Muggle comments.. "So.. you coming from the Mars or what?"

Zartimus

We were doing some night caching and we hit a micro in a mini mall. After we signed the log I got the munchies and headed to the quickie mart for a snack.. I must have wierded out the guy behind the counter with all the geocaching gear I had on because he said to me in a thick accent..

"So"... (thoughtfull pause) "Are you coming from the Mars or what?"

That's about the dog-god-darnest funniest thing a muggle has ever laid on me(grin)....

I almost yelled "All your base are belong to us!!!!!"

What's the funniest thing a muggle ever asked you while you were geocaching?

A store employee asked me if I was reading/checking the meter.

A LEO asked me who I worked for, late night caching in an urban area - thought I was undercover, he saw the antenna from my GPS in my coat pocket.

A lady walking her dog in a park - did you loose something, no just looking for a key holder my kids lost, she spends the next 30 minutes helping me look for the micro.

Game warden (who sneaks up from behind as I am poking around) - did you loose something. Not funny at the time but he must have got a laugh out of me as I nearly jumped out of my boots.

We were waiting for a quiet moment to replace a cache in a muggle filled park. One lady stopped while we waiting by the tree that sheltered the hide and asked if we were looking for "that treaure thing?". We looked at her strangely, she continued in quite an agressive manner, "its some internet thing, the treasure is up in that tree somewhere!" We knew that was a silly thing to say....because it was actually sitting at my feet right in her line of sight the whole time! :o:huh::yikes:

We were out doing some night caching back in Maryland, it was 6 degrees and around midnight when the police rolled up to the area where we were hunting.

The huge, black officer came walking down into the woods and said " You all making me work!" He "detained" us until he figured out what the hell these 3 knuckleheads were doing out in the woods.....He sat in his squad car and we stood outside.

STP

I had a muggle walk up to me while I was investigating the gutters around a building. As he approached, I pretended to punch a few numbers on my GPS and then pretended it was a cell phone. He patiently waited while I "finished my conversation" and then asked me where I got my GPS/Cell phone combination. He also asked me why I had another cell phone clipped to my belt. Turns out the dude was a surveyor by profession. I confessed, and he even helped me look for the cache.

In a small, open park with paved walking paths, and one little clump of trees. The cache was obviously in the trees. We're standing, back to the path, staring into the trees, clutching GPS and waiting for an elderly pair of walkers to go past. Just as they reach us, he says, "yep! Those are trees, alright!"

Smart alecky old man.

The trouble we have here in Iowa, is people with, well, a

certain interest, getting too friendly, if you know what I mean.

Some roadside parks, including two where I have caches,

one may have to leave and come back later, less our intentions

be miscontrued! I have problems in checking those caches,

because of such visitors.

Anyone else have such problems?

The trouble we have here in Iowa, is people with, well, a

certain interest, getting too friendly, if you know what I mean.

Some roadside parks, including two where I have caches,

one may have to leave and come back later, less our intentions

be miscontrued! I have problems in checking those caches,

because of such visitors.

Anyone else have such problems?

There are a number of threads on this already. Yeesh - lets keep this one family friendly. :yikes:

What's the funniest thing a muggle ever asked you while you were geocaching?

"Oh, you getting ready to do some gardening? Listen, before you dig in, could you direct me while I back my boat into the water?"

"Are you a city arborist, or do you work for the University? Why do you need to do all this construction?"

(In a gay cruising area) "You're new here, aren't ya."

Edited by Kacky

I pulled in to do maintenance in a park n ride lot. I realize that the car next to me has tthe motor running. I decide to wait them out. The cache is about 20 feet in front of us. After a few minutes of pretending to be organizing stuff, I look over to see a cute blonde female. I smiile - she smiles. She rolls down the window and asks, "You wanna date?"

Oh great, she's working the parking lot.

I had an overzealous forest ranger who is famous/infamous locally for not being a fan of geocaching come over and tell me that I was not allowed to use my GPS inside the Adirondack Park...I told him that I was a local geocacher and had hid numerous geocaches with DEC permission...he had a "wait...this isn't a parachute" moment, seemed to have an internal debate over getting angry with me, and then left... ;)

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA
I had an overzealous forest ranger who is famous/infamous locally for not being a fan of geocaching come over and tell me that I was not allowed to use my GPS inside the Adirondack Park...I told him that I was a local geocacher and had hid numerous geocaches with DEC permission...he had a "wait...this isn't a parachute" moment, seemed to have an internal debate over getting angry with me, and then left... ;)

Jamie - NFA

That's like telling you that you can't use a compass. What a rube.

