in case".