"Are you doing another biomedical study?"

A middle-aged gentleman said this to my teenage daughter as she waited, nonchallantly, on a footbridge while I quietly poked around underneath for a cache. She said "No", and he left, and we had a laugh about it, wondering if this was some sort of secret code phrase for "geocaching". :)

Then we started wondering: What did he mean by "another biomedical study"? ;):D:D

Edited by charliewhiskey

A Muggle once told me:

"Oh, your one of them. It's right over there."

:ph34r:

He was an interesting old guy, but he said I had to much time on my hands if I did this for fun. :ph34r:

As opposed to him who knows where the thing is...

BTW: Why ELSE would we do this. Can I make it MY job? I'd spend 8 hours a day looking for micros in the woods or under lamp skirts....

--MGb

"Stay off this one, this one is mine."

I wear a camo hunting bag / fanny pack with a blaze orange vest when I go caching. So I guess I could look like a hunter?...

Anyway, that is what a hunter told me when I was walking by him on the trail. He said that trail was his (pointing to a trail on the left). Of course that is the one that cache was down, so I had to wait for him to leave. His trail is a good word for it. Trail reflectors and markers, treestands everywhere, corn bait piles everywhere, salt blocks everywhere.

I wanted to tell him that "mine" was down farther, but I told him I was just hiking.

A man in his late-60s or early-70s, after observing me poking around in a small, town park:

Him: Any luck?

Me: :ph34r: Um. No. Do you KNOW what I'm doing?

Him: No. But there was some fella here last week looking for it. He couldn't find it either.

He then went on to tell me that I shouldn't waste my time checking the nearby rocky area. The "fella" had already done that and it's not there. :ph34r:

On one of my first cache hunts I had someone ask me if I was bird watching.

One time while I was checking on one of my own caches in a local city park, three or four grade-school age kids came racing through on their bikes. They skidded to a halt when they saw me standing there, with no one else around. So there I was, all by myself with these kids staring at me in an otherwise empty park. One of them asked me, "Do you own this park?" (I think they thought they were in trouble). I said, "No, I'm waiting for my friend. We were going to play tennis. If you see my friend, will you tell him I'm waiting for him?" They said, "Okay," and drove off on their bikes.

One other time I was trying to find a nano-cache hidden underneath a billboard, and a guy comes out of the building next door and asks if he could help me. I said, "No, I'm just checking out this sign." I thought my response was pretty lame, but he bought it, shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

One time, while fishing with my kids in a local park, I spotted some people getting out of their car with a gps in their hands. We had already grabbed the caches in this particular park, and were just there to fish that day.

We were returning to our car, with our poles in-hand as they were heading in to the park. As we neared them, I asked, "Out caching?" They both froze like a couple of deer caught in the headlights. Their mouths hung open, and one of them stammered out , "Yeah, yeah we are." I started laughing, and got in the car and left. I posted a note to the cache page when I got home saying it was nice to "meet" whoever was out there. They sent me an email apologizing for being so nervous. They said it was their first time being "made", and they weren't sure how to respond. :ph34r:

To get credit for the "Travel Bug" virt in Santa Fe, N.M., Me, Saxman, and several others in our party had lined our GPS receivers up to take a picture.

A couple of muggles walked bye and said, "Oooh, look at all the cell phones." I think we laughed about that off and on the rest of the night.

My dad & I were standing in the middle of an old iron bridge in the country a couple weeks ago. The guy from the house next to the bridge walked out to us and asked us if we were planning to finally replace the bridge. We told him we were just sight-seeing and he said he thought we were with the county or state since they have come out to inspect the bridge before.

He stood there talking to us forever and Dad found the cache while just standing there. So we then came clean and explained geocaching to him. He thought it sounded very cool!

I was searching for a micro in a neighborhood park. The GPS said it was amongst a grove of older trees near a pond. An elderly man, who was fishing, watched me carefully then asked if I was with the park's department and if I were going to cut down the trees.

I assured him the trees were healthy and would be left alone